"Running Free", new tune i'm working on now

The present mix sounds Great to me . I'm sure you will make further changes until you are completely satisfied. I thought you vocal harmony's were Fantastic ! I Really liked the energy , and in a few spots the "Yes" feel you got. Enjoyed it .. mark

Arrangement is great, like the "Jane's Addiction" character of your voice :)

Something seems very "saturated" in the mix to me... I'm guessing around 800/1k.

Nice hook! Rocks 8-)

The present mix sounds Great to me . I'm sure you will make further changes until you are completely satisfied. I thought you vocal harmony's were Fantastic ! I Really liked the energy , and in a few spots the "Yes" feel you got. Enjoyed it .. mark
hey mark! (again)
glad you dig the mix, yea, i'm working thru the mix at the same time i'm considering these certain arrangement decisions.
i've often hear the jon anderson comparison, thru the years, from different people, but it's so funny i can't hear it.
have never heard it.
and i'm a big fan of YES music from the Yes album thru "Drama" (not much beyond that, and didn't care for the 80's hits either.)

Arrangement is great, like the "Jane's Addiction" character of your voice :)

Something seems very "saturated" in the mix to me... I'm guessing around 800/1k.

Nice hook! Rocks 8-)
hey japov!
thanks for listening..
love perry farrall, he's quite quirky and memorable.
yes, saturated, it's the bb magma tubes saturation plug i have on the vox,
i backed that way off on the new mix that's posted now.
should be much less saturated.

also re-eq'd the rhythm guitars to take some of the high mid out as well.
that opened things up a bit more.

Great track. This one sounds different to other Bats Brew tracks I've heard. Mix seems more congested, less clarity that previously. Mind you that could totally be my ears :)

Great track. This one sounds different to other Bats Brew tracks I've heard. Mix seems more congested, less clarity that previously. Mind you that could totally be my ears :)
Hey bulls, yea, there's more going on here, with acoustics and electric rhythms. But I've tried to find a good balance, I don't hear it as congested, just thick. Latest mix is eqd a bit different now, maybe that fixed it?

Those VOX harmonies are really standing out (y)
thanks again japov...
yea, bringing them up in certain places, and muting them in others,
when i record, i'm never quite sure what i need in the mix, so i just sing thru the entire song,
at least 3 part harmonies, usually, because it's easy for me to do them, i've sung for so long,
in ensembles, church choirs, and of course, years on the road, so i just lay em down, and figure out how much of it i actually need later.
i tend to do too much, and it takes a while for my 'producer' hat to kick in. which is ok,
it's just my work mode.

Dig the whole spirit of the tunes! Super vibey, right up to my taste. I can hear the YES influences, not the Anderson tone, but the phrasing in places. But also Styx, deep-cut Ambrosia ('Rich Boy Poor,' 'Nice Nice' etc), A little Zeno Roth, Peter Gabriel, early 80s prog. Very Enjoyable!

As for the 'mix,' performances aside, it feels small and 'demo production' congested. But the energy and performance are there, and that is the most relevant! I understand it is a mix in progress!
Look forward to more.

[edit] Sorry, Robert, I didn't see the 'feedback on the mix' request. In my experience, 'smallness' or 'demo production' is a result of congestion. Too much shard space. Since I don't know what this was recorded on or if there were old-school restrictions, bounces required, etc., I don't know the limits of your gear. Or your monitoring. So forgive that! You have 4-6 guitar tracks at once (which include 'rock' acoustic), doubled and layered vocals (and a talking octave vocal at times), a lot of constant lead lines, and bass (played with a pick it sounds like) and drums. In my listening environment, so much of the energy is shared and focused in the mids and down the middle. The drums get lost for me, but the irony is that is one of the elements that remind me of an era.

Obviously, track count and stacking are no problem, but I think working on the track/instrumentation separation and moving the drums forward will go a long way.
The approach to do that, is individual. Personally, I start with drums and then make space for vocals and harmony instruments with frequency separation, not pan-width only. For your style of tunes and tones, albums like Paradise Theatre, The Grand Illusion or even The Point Of Know Return are great references and models. Albums with great separation clarity but mid-forward tones and production restrictions. Again, great tune!

Last edited:
Back