New Imacs For Recording?

bileshake

I've been recently considering a 20" Imac to replace my old G4. I'm looking to run either Project mix or Digi 002 interface with an aditional adat 8ch pre. My main focus is full band recorded audio (not midi) is there anyone that's running a setup like this and has pushed this Mac too far?

pushed this Mac too far?

I seriously doubt it. They now come with core 2 duo processers which pretty much beat everything on the market short of the mac pro's woodcrest's. The 20" model is a steal at $2k.

Core 2 duo is ridiculous fast, look up some benchmarks

iMac plus Digi 002r?

I am also considering the iMac for recording. This will be my first dive into purchasing my own computer recording setup (I have worked on PT rigs at commercial studios and tape machines at home) so I'm nervous about hitting that "send payment" button. I'm thinking about getting the 17" iMac Core 2 Duo with a 2 gHz processor, 1 GM memory, 160 g hard drive, etc paired with a Digi 002r interface with one of my ADATs providing another 8 analog i/o via optical connection.

Any yays or nays before I hit that dreaded "send payment" button?

I have one of the first g5 imacs, very underpowered by the same standards of the newer one. However, I run a 002r and never have any problems recording full bands. I constantly am up to 25-32 tracks with no problems and very very few dropouts. I can load about 6 instances of reverb and all the eq's and comps I want with no problems. Great for recording IMO.

Just make sure whatever you are going to use software wise is compatible with the new intel macs. Don't assume anything, even stuff compatile with osx may not be compatible with intel macs.

I speak from experience. I haven't had anything but trouble from my macbook pro setup so far. granted i could've been spared alot of it if I had checked on the compatibility of my software :rolleyes:

Make sure you check with the manufacturers of whatever plugins/soft synths you want to use and make sure they are intel mac compatible. Otherwise you might end up like me and have to wait for the damn updates before you can use them...(can you tell I'm a little bitter?) :)

Thanks for all the warnings! I plan on running Pro Tools LE. According to the Digidesign website, there's an downloadable update for PT LE 7.1.1 that makes PT LE 7 work with interl-based macs. I plan on purchasing the computer tomorrow and getting the 002r by the end of the week. So unless anyone out there is using this setup, we'll have to wait and see if it actually works. System requirements seem to match up just fine, but these iMac Core 2 Duos are apparently too new to have any stamps of approval from Digidesign.

I am crossing my fingers as I dive head first into computer recording.

Back