New kit - Yamaha MT4X with demo song

famous beagle

Just got a Yamaha MT4x cassette 4-track. :) I'd always had my eyes on this model and found a good deal that included a very nice SKB case, 5 TKD blank cassettes, and the manual.

Put it through its paces tonight and recorded this little ditty, which is a song in the works.

Acoustic, vocal, and mandolin recorded with a Shure SM7B plugged straight in (via XLR-to-1/4-inch transformer adapter). Electric guitar recorded direct with a Line 6 HX Stomp.
Plate reverb (all tracks in varying levels) and slapback delay (on vocal) via Behringer DR600 and VD400 pedals, respectively.

Everything was one take except for the mandolin (because I can't play mando very well!). Just wanted to make sure everything was functioning on this thing, and it is!

Great unit this one. Very solid transport, 3-band EQ, auto-punch, 2 memory points, DBX, selectable tape speed (1x or 2x), record all 4 tracks at once, 2 aux sends plus separate cue buss. Nice!

Attachments

• Something in the Woods - Yamaha MT4X test.mp3
    5.4 MB
Man, this sounds fantastic. Really nice work and those onboard pres are pretty damn good, eh?
Thanks. Yeah, not bad! I didn't really spend too much time with mic position, etc. (acoustic is a bit boomy), so I'm excited to see what I can do when I really try.

Agree with ^^. Also, av ery interesting song.

I did notice a click at 31-32 secs.

Also, where does the song come from? Is it yours?
Thanks. Yes this is my song. It's not 100% finished yet --- it won't fade out there --- but I used what I had just to test the machine.

That noise at 0:31 was from a dirty pot on my reverb pedal. It's fixed now, but not before it made its mark on the mix. :)

Back