New Studio Pics

Yo Tonio! That mic is a little bit of a cult classic. It's a Shure SM82 line level broadcast condenser mic. You have to have a line level input with phantom power, but if you do, it is a really good guitar mic. Also a good live instrument mic. It has a built in limiter, which is kind of harsh, so I don't use it on percussion or loud cabs. -Richie

wow man that is incredible. Someday i hope to have something like that. So far my mic quiver is hmm let me count! A c1 and an sm57. Its getting there!

Thanks for the kind words. I'm at one of those resting places. The gear I have now exceeds the limits of the room, (a little), and my knowledge level,(a lot). It's time to record things, and stop buying things until all of this is paid for.-Richie

I like your independently mobile, self-cleaning diffuser unit. I've got three of those myself. They are very useful for warming up mixing desks and computer keyboards.

Yo Solar! Mostly on toms, I use the AKG C2000B's or the Oktava MK319. The C414 is the best choice, but I like it under the snare, and I only own one. There are lots of mics in the cabinet where I own one, and wish it was two. That SM7B rocks on toms, but it's my best snare mic. It's big, though. If I don't trust the drummer, I'll use SM57 or AKG D770 on snare, and leave the SM-7 out of the loop. See, you think of those SD's as "overheads". To me, they're acoustic guitar mics. The KM184's are the best I got, for good or ill. The C-4's are my only SD omnis, and are a little more neutral than the Neumanns. The MC012's I keep around for "overheads", not guitars, and they rock on strings and sax/clarinet (with a pop filter). For main vox, mostly B.L.U.E. KIwi, Rode NTK, Shure SM7-B, Shure SM82. Backing vox- the same, plus MK-319 and C2000B but usually not the Kiwi, which cuts through a mix agressively. For loud hand percussion, djembe, etc. the C414 and the SM-7 or D112 rock.
For cabs, I choose SM-57, SM-7, or AKG D770 or D320B as a rule. Bass goes DI through the Avalon or occasionally through Behringer Bass VAMP Pro into the Carver power amp, the Ampeg 1X10 bass extension cab, and gets mic'd with D112 > Avalon.
See, here's my point guys. I've reached one of those points where I've bought some cool gear, and I know I can't buy more any time soon. So- it's time to buckle down and learn Pro Tools and record a bunch of stuff. Immediate plans include a translation of an Egyptian Hellenic text from 300 B.C., with lyre interludes, and a solo classical guitar album by jazz master Christopher Woitach from Portland, OR. So why do I post up pics of gear? Because people provide input. Some of it is legitimate criticism (the weak point is my A-D conversion). Some people are purists, and they don't like my Epiphones, but they haven't played that Epi Les Paul. Sometimes they ask me, "why do you have that piece of gear? What is that?, or as Solarscar did, "out of that gear, what do you use for________?" Gosh, maybe it'll help them out.
Or maybe, they'll give me a better idea about how to use the gear I have. Here's one for ya Solar- Jack the line out of the POD into that subwoofer, and one of the mains. Then you mic the two speakers. The C-4's, KM184's, C414 and Kiwi work pretty well. I like the Kiwi in omni on the sub, or D112, and one KM184 on the main. You could mic the woofer and the tweeter on the main separately, but I find a lot of mics just adds phase issues. KISS.
Advantages? You can leave the cab model enabled (studio mode), and the nice flat monitors will reproduce that model with damn little noise, depending on the amp model used. The monitors move air, like a cab, and the mics produce the familiar sound of a mic'd up amp- at a fraction of the volume. It will sound like hell in the room, as the mics are in the near field, not your head. EQ later, if any. The guitarist has to track with headphones, to hear a semblence of what's being recorded.-Richie

Back