Now, My Daughter Wants a Shot!

crawdad

Dammit, Jim, Shut Up!
See what you've started Chris? Lol! Anyway, this is a song my daughter Jessica wrote and performed back in October of last year, just after she turned 15. All I did was set up a couple of mics and mix a bit. I wanted more vocal, but she sings rather softly and she bangs that guitar pretty loud so I couldn't get all I wanted. Of course, I wanted to do a full production, but, alas. She wouldn't have it. "Its more natural to just sing and play Dad". Well, I like it as is too. One of these days, though.....

Metaphoric Moon

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1522/singles.shtml

Excellent!Man you have some talented kids.She has a beautiful voice and an excellent sense of melody.Pretty good writer too just like her dad.;)

Is she playing this too?Excellent playing.This sounds great just like it is but with a touch of your production techniques along with full band instrumentation this would be over the top.I wanna hear some harmony vocals!

This is great man.*****

nice stuff. she's a very good singer crawdad. man i hope my kid likes music when he's older.

what's up with everyone's kids these days?

it cracks me up that she wanted it natural but you wanted to fuck with it. the wisdom of children eh?

Al my internet brother........that makes her my internet niece I suppose.
That's really good man.....she wrote everything? And she's playing the guitar while she sings? Impressive .......a very mature voice....there are the few giveaways, but really...not many. She has a great tone to her voice....it has some body.....not that thin whispy voice you usually hear at that age. Chris' daughter has a mature voice too. Maybe ya'll ought to collab them. That'd be cool.
It's a good song too.....nice chord changes and a few 'surprises'.....well gee....what a surprise that your kid would be a good writer. :rolleyes:
Very nice Mr. proud daddy, very nice.

erichenryus--Yeah, I'm slowly getting her used to the idea that its OK to ADD some accompaniment to what she's doing. Maybe next time we will go for the full record. I actually wouldn't want to add too much--a light rhythm section, maybe a guitar part and--yes--some background vocals. Shes just started to play out a tiny bit and the people that hear her are raving. I don't want to push her too far and too fast. Its kind of overwhelming to her. Deep down, though, she has some great ideas and a very honest approach to her music.

Kramer--Yeah, she wrote and performed the song. She has a bunch of songs, and I put this up because it was short and pretty easy to digest. Oh man--I am dying to be dad the producer! One small step at a time. I figure in three years, she's gonna be ready to take on the world!

Lt. Bob--Ah yes--you are Uncle Bob now! I really like her voice too. I wish I could have captured it in more detail. This was "live" so to speak. I told her next time, we are going to do it track by track so I can concentrate one track on her voice. Hey that collab with Jamie is a neat idea--the Jamie and Jessica show! Thanks for dropping in and for the comments on this one. Hope all is A OK in ol' Baton Rouge!

Wow - Sounds like Joni Mitchell with a better guitar.

Man, I'm glad you posted this. But now I'm changing my answer..."Yes, " my daughter Jaimee wrote "Closer To Fine." She wrote it back when she was in college (ages 8-9).

And I went to see the doctor of philosophy,

With a poster of Rasputin and a beard down to his knee,

He never did marry or see a B-grade movie,

He graded my performance, he said he could see through me,

I spent four years prostrate to the higher mind
Got my paper and I was free

I stopped by the bar at 3 a.m.,

To seek solace in a bottle or possibly a friend,

I woke up with a headache like my head against a board,

Twice as cloudy as I'd been the night before,

And I went in seeking clarity

Pretty elemental stuff, I agree, but she was only 8, after all.

Oh, and my daughter played her Baby Taylor (true) with her FEET (sounds like it, anyway, lol).

Seriously, I remember you posting a long time ago (last October, I guess, lol), that your daughter was starting to express some interest in recording, and I was wondering why you didn't post anything...Then I figured you were probably doing some kind of classy parental protective thing, and that I therefore was probably committing some kind of internet etiquette faux paus by posting some of Jaimee's efforts, lol. Of course, it didn't stop me :D

Tell her I'm on my 9th listen, and there's nothing else going into the player for awhile...this is great. No way she is/was 15 - I mean, you're at least 80, right? And she's only 15? Just doesn't add up.

