Newbie needs gear selection help

Okay, let me get back to all-in-ones for a moment.

The Tascam 488mkII records 8-tracks onto cassette tape, up to 4-simul, 2x speed, and is a full-blown Portastudio. Still small & self-contained, and was the top-o'-th'-line cassette Portastudio, when it was discontinued.

The 488 & 488mkII is a middle step between the 4-track cassette Portastudios, and the 8-track-1/4" 388.

488mkII's still one of my favorites. See:

Attachments

• tascam 488mkiia.jpg
    tascam 488mkiia.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 94
Here's the 488 [std]. It's a little lower-tech than the 488mkII.

See: Tascam 488

Attachments

• tascam 488.jpg
    tascam 488.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 87
Some people feel badly if I don't mention the Tascam 464 Portastudio, 4-tracker.

The 464 IS a 4-BUSS machine, and is very nice in it's own right. It has 12-inputs, 4-XLR connectors, 4-full mixer strips, 2X speed recording, up to 4-simul recording, and something that sets it apart from previous Portastudios,... it has that LCD-MENU-DRIVEN TRACK ASSIGNMENT & LEVEL METERS. It's a little more high-tech than the rest of the Portastudios, exept for the 644, which is quite a bit more complex.

Anyway, as the original question went, this person is not a tech whiz, and therefore I saved mentioning the techy-cool-464, up until this point. BTW, the 464 is the same vintage as the 488std, & basically cast in the same image.

It's more complex than previous Portas mentioned, is on par technically with the 246, [different styling of course], and is LESS complex than the 644.

Still, it's a Portastudio, and not rocket science.

Attachments

• tascam 464.jpg
    tascam 464.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Oh yeah, I was actually going to ask you about the 488 and whether it was any good.

Question: why does the 38 have 3 heads, but the new and improved tsr8 only have 2? cost cutting measure? Is it a very useful feature or is it just a nice accessory and except for calibration, it doesn't help much?

Great work Reel!!!

Hi Dave and all,

Just to make this most interesting thread going I wanna ask (Dave "Reel") what were the last 1/4" 4 track reel to reel machines produced by TASCAM ? I've heard that the 34B was produced until '97. Is this correct ? I mean I still can download the 34B manual from the TASCAM site so seems to me this model was the last to go.

Daniel

The 34B.

Synchronizers and sync-compatible recorders can be synchronized to each other, or other sync compatible devices, video, sequencers, drum machines, and,... -gulp-,... digital. In fact, the PC-analog-reel sync hookup is now what you'd otherwise call "in vogue".

Back to ANALOG,... AAMOF, RICK FITZPATRICK had two analog MSR-16's in sync.

I'll take a quick break. BB later!
[... as they clamor for more glam pics!];)

Thanx;)

The 34B, back-at-ya' !!!

You gotta love it!;)

Attachments

• tascam 34b back a.jpg
    tascam 34b back a.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
The 488mkII's a pretty cool unit.

I'm pretty sure going from 3-head design recorders to 2-head design was a move to cut costs. It brings the complexity of the internal circuitry down a notch or two. I can't see any other advantage, really.

I mean, no one's ever accused Tascam of going-cheap on us over the years, have they? [Ha,- yeah!];)

As long as I mentioned it, let me throw in a pic of the Tascam 644 Portastudio.

EXCUSE ME, it's not Portastudio here, it's the 644 MIDISTUDIO. It's the most complex 4-tracker out there, & acutally has a full onboard midi sync capability, like the TSR-8, MSR-16 & 24. I believe this one records 4-simul, 2X speed, and is also a 4-buss/10-input mixer.

See, 644:

Attachments

• tascam 644.jpg
    tascam 644.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
... and the Tascam 688 Portastudio.

EXCUSE ME AGAIN, it's the 688 MIDISTUDIO. Probably the top of the line Porta-. It's a highly complex 8-track cassette Portastudio, onboard midi sync, 2X speed, awesome 20x8 mixer with 10-XLR inputs, records up to 8-tracks simultaneously.

It's not the newest, but it's the high tech-iest Porta-, ever.;)

Tascam 688 Midistudio:

Attachments

• tascam 688m.jpg
    tascam 688m.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Okay fellow gearslutz, I'll wrap up, for the time being, with the Tascam 238.

The 238 Syncaset. It's 8-track rackmount cassette, 2X speed, records 8-simul, built-in sync capability, a really great unit.

Requires external mixer, but what the heck!

C'ya!;)

Attachments

• tascam 238.jpg
    tascam 238.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Okay, let's see what's out there past 8 tracks. I mean, I've completely hijacked this thread, and now it's just you showing and us drooling. So keep it coming. What do you got in a 16 track model.

Seriously, I think this thread is going to help a lot more people than me to understand the differences between different Tascam units and the features of each.

Maybe you've done this before, Dave, but this is the first time I've seen a comprehensive thread on it. Heck, why not throw in some mixers if you want.:D

ps-as you have time, of course.

Sure, here's the much sought after MS-16, 1"-16-track.

Ghost of FM has one of these puppies, among others, and the MS-16 has a good reputation in the industry. Currently they're an affordable $1600, more or less, depending on the day.

Tascam MS-16, w/dbx

Attachments

• tascam ms-16a.jpg
    tascam ms-16a.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 50
Re: Sure, here's the much sought after MS-16, 1"-16-track.

A Reel Person said:
Ghost of FM has one of these puppies, among others, and the MS-16 has a good reputation in the industry. Currently they're an affordable $1600, more or less, depending on the day.

Tascam MS-16, w/dbx

That one almost looks like mine except, I didn't get the TZ621 metal clampers!:mad:

Mine has the regular brown plastic ones.

Looking at my MS-16, I can't help but wonder why they choose such a hideous color for it? They must have gotten a deal from Sherwin Williams or something?

Cheers! :)

Here's the Tascam MSR-16, 1/2"-16-track.

RICK FITZPATRICK has two of these, synchronized.

This one's pictured with optional RC-416 remote.

;)

Attachments

• tascam msr-16bb.jpg
    tascam msr-16bb.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 86
Here's what I have, the MSR-24, 1"-24-track.

The TSR-8 and MSR series has the LED-meters, auto-punch/auto-locate, & built-in sync capability.

Takes the hard-to-find RC-424, so anyone who knows of one, please let me know!

Thx!

Attachments

• tascam msr-24.jpg
    tascam msr-24.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 88
Back