New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hello everyone at this forum. My name is Peter. I am from The Netherlands. I play bass in the 70ties band 'Blackfire' and in what's left of the band 'Timber'. I went solo in February 2020. I call myself 'Ten 4 Roger'. A name I came up with 25 years ago. I'm into rock music and after one and a half year in my home studio I created a full album with 13 songs. The album is called 'Ticket For Tomorrow'. Why am I here.... Maybe to share some thoughts and hope to learn some tips & tricks. Maybe how to get a better sound for my productions.

Hey, I'm Dominica from London. I've been aware of HomeRecording.com for a while now but i've only just now joined the community. Great to be here! in terms of recording, i'm a bit of a mess and don't really know what i'm doing! I started out back when it seemed really simple with a Yamaha MT3X 4 track cassette recorder, Yamaha SY77 synth Realistic PZM and Shure SM58 mics doing simple demos of songs written on a Piano.. I've been using Ableton for the last 10 years and i'm feeling like i want to get back to a DAW-less way of working again.. I'm really looking forward to learning about the simple and perhaps the not so simple recording techniques from this community. Thanks Folks.

What's up everybody. I'm a student at The Los Angeles Film/Recording School (Online) and I joined as part of an assignment but from looking around these last few minutes I feel pretty confident that this community will be very beneficial to my education.

Hey, I'm Dominica from London. I've been aware of HomeRecording.com for a while now but i've only just now joined the community. Great to be here! in terms of recording, i'm a bit of a mess and don't really know what i'm doing! I started out back when it seemed really simple with a Yamaha MT3X 4 track cassette recorder, Yamaha SY77 synth Realistic PZM and Shure SM58 mics doing simple demos of songs written on a Piano.. I've been using Ableton for the last 10 years and i'm feeling like i want to get back to a DAW-less way of working again.. I'm really looking forward to learning about the simple and perhaps the not so simple recording techniques from this community. Thanks Folks.

Hi Dominica,
You can certainly go DAW free. Both Tascam and Zoom are still making recorders that essentially are like the old cassette recorders, but using SD memory cards in place of tape cassettes. Everything in still in the digital domain. You can get something like the Model 12, or the Livetrak 12, which gives you direct recording and mixing. They have basic effects, EQ, reverb, compression.

If you want more effects, they also make more full featured recorders like the Zoom R24 or the Tascam DP24 and DP32.

The nice thing about them is that you can record with them, and then move tracks to a DAW for mixdown if you need to at a later time. I save the SD cards just like audio tapes, since you can get them for about the same prices as we spent on a cassette.

Hi Dominica,
You can certainly go DAW free. Both Tascam and Zoom are still making recorders that essentially are like the old cassette recorders, but using SD memory cards in place of tape cassettes. Everything in still in the digital domain. You can get something like the Model 12, or the Livetrak 12, which gives you direct recording and mixing. They have basic effects, EQ, reverb, compression.

If you want more effects, they also make more full featured recorders like the Zoom R24 or the Tascam DP24 and DP32.

The nice thing about them is that you can record with them, and then move tracks to a DAW for mixdown if you need to at a later time. I save the SD cards just like audio tapes, since you can get them for about the same prices as we spent on a cassette.
Hey Rich, Yes, i do miss that way of working where i'm not staring at a computer screen all the time and have literally thousands of different options for what i might want to to. I don't want to totally get rid of a computer of course because having a DAW as you say will have it's benefits. But during the actual recording process when i'm using a computer i am just very distracted in lots of different ways. So that element of the process has to change for me. I've done a bit of reserch and i have seen the Zoom Livetrak 12, and i was also looking at the smaller Zoom R20 only yesterday, but i will be getting a Tascam Model 12 in the next week or so, and so my recording set up will be changing to something a bit less distracting! Also, i really like the idea of having less tracks to work with, it means that i have to make economic musical decisions which is something i'm sure those of us who started out on 4 track cassette recorders know a thing or two about! Thanks.

I'm just an old geezer with a couple of Alesis HD24's that I am currently trying to configure into a 48 track system. Any editing will be done on my desktop with Reaper. Just doing this for my own personal use and fun, to record friends and such.

I'm just an old geezer with a couple of Alesis HD24's that I am currently trying to configure into a 48 track system. Any editing will be done on my desktop with Reaper. Just doing this for my own personal use and fun, to record friends and such.
Hey...welcome kayakzkh !! You're not alone. Lots of old geezers here....including me. Lots of Reaper users too...so whatever questions come up......just ask.

Mick

Hello. I stumbled upon this forum whilst trying to find out and win an argument on how to pronounce alesis. Thankfully Google pointed me to this forum and now I am £5 pounds better off.

Anyway.
I'm a keyboardist, I currently own a couple of korg Triton 76 one extreme.
I also have a couple 9f hardrives full of sound libraries from spitfire audio, Native, 8dio and various others.

I have a fair few Vst's Spire, Massive, Absynth, serum.

My musical taste are as wide as they can be and as long as the music makes my cheekbones hurt then I like it.

I currently write my own stuff which varies from classical scores that would suit film and TV to trance music and various EDM.

I am currently useless at recording and whilst my music sounds ok wikst still in the DAW as soon as I try and master a track the music suddenly takes on the resemblance of a band playing at the bottom of a swimming pool.

I hope to take good advice from this forum but I am also open to give advice on anything I can.

See you around the boards.

Thanks

Hi All,

I'm Dave and like to make piano covers. Sometimes with and sometimes without adding vocals. This year, I started with a YouTube channel (YouTube channel) to share my covers.

Hope to have a good time here together!

Greetings and Happy New Year! My name is Johnny. I’m a live production (large format) FOH engineer (hey! Don’t be haters! LOL!). Was heavy involved with the studio scene back in the 70’s and 80’s. As my later years are upon me (well that and massive slowdown due to a freaking pandemic) I find myself gravitating back towards the studio side (did I mention I’m a 50 year veteran as a professional musician?). I’m hoping to use this forum to gather. Information on what I been missing!

Welcome Johnny. Your among brethren here. You'll find a bunch were in various aspects of the music business in the 60s, 70s and/or 80s.

Hello, I'm Raymond, and I just registered.
I used to be on Studiotrax, so I thought I'd keep that same username.
If anybody wants dirt on me, my website is romeobravo.net

I'm a user from years back who can't remember my old login credentials, God knows I tried. I took a 4 year forced hiatus during a breakup and move to a different state. It's amazing how the front room of your apartment packed wall to wall with gear can motivate you to buy a house. in 2019 I bought a "constructed in 1948" semi fixer-upper that has a huge front room with old industrial acoustic 12 x 12 ceiling tiles from your typical 60s elementary school, it makes for a great sounding live room. I have one step at a time removed the lath plaster walls throughout the home and replaced it with drywall. I have a lot left to do to finish the studio but I'm building one weekend at a time. It's nice to have a place to be able to play drums and guitar anytime I want again but my God my chops are crappy.

Back