Newbie needs gear selection help

JFYI, I may be repeating myself, but I have two mint 246's,...

and despite being 15 year old machines, they are mint, indeed.

So, point being, is that some mint units are still out there, but it does take some time and careful Ebaying to locate and secure one. I have two, so I'm not worried.

I know also, that cjacek has a mint 244, which he's very happy with, but also got a less-than-mint 246, that was slightly misrepresented on auction. So, buyer beware.

I got mine, though.

I'll respond to the next questions, after a quick intermission.

-Hey, like the pics? See, I've gone on at length about Tascam Portastudio features, etc, but IMO the pictures really cut to the chase, and puts it all in perspective.

... to be continued....

The pictures are cool. At least I get an idea of what you are talking about and I don't have to run to ebay to do a search. Although, I usually do, just to get a rough idea of how much this things go for.

Okay, I got my popcorn, when's intermission over?:D

I'm making some important phone calls.

Remember the phone? It's that thing, that people used to dial a number and put up to their ear, and had actual person-to-person conversations with! Remember person-to-person communication?

Well, no, me neither, because I'm on one of those 'automated phone system front ends', and have yet to talk to a real person!

Anyway, I'll try to squeek out a response, while I'm waiting on the phone. But, I'll be on the phone for the next few minutes.

Okay, well, watch'ya'ass!

I was bored at work too, & now I'm unemployed! Worse, my buddy just called me, and he just got layed off today! Yikes!

Work sucks. Oh, where was I?

388? 87 lbs and 1985. A ton of fun, no doubt, an awesome machine.

Okay, it's hard to stack the 388 directly against the 38 and TSR8, because the 388 includes a killer 8x8x2 mixer, that pretty much sets it apart from the others. The 38 and TSR8 require an external mixer, at an extra cost.

Likewise, the 388 is all-complete, including dbx NR, and the 38 requires external DX-4D dbx units [2], also at an extra cost. The TSR8, however, does include built-in DBX noise reduction.

The 388 runs on 1/4" tape on 7" reels, & is spec'd for 1800' reels of [Ampex] Quantegy 457, but will work well with 1200' reels of 456, being an equivalent. 1/4"-7" media cost is about $7-$10/reel, retail, but I have a line on 456-compatible new Quantegy tape, on 1200'/7" reels, white box, for $2.95/reel. That's the best reel deal going, right now.

The 38 and TSR 8 are both 1/2" machines. 1/2" tape can cost $40-$50/reel, for about 30 minutes of record time at 15 ips. Production cost is higher on 1/2", but so is resulting production value.

The 388 is a great machine, that sounds great, and is an all-in-one Portastudio fanatics dream come true. Sound quality is very good-to-excellent, well above the cassette Portastudio's capability. The 388's a noticeable, appreciable boost in production value over cassette 4-track.

The 38 and TSR8 are also great machines in their own right, that are also a relative cut above in hifi audio, over the 388. The difference between 1/4" track width in production and 1/2", is that the 1/2" has more headroom, which means the 1/2" tape can hold more raw magnetism, track-for-track, than 1/4" tape. Therefore, you get a higher signal-to-noise ratio, given that all other factors are equal.

Also, an important factor is that the 388 runs 7.5 ips and the 38 & TSR8 run at 15 ips, so you'd get another boost in hifi audio quality at 15 ips, relative to 7.5 ips. However, that being said, the 388 running at 7.5 ips sounds really great, and it's not a huge issue, considering what you get in the all-in-one 388.

There's a formula, which escapes me now, but there's an appreciable bump up in production value & sound quality, when going from 1/4" wide to 1/2" wide tape. You have to pay for that bump up in quality, though. For every level you go up in tape-reels and production formats, there's a relatively higher cost.

Any production format you choose, there's relative costs and tradeoffs, so for however much you want to pursue more professional sound quality, consider the costs associated with it.

IMO, it's worth it. For however much a 388, 38 & M30 mixer, or TSR8 & M308 mixer costs, it's relative, but those units & basic formats are very worthwhile. Also, FWIW, considering the cost ratio, the 4-track cassette Portastudio and/or Syncaset is still well worth it's relative cost.

For however much you want to place yourself into multitracking, you just weigh the options, and buy in at the relative level you feel comfortable at.

Q: Which do I have: 4-track cassette Portastudios, Syncasets, the 388 or the 38 & matching M30 mixer?

A: All of the above.

;)

Here's the TSR-8

It's a much newer design than the 38.

The TSR-8 has LED-meters, auto-locate/auto-punch, and plug compatible synchronicity with Tascam/"Accessory 1 & 2" synchronizers. That, plus built-in dbx, makes the TSR-8 quite an advancement in technology over the 38. See:

Attachments

• tascam tsr-8f.jpg
    tascam tsr-8f.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 119
The TSR-8's remote is called the RC-408

Sometimes included with the sale of TSR-8, bundled, but not always. Here's one auctioning on it's own.

Attachments

• tascam rc-408.jpg
    tascam rc-408.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 110
The 38 takes a different remote, the RC-71,...

refer to previous pic of 22-4/RC-71. Couldn't find a pic of RC-71 on it's own, but another wired remote is also compatible with the 38, 30-series, etc. It's the Tascam RC-90.

Oops, no pic of the RC-90, either. I'll take one and post it, asap.

Here, I'll throw in this glam pic of the 38.;)

Attachments

• tascam 38j.jpg
    tascam 38j.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 104
Get the 38 or TSR-8, and you'll be in need of a mixer,...

probably starting with the M30,...[see previous pic], maybe up through this, the M320B.

Attachments

• tascam m320b 1.jpg
    tascam m320b 1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 100
three head vs two head: advantages, disadvantages?

What does Tascam 1&2 synchronizers get you. What standard equipment can you sink to? Sync to each other?

This is the coolest thread ever!:D

Three tape heads allows off-tape "confidence" monitoring of the signal, real time,...

more or less. This is of some utility in the studio during normal production. The 3-head deck, with it's off-tape monitoring capability, also makes the process of calibration much easier.

The 2-head deck does not have any real-time off-tape monitoring. To monitor the actual recorded signal, would require you stop, rewind, and listen back to that segment of tape. Likewise, because of the relative limitation of a 2-head deck versus a 3-, the 2-head deck is much more laborious to calibrate, with uncounted REC-REW-PLAY-REW, repetitious operations to get all tracks calibrated.

Thanx;)

Back