New Mandolin Day

dervish riff

Got my tax refund last week, thought I'd try something better than the Rogue RM-100a I'd had for a couple years. Ordered a Rover RM-25s, $103.00 at Amazon. Turns out to be pretty nice, mahogany back and sides, so it's more a folk mandolin than a Bluegrass job. Of course the mandolin snobs turn up their noses at it, but that's their problem. It stays in tune and makes the Rogue sound like it was made out of cardboard.

I usually have the taxes pretty well worked out, but was offered a buyout on my pension from a company I worked for out of HS. As things worked out, I only ended up paying $85.00 in taxes on it, so not too bad.

I've actually got a mandolin that's over 100 years old. My gran got it off her mum and she remembers playing it as a kid. She died at the age of 97 a few months ago so it's definitely old!!!

Got my tax refund last week, thought I'd try something better than the Rogue RM-100a I'd had for a couple years. Ordered a Rover RM-25s, $103.00 at Amazon. Turns out to be pretty nice, mahogany back and sides, so it's more a folk mandolin than a Bluegrass job. Of course the mandolin snobs turn up their noses at it, but that's their problem. It stays in tune and makes the Rogue sound like it was made out of cardboard.

Should have spent another $35 and got the Rover 50B - solid maple back and sides instead of laminate.
I've got a Washburn mando that cost about the same. Fairly useless for any chord work, just no volume or tone from it. And I've seen/heard someone wiht a $300 mando, it's not all that much better for tone. Got to get up well over $500 for decent mando tone, I think.

I actually would rather the mahogany, even if it is laminated. Not going to be playing bluegrass on it, anyway, even if I am in WV, lol.

Back