noise while recording

zan1976

Greetings fellow ...Homerecorders (or something)

I have a home studio and I've been having trouble with noise in my recordings and I was wondering if I could get some help from the experts.
I record in Cubase 5.1.0

My setup:
audio interface: Roland Edirol UA-25EX
mic: tbone sc400 from the thomann cyberstore (sorry i'm not posting the links, but it appears I'm not allowed until I have made 10 posts or more. Oh well)

Nothing really impressive, I know, but still, the noise is quite a lot.
The edirol is usb-connected, could it be that I need a better cable? Tried several, though.
Would a DI solve the problem? (any suggestions on that, would be greatly appreciated, bear in mind that the budget is strictly limited to 2 figures!)
Any other suggestions?
If any other info is needed on the setup, please let me know.

Thanx in advance!

come to think of it, could it have anything to do with grounding? What should I check?
Sorry for the naivety, but this IS the newbies' section after all! :)

Hi!

It could be grounding if you are running laptop. If so then see, if the noise stops when you run the laptop on battery power.

It could be the T-bone. My friend has the same model - it has broken twice. (making really bad static noise that goes away when you touch the mic. I guess the mic just feels lonely... :D) :spank:

Or it could just be ordinary noise - AC, computer vents, cars passing by, buzzing lights, whatever you have in your room. Curable by closing the door and windows, turning off conditioner, moving the computer as far away as you can...

You could post a clip of your recording.

Once you get 10 posts, you can post links, just go to the 'Get your 10 posts here' thread to get them.

We'd have to hear the 'noise' you are getting to help, but Seidy's idea that it oculd be laptop power supply noise is a common one.

DITTO to the above comments...

You have to try and isolate it...though with only a basic setup and "one of each"...it's hard to remove something and still record to see if the noise is gone.

View attachment Audio 01_01.mp3
hello again and thank you for the quick replies.
First of all, I do not use a laptop. Does this exclude grounding as the culprit?
Secondly, what's cross wiring? What should I check?
I've tried attaching an mp3 of the noise, I hope this worked. This is with gain at 12 o clock.
Would a DI improve things?
Thanks to every1 for the patience.

Appears to be buzzing. Could you try with another mic and cable? It could be both

I don't see how DI would fix the problem.

Thank you Seidy. Unfortunately, I've tried both another mic and another cable and the waveforms were pretty much the same.

I was thinking DI because the recording itself is kinda feeble (I probably should have posted an actual recording and not just the noise) so it needs a lot of gain to be sensibly audible and this boosts the noise. So if the signal is stronger I can ease on the gain and thus reduce noise, right? My friend wikipedia says: "The DI performs level matching, balancing, and either active buffering or passive impedance matching/impedance bridging to minimize noise, distortion, and ground loops."

Well, well, research on that quote also brought up that one: "Sometimes people confuse preamps with DI boxes; this is an easy mistake because so many devices include the functions of both." I probably am one of those "sometimes people":p, could it be that preamps is what I need?

Thanks again

I would another interface instead of preamp. Thats because you need to feed the preamp signal to somewhere and that "somewhere" is again the same interface.

Try input 2 also and see if it has the same problem.

Yeah, but maybe, come to think of it, my real problem is not noise per se, but a weak signal, which requires a lot of gain. No one seems to have had a problem with noise with the edirol from what I can see on the net. Since the noise exists with other mics, its source is between the edirol and the pc, right? So, if the signal sent to the edirol is stronger with the preamp, the noise will presumably not be louder too, and I can just ease on the gain and thus lower the noise. Or so my little newbie brain says. Does this make any sense at all?

As for your suggestion on the input, in the edirol, only input 1 is for the mic and connected to the phantom power.

Last edited:
I hear a low frequency continuous noise that sounds like it could be a fan/fridge or other noise getting picked up through the mic stand (I had that problem with my fridge in another room).

As for your suggestion on the input, in the edirol, only input 1 is for the mic and connected to the phantom power.
I belive both XLR inputs are for mic's. Even the block diagram on the unit itself shows that phantom is engaged on both channels.

But yeah, it could be something what Mike told. (is the low cut on on the mic?)

Back