New MBOX3 Mini -Low input

gregoman

Hello, I just purchased a MBOX3 Mini (was borrowing an MBOX2 Mini.) I mic my amp with a sm57 next to the grill cloth, and run to xlr input in back of the MBox. I have to have my amp up pretty looud and the gain input turned 3/4 or more , jsut below peaking to get proper input(yes, the -20 pad is off) . This does not seem right should not have to tuyrn up so loud to get good input, driving my wife crazy... Anyone else have the same issue with the MBox3 mini? Seemed ythe MBox 2 was more sensitive , better input level.

You'd usually want an amp to be fairly loud for a good recording - I usually find recorded a quiet amp sounds weak.

Aiming for just below peaking is a bit high. Aim for around -12 or so. That should let you turn the mbox gain down a bit.

Just to be clear, your cable is XLR both ends, right?

mbox3 mini low input

Hello, I just purchased a MBOX3 Mini (was borrowing an MBOX2 Mini.) I mic my amp with a sm57 next to the grill cloth, and run to xlr input in back of the MBox. I have to have my amp up pretty looud and the gain input turned 3/4 or more , jsut below peaking to get proper input(yes, the -20 pad is off) . This does not seem right should not have to tuyrn up so loud to get good input, driving my wife crazy... Anyone else have the same issue with the MBox3 mini? Seemed ythe MBox 2 was more sensitive , better input level.

HI , and thanks for the quick response. Yes xlr at both ends. I guess it is normal then , to have to turn amp up , even using sm57 and high gain on mbox... The MBox 2 was more sensitive to input levels...

I guess it is normal then , to have to turn amp up , even using sm57 and high gain on mbox... The MBox 2 was more sensitive to input levels...

I'd guess so.
If you were maxing the preamp with a reasonable amp volume and not peaking I'd think there's something wrong, but the fact that you can makes me think there's just a gain difference between the two interface preamps.

Seems like a common issue.

the two interface preAmps. Not sure what you mean by that. only pre-amp i'm using is the mbox. Miking amp at grill cloth

Also, Sems it is common sense that you should not have to crank up amp and gain to get proper input after spending 200.00 for a pre-amp. LOL

For what it's worth, I had an mbox 2 and did not like it. Gain had to be cranked to get a usable sound from a dynamic.
It was also pretty hissy.

I just refused to use it with sm7b/58/57 and ended up getting a presonus interface.

Back