Newbie needs gear selection help

WOWIE KAZOWIE!!

'Holy headstack, Batman!' ;)

Damn nice pics, my man!;)

Oh yes, the 244,... [sniff, sniff/teary-eyed],...

Ha!;)

/DA

Re: WOWIE KAZOWIE!!

A Reel Person said:
'Holy headstack, Batman!' ;)

Damn nice pics, my man!;)

Oh yes, the 244,... [sniff, sniff/teary-eyed],...

Ha!;)

/DA

Thankyouverymuch! .... Now if I could just tell you how hard it was to get a decent pict of the heads .... Whew .... ! ;) I must say, though, that I had to reduce the size and quality of the picts to make them fit to the requirements of this posting board. So, yeah, they're actually better at full quality :) . And to think that I also got, with the mint 244, the original english language manual, an international manual with several other languages, a schematic of the 244, the original 244 color brochure, TASCAM catalog with all of their now discontinued gear, warranty card and a couple of other small brochures ... All mint for $154 USD! Downright criminal, ain't it ?? :D

Daniel

Last edited:
Those two or three brochures are just the icing on the cake, & valuable on their own!

The mint 244 looks great & sounds great. That one's absolutely mint! Nice score!;)

Ok, since we're giving advice on gear selection to a newbie, and keeping in tune with analog and vintage gear, I thought I'd pass a recommendation for monitoring/tracking headphones. These are still available (were first made in the 70's) from KOSS. They can be bought very cheap @ $60.00 from www.jandr.com . They have the best customer service by far! I ordered from BC, Canada (they're in New York), and via USPS for something like $10 shipping, I received my headphones in 3 business days! Damn, did they send it via Fedex for no charge ?? Ha! The only reason I'm plugging the company 'cause I am genuinely impressed with their quick shipping and price of the headphones. Oh, yeah, these are called KOSS PRO 4AA and are very accurate, built tough and isolate the sound very well. They're a bit heavy but I got used to them. Can now track for 2 hrs plus without taking them off. Can anyone say V I N T A G E ? ;)

Daniel

Attachments

• tn_dsc00103.jpg
    tn_dsc00103.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 90
Re: Those two or three brochures are just the icing on the cake, & valuable on their own!

A Reel Person said:
The mint 244 looks great & sounds great. That one's absolutely mint! Nice score!;)

Thanks Man! Couldn't have bought it without YOUR help! You're DA MAN!! :cool:

Daniel

Oh YEAH!. . . uh . . . well . . . I can take a picture of my non-mint original gray 424. :D

Actually it works pretty good and looks close to mint. But the power jack is wearing out so the thing randomly turns off. Also the transport controls are wearing out and don't work the first time you push them. :(

Thanks for the great pics guys. Keep 'em coming. :D First thing I'm going to do this weekend is throw that stupid ADAT in the trash!:D JK. Actually, I'm watching for a good deal on a TSR8. That looks like the way to go. Enough modern stuff to make the thing work with the rest of the studio, but you get to watch reels spin as you record so it's super cool. I'm assuming it sounds better too.:D

Here's the Tascam RC-71 remote, for the 30-Series decks, & then some!

See: RC-71, wired remote.

Fits: 30-series, 388, 22-series, 246, 234, 133, 122,... & other decks too!;)

Attachments

• tascam rc-71.jpg
    tascam rc-71.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 71
Hmm, that a little simpler than the previous remote for the 24 track unit. :D

What kind of remote does the TSR-8 take?

Reel Person, thanks very much for the crash course in portastudios. Heck, I never even knew what a portastudio was before this. I thought they were those blue-green outdoor toilets at rock concerts.

But seriously now... between the 424MK III and 424 MKII:
does the 3 have the capability to produce a better SOUND in it's finished product, or will will it just get your there easier/quicker than the 2 ? I don't mean better sound/signal off the tape, as in better head, but can you put stuff ON the tape with the 3, better than you can with the 2 ?

Thanks again.

IMO, the sound between the 424mkIII and 424mkII is relatively the same.

You obviously get the pride of ownership, as first & sole owner of a 424mk3, when purchased as brand new gear, retail. Dealer exchange is usually 30 days and factory warranty is 1 year, which are important factors to consider, in case your Porta- has a problem, or you somehow change your mind about it. The used gear market has none of that.

You get a bump up in features with the [new] 424mkIII, definitely, but IMO the [used] 424mkII is still a nice unit to have, & despite the mk3, the mk2 holds it's own very well, feature-for-feature, and more importantly, in sound quality.

I think the make-or-break point between the 424mk3 and mk2, is that if you envision a more complex setup of INPUTS that may require the 6-full mixer strips, then the mk3 is for you. If you don't see going beyond the need for 4-full mixer strips, the the 424mk2 will suffice.

Another make/break, is that if you want your Portastudio to have a separate power module, [424mk3], or if you prefer the fully-self contained Portastudio with a standard AC line cord, [424mk2].

Maybe seeming like a nit-picky detail, but IMO, the 424mk3's external power module, wire and connector may be an added source of potential failure, way down the road, in the future. [... just from normal use & handling].

Self-contained power supply is what I prefer, [424mk2], but that being said, it did not keep me from getting a 424mk3 of my own. I just think it's a less desirable design feature to have external power module.

Note: I also have the 424mk2, fwiw, and I like it very much, equally to the mk3.

In most other respects, except the stark design differences, IMO the 424mk2 and 424mk3 are roughly equivalent in the hifi audio they can record and reproduce. Features may be slightly different, but specs are identical.

The 424mk2 and 424mk3 are the same class & family of device, just a few years and one revision different, and therefore they share most of the same internal components.

Deth, the remote for the TSR-8 is the RC-408.

See it above, previously on this thread, page 3.

Your best RC-408 deal is one that's bundled with the sale of a TSR-8. Otherwise, the one above is auctioning by itself, at an added cost to the TSR-8.;)

The newer portastudios don't seem to have view meters, which the older ones have. Am I missing something? How do you judge the recording levels?

Thanks

.and while I'm at it... "input strips"... do you mean that the MKIII has 6 imput jacks and the MKII has 4... or is it a little more complex?
Thanks

The oldest ones have VU meters,...

and most of the newer ones have LED-level meters. A couple models have an LCD display level meters.

A full mixer strip is the input, trim, EQ, AUX and pan, that you've find arranged as a vertical strip of knobs, and every input may not always have a full mixer strip associated with it.

F/I, the Tascam 424mkII and mkIII both have 8 inputs, but the mk3 has 6 full mixer strips, while the mk2 has only 4. They both have 8 inputs, though. It follows then, that on the mk2 there are 4 extra inputs without full mixer strips, and on the mk3 there's two inputs without mixer strips.

Thanks Reel Person...

Um, the inputs which don't have full mixer strips - they must have SOME sort of control applied to them, right?

(By the way, thanks for all this, I'm getting a quick education, which is possible if you are impulsive/obsessive like I am. I'm all over the internet on this project, and expect to buy soon.)

Back