New Member Popping in!

thisisbrianly

I've been lurking here long enough and I figured I'd post my first post....

First off, I want to say that this forum is awesome--I've never recorded before but just spending a few days here makes me that much more excited.

Taking the advice of a few friends and the wonderful search function here, I purchased an M-audio Mobilepre USB with an MXL990 condenser mic that should be arriving tommorow. I know its not the greatest setup, but I think it'll do for recording just 1-2 tracks at a time.

Right now, I'm trying to prepare my computer for the big day!
i'm running a Compaq Presario with 2.1 Ghz Athlon and 512 mb RAM.
I've defragged my 120GB hard drive (has about 26 GB free) and ran some disk checks.

Basically, I just wanna make sure that when I install the drivers to the Mobilepre and start recording, I wont have any hardware problems (since that just takes the fun out of it). I'll probably record a max of 2 tracks simultaneously and will start by recording into Audacity as it seems like a good starter program.

Sorry about this riduclously long post--this forum is awesome and cant wait to learn more!

thisisbrianly said:
I've been lurking here long enough and I figured I'd post my first post....

First off, I want to say that this forum is awesome--I've never recorded before but just spending a few days here makes me that much more excited.

Taking the advice of a few friends and the wonderful search function here, I purchased an M-audio Mobilepre USB with an MXL990 condenser mic that should be arriving tommorow. I know its not the greatest setup, but I think it'll do for recording just 1-2 tracks at a time.

Right now, I'm trying to prepare my computer for the big day!
i'm running a Compaq Presario with 2.1 Ghz Athlon and 512 mb RAM.
I've defragged my 120GB hard drive (has about 26 GB free) and ran some disk checks.

Basically, I just wanna make sure that when I install the drivers to the Mobilepre and start recording, I wont have any hardware problems (since that just takes the fun out of it). I'll probably record a max of 2 tracks simultaneously and will start by recording into Audacity as it seems like a good starter program.

Sorry about this riduclously long post--this forum is awesome and cant wait to learn more!
as far as i know you should have everthing workin out fine. if you use windows- make sure youve updated it, to xp service pack two. i needed to for my fast track pro.

try reaper, its great for jumping into recording on two seperate tracks at ounce, unlike audacity. but keep in mind that audacity does work well for waveform editing

You should be ok with those specs. With RAM prices fairly decent these days, you can add another 512 stick for pretty cheap and it would be a pretty safe investment. Just remember to keep it simple, keep it fun. I'm guilty of over-complicating things sometimes myself, it happens, just know when to take a step back, take a deep breath, and don't be afraid to expirement. Once you get into it and start reading you'll see that alot of the information is based on preference and opinion, and as we all know, both differ from person to person.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...407862&Submit=ENE&Subcategory=147&Order=price

Welcome ,

Sounds like you should have smooth sailing .

The only thing I would suggest is that down the road as you start composing arrangements with larger track counts , whether tracked all at once or built 2 at a time , you'll have less troubles if your hard drive is more on the 70 % free space than the other way . Your drive is faster on the outer side of the disk.

Have fun with it man and you'll learn alot along the way !!! :cool:

Thanks for the welcomes guys. I've just set up the Mobilepre and condenser and recorded some stuff for fun....sounds pretty nice for what it is.

Thanks for the hard-drive suggestion Dave--I think i'm gonig to install another hard disk soon for media purposes.

Tiger has it's uses, I find far better deals on Newegg though. CompGeeks has some nifty stuff too as well as frozencpu.com for noise dampening stuff.

Back