:D
:D

No more jokes; this is more than special - next time, more vocal, okay?

crawdad said:
Hey that collab with Jamie is a neat idea--the Jamie and Jessica show!
In all seriousness; I'm only about 1000% positive that Jaimee would jump at the opportunity to sing backups on this or any other song your J sings. Of course, being my daughter, there WILL be 17 backup vocal tracks, but let's try, eh?

The song sounds nice but the vocals are distorting on my system. Sounds kinda crunchy.

Great voice..so humble and sincere.

Daughters that rock

Crawdad, unbelievable man.
You know I'm beginning to think the daughters have it locked up tight here.
I'm almost gettin scared to go down to dad's and lay somethin down. But now that I took 15.75 days to go through the Juliet thread(unbelievable song btw) I think I could just lay down some acoustic & vox, buy the old man some beer and tell him I don't think he can play that there guitar, and let you guys get us all on the radio with your mixin prowess.
What do you say?!
(Not to take anything away from Chris cause I'd probably have to end up gettin' him to sing the thing for me)That guy's scarry good.
Anyway,that's all to say that your daughter is really, really good.
Tell her we all think so. 15? What she was born on leap year or something? jk

-ok

Oh yeah, another young talented daughter, very nice singing AND playing... Some production would sound great on this. but I guess you're working on that...:)

She kind of reminds me of Suzanne Vega vocally....

Excellent!!...

:)

jake-owa said:
The song sounds nice but the vocals are distorting on my system. Sounds kinda crunchy.
You mentioned clipping on Jaimee's tune too, which was actually a surprise to me, b/c if it clipped, it was all me...her tracks were fine. I don't hear any distortion on this mix at all???

Your cables okay?...b/c we all know my ears aren't.

Crawdad,
I was sittin here thinking I had heard her voice before, then Kelly mentioned Suzanne Vega. The similarity is unreal! This young lady has a beautiful voice, smooth and mellow! I guess she gets the songwriting skills honestly! This is heartwarming to see and hear. I would love to hear her and Jaimee do this tune also.

bd

chrisharris said:
"Yes, " my daughter Jaimee wrote "Closer To Fine." She wrote it back when she was in college (ages 8-9).

And I went to see the doctor of philosophy,

With a poster of Rasputin and a beard down to his knee,

He never did marry or see a B-grade movie,

He graded my performance, he said he could see through me,

I spent four years prostrate to the higher mind
Got my paper and I was free

I stopped by the bar at 3 a.m.,

To seek solace in a bottle or possibly a friend,

I woke up with a headache like my head against a board,

Twice as cloudy as I'd been the night before,

And I went in seeking clarity

Pretty elemental stuff, I agree, but she was only 8, after all.

She wrote this at 8? Are you SERIOUS?!! Its not elementary stuff--its genius. I'm grief stricken now. After 52 years in this world I can't write with that kind of clarity and wisdom. Tell her that Mr. Hit Songwriter is totally humbled and blown away. You have a monster talent in the house Chris, and her name is Jamie. I'm gonna apply for that pumping gas job at the Gulf station down the road, where I will be comfortable working with my peers.

Folks, its 4:30 AM. I hoped to respond to all--and I will. Right now, though, I have to sleep. Thank you all for all the great comments and I will return when I am coherent again.

chrisharris said:
Very rarely, lol.

Damn, I am so tired. What did I miss? And WHO THE HELL DID WRITE THIS SONG???!!! Sounds like Janis Ian. Come clean now Chris. :D

crawdad said:
Damn, I am so tired. What did I miss? And WHO THE HELL DID WRITE THIS SONG???!!! Sounds like Janis Ian. Come clean now Chris. :D
The Indigo Girls...Amy Ray and Emily Saliers are their real names I think. Pretty much an acoustic duo with some very intricate (and loud) harmonies. I'm a fan, lol.

Damn, Chris. I'm so gullible and trusting at face value. Anyway, very cool song. And Jamie is the real deal. You're a lucky dad, as am I. Ain't it great?:D

To be continued....hello bed....God bless the musicmakers......

chrisharris said:
In all seriousness; I'm only about 1000% positive that Jaimee would jump at the opportunity to sing backups on this or any other song your J sings. Of course, being my daughter, there WILL be 17 backup vocal tracks, but let's try, eh?

now that would be cool.

Back