New or used?

Mr. C

I was just wondering since I've been looking for pedals lately if people on here prefer new or used for any equipment that you buy. I sometimes buy new, but usually look for used as I can get a better deal for the most part. I've bought used on ebay, Craigslist, and GC. I lean more towards GC because if it's a fail I can return it easier than ebay, and Craigslist, forget it. I bought my Strat new, Xaviere Tele "new" (blem model), Squire bass used from GC, and my Washburn acoustic used off ebay. So what's everyone's opinions on new or used?

In the past I bought alot of stuff used ~ a double bass, mandolin, Fender Rhodes, piano, Hammond organ, portastudio, various pedals etc. My three DAWs {two Akai DPS 12is and a Zoom MRS8} I bought used. I have no problem with buying used. If they hadn't closed down so many of the used instrument exchanges and shops in London, I would have bought alot more {and sold alot more !} over the last 8 years. Two of my guitar pedals {by Digitech, a Hendrix and a Clapton one} I bought on Ebay in 2010 and they're great. I've bought quite a few of my instruments new online or with Ebay. As with anything, it's pot luck and take a chance. But I'd generally recommend.

Ebay, no way.
Craigslist, quite often.
Guitar Center used online? Hell yes.
New? Sometimes.

Guitar Center's used online program can't be beat.

Had good experiences buying new and used on Ebay. Also used Escrow.com to buy a used high-end mic from a seller in CA.

Had good experiences buying used on CL too.

Sweetwater has excellent customer service. Prices seem to be competitive.

If you are into analog synths NovaMusik has good service too and very good pricing.

I've bought more software from them than anything else.

When I did the crossgrade from EZDrummer to Superior the sample discs I got were kaput.

Sweetwater overnighted a box with every last shred of Toontrack software available at the time.

Buying used from GC can be a good deal. Actually I liked buying used from Daddy's Junky Music when they were in business. If you saw something you liked in another store they would ship it to the store near you free. With GC you have to pay shipping whether it's to your house or the store (so why ship to the store?). But maybe that's why Daddy's went out of business!

Buying used from GC can be a good deal. Actually I liked buying used from Daddy's Junky Music when they were in business. If you saw something you liked in another store they would ship it to the store near you free. With GC you have to pay shipping whether it's to your house or the store (so why ship to the store?). But maybe that's why Daddy's went out of business!

I think they give you some kind of wholesale deal on shipping though. I've bought two 100w tube heads through GC used, both from California to Texas, and the shipping was like 10 bucks for each head. What does it normally cost to ship a 40-50 pound tube head across the US? 50 bucks or so?

Buying used can always be a crap shoot - make sure you can return it!
Guitars especially. I got a good deal on an Epi Dot Studio on Ebay ($130), only needed a set up, had a few small dings in the body, other than that it's great and equal to the ones I see used at GC for $200.
See my Taylor thread for an ebay sale nightmare, luckily ebay 'buyer protection' can work!
Bought a used Fender CD140SCE electro/acoustic last year at GC, and paid the $20 for extended warranty. (Side note: I had tried out dozens of e/a's for months in the $300-$400 price range, so knew what I wanted.) When the pickup sounded bad, brought it in to the GC tech (Nashua guy is pretty good), he popped a new battery in, could not find anything wrong with it. In the meantime I had already called the ext warranty place, and because it was under $200, they just refunded the whole deal, including the warranty cost! So now I've got a good guitar AND a GC gift card to use up!
Bought a used Kawai synth and a behringer GFX 2x12 amp used from GC last year, also put the ext warranties on them, sold the amp for my cost, and the synth just sold on ebay for more than my cost (although the person has not paid or responded to my message about pickup yet).

I mostly buy used, but I'm in a buyer's market (college town). I did buy a new Epiphone LP Special P90 last month--$104.00 shipped, a little set up work, and it's fine. Wait a couple weeks, check Amazon--gig bag, $8.00. There you go.

I buy mostly used stuff and occasionally new stuff. Most of my purchases have been ebay or from music/gear forums through Paypal. I guess I've had good luck so far because I've heard horror stories about both. GC used stuff is good, too (my LP STd. was purchased used there)

Back