New R20 16 track recorder coming soon

Cratinus

16 track R20 with color touch screen. Looks cool...but...all 8 inputs should be combo...and very limited I/O. Only on
the Zoom Japan website currently. Gonna try to post a "Google Translated" link (if the Zoom website asks you to change language...click the "X"):
Zoom R20
Cheers.

Not sure. Nothing official on the Zoom NA website yet. Seems kinda odd. They have a whole line of "live mixer/recorders" and the usual line-up of "R series" multitracks. This does not seem to add a whole lot (other than the touch screen). I would have liked to have seen aux sends (for external effects), midi capability (via standard 5 pin), multiple outputs and a footswitch jack (for punching in) and a dedicated "fader per track" interface. Just me spitballing, I reckon. Cheers.

Info up on the Zoom NA website now (with several videos):
Zoom R20
Also listed as coming soon for $399.99 at Sweetwater (cheaper than I thought it'd be):
Zoom R20 Sweetwater
The R16 is now discontinued. Makes me wonder if the R8 and (more importantly) the R24 will be updated to this new "touchscreen based"
type of multitrack. We shall see. Cheers.

Last edited:
It looks like the biggest changes with the R20 is the touch screen editing vs the use of buttons and menus in the R24/16. It appears to me more DAW like, since you can move tracks just by sliding things around. It also has an add-on that lets you use a phone as a control via Bluetooth. I would guess that soundwise, the units would be similar. The R20 does 16 channels for recording. The R20 looks to be limited to 44.1K which seems a bit odd. Probably a cost saving measure as the prices is pretty low.

The touch screen really isn't a draw for me. Most of my use of the R24 has been doing the recording then dumping everything into Reaper for editing and adjustments.

I have the L-12 and Mostly it is used at home, so the touch screen seems unnecessary right now. In the field I just capture to SD and transfer to DAW.

Back