new song- "Jezebel"

GONZO-X

first pass on this one,
i'll continue working on the mix and some arrangement thingys,
til i get to the time to combine this one with the others i have finished,
for album #6.

This mix is in the pocket. It's just little tweaks here and there, maybe. Eg The bass part just after 'there's no more time left to waste' could come up a couple dB just to bring it out a bit.

Nice tune.

This mix is in the pocket. It's just little tweaks here and there, maybe. Eg The bass part just after 'there's no more time left to waste' could come up a couple dB just to bring it out a bit.

Nice tune.
hey thanks dobro!
yea, i know that section, the rhythms kind of drop out, and the bass is by itself.
i can boost it, as long as it's not too obvious.
i'll check that out on the final album mix! thanks again

first pass on this one,
i'll continue working on the mix and some arrangement thingys,
til i get to the time to combine this one with the others i have finished,
for album #6.
Good Song - very 70s sounding - drums are a little busy for me - and the bass doesn't quite sit in mix (for me again) - slight distortion on the vocals and parts of the mix.

sounds good. Very 70s sounding almost like rush in some parts. Mix could use a bit more energy for me. Guitars are a bit to wet.

Good Song - very 70s sounding - drums are a little busy for me - and the bass doesn't quite sit in mix (for me again) - slight distortion on the vocals and parts of the mix.
hey papa nate!
thanks for the critique...
drums busy, check, i just finished editing the drums in many places, took out superfluous fills...
bass, added a tape plug to one of the tracks that sum to MONO, and that seemed to fill out the bass with some subtle distortion and mild compression. interesting effect, i'm gonna play with that more...

vocals have distortion on them by design,
but with some select EQ'ing and some level changes, got rid of the few spots where i could find actual distortion.

Sounds very polished to me. I couldn't fault it.
Liked the thuddy bass drum.
hey slouch! thanks for listening

that drum kit, the kick, is a tama, i forget the setup for it,
but i do like the eq on it! trying for some gut punch, but without mud or slop.
it's tricky, you never know, about the drum eq's, til you get the whole mix going.

Really dig this track ! Great groove, Guitars sound great Love the Vocal mix
in the Chorus and the mix is solid overall to me. Nice work on this man and
the Lead Rocks!

sounds good. Very 70s sounding almost like rush in some parts. Mix could use a bit more energy for me. Guitars are a bit to wet.
hi packrobottom!
yea, this arrangement is def a nod to 70's arrangements, but with a more modern sound.
i have brought up the hi hat track, which is more driving than the rest of the kit sound and adds energy..
also, brought up the bass track and saturated it a bit to make it more driving as well.
the guitars, which are mostly the left/right rhythm guitars, are bone dry.
just a bit, of room sound added to the guitars for presence and placement.
the only effects on guitars are the solos, and yea, they are wet.

Really dig this track ! Great groove, Guitars sound great Love the Vocal mix
in the Chorus and the mix is solid overall to me. Nice work on this man and
the Lead Rocks!
howdy logiclover! thanks for listening

glad you dig it.
more of this style song coming shortly....

As always, the instrumentation and vocals are top freaking notch. In this case, the drums are seriously lacking punch/life/whatever which is usually NOT the case with your stuff..

The drums are all about the snare. What's wrong with that? Whatsamatter? You want a kick? Well, so do I. But we don't get one, do we? So get over it. See, the reason he does that is so that we can hear the bass (which we can do just fine if he doesn't involve a serious kick.) It's like a mix masterclass.

As always, the instrumentation and vocals are top freaking notch. In this case, the drums are seriously lacking punch/life/whatever which is usually NOT the case with your stuff..
hey thanks for checking it, chuck...
i'll focus on the drum processing, see where i can pull more out without stepping on the bass part, which is more important to me in this arrangement...
i hear plenty of punch on my playback, but as always, streaming seems to take a lot of PUNCH right out of every mix i post.
ideally, you download the 24 bit 48k file, and hear it at full bandwidth.

i've got to remix this for an arrangement edit anyway, so thanks for the input.

The drums are all about the snare. What's wrong with that? Whatsamatter? You want a kick? Well, so do I. But we don't get one, do we? So get over it. See, the reason he does that is so that we can hear the bass (which we can do just fine if he doesn't involve a serious kick.) It's like a mix masterclass.
heheh.
yea.
snare. it DOES drive the song.
and as much as i love punchy drums, they always have to be mixed to serve THE SONG,
not the idea of the most powerful drum tracks you can mix.
i can bury everything with drums,
but when you listen to a lot of classic rock mixes, it's a good balance. im ok with NOT having the most modern sounding mixes.
alot of those, i just don't like.

Can't comment on the mix because of these computer speakers but it sounds good to me.
Keep it up.

Always love some new Bats Brew music. Still using the Strymon? Great tones regardless.
Agree with the drum bit. There are spots where the snare comes out a bit, but most of the time they're just "there." if you know what I mean.
Your bass tones always kick serious butt. Love this one.

Back