New guitar for Greg - Kapow! (lots of pics and review)

Nice guitar, I am green and gold with envy, that is a color combination I have always liked. I have to say, that is one groovy guitar.

That is one fabulous funky looking guitar!

I love the color and sparkle finish. One of the first guitars I ever lusted after was a 12 string electric ventures sig model mosrite....in lake placid blue metallic. It was displayed in the window of the local music store when I was a kid back in the 1960's.
Everytime we went to town I would walk up to that window and gawk at that guitar. I wanted it so bad!
Congrats on scoring a very cool retro guitar.

Nice guitar, I am green and gold with envy, that is a color combination I have always liked. I have to say, that is one groovy guitar.

Thanks guys! :)

New prototype colors for 2013. I like the purple one! "Plum Krazy Purple" and "Loco Lemon Pearl"

PlumKrazyandLocoLemonPearl2013_zpse5dc3f04.jpg

the yellow looks good to me.
I think it's my Trade Union background but Purple = feminism to me and for some totally unrelated internal reason doesn't equate to rock'n guitar.

the yellow looks good to me.
I think it's my Trade Union background but Purple = feminism to me and for some totally unrelated internal reason doesn't equate to rock'n guitar.

Haha. Where I'm from, purple is one of the holy trinity of colors. Purple, Gold, and Green are Mardi Gras colors. Those are like the de facto official colors of New Orleans. It's not uncommon to see entire houses painted up in those colors or a combo of two of them.

Haha. Where I'm from, purple is one of the holy trinity of colors. Purple, Gold, and Green are Mardi Gras colors. Those are like the de facto official colors of New Orleans. It's not uncommon to see entire houses painted up in those colors or a combo of two of them.
and LSU!

Showed wifey that pic this morning and she's gonna take it .... replace the Hallmark Logo with LSU and post in on her facebook page ...... purple and gold guitars!! Go LSU!!!

and LSU!

Showed wifey that pic this morning and she's gonna take it .... replace the Hallmark Logo with LSU and post in on her facebook page ...... purple and gold guitars!! Go LSU!!!

Right!

LSU chose their colors because that's basically all there was at the time. In the late 1800's when LSU was just getting started, some bigwig at LSU got inside info somehow that a big textile shipment was coming in from Europe and landing in New Orleans. He sent some go-fer down there to get as much as he could. It was Mardi Gras time, and the kid came back with purple and gold. That's been LSU's colors ever since. LSU's rival, Tulane University in New Orleans, got there late and all they had left was green. To this day, that's still their color. Tulane Green Wave. LSU beating Tulane in the color war started a long lasting rivalry that spread to the football field where LSU has mostly dominated ever since. Geaux Tigers!

Right!

LSU chose their colors because that's basically all there was at the time. In the late 1800's when LSU was just getting started, some bigwig at LSU got inside info somehow that a big textile shipment was coming in from Europe and landing in New Orleans. He sent some go-fer down there to get as much as he could. It was Mardi Gras time, and the kid came back with purple and gold. That's been LSU's colors ever since. LSU's rival, Tulane University in New Orleans, got there late and all they had left was green. To this day, that's still their color. Tulane Green Wave. LSU beating Tulane in the color war started a long lasting rivalry that spread to the football field where LSU has mostly dominated ever since. Geaux Tigers!
really? Is that textile story true?

I never knew that!

really? Is that textile story true?

I never knew that!

Yup, that's the story. How much of it is completely true? I don't know. It's LSU folklore. Seems reasonable though. The two main universities of southern Louisiana ended up with the most prominent colors of the region. Maybe Tulane's version is the same, but opposite. They might claim they wanted the green and left LSU with the purple and gold. Unlikely though. LSU's majestic purple and gold looks way better than Tulane's boring ass green.

LSU has since become a national sports and acedemic powerhouse. Tulane is just Tulane. Great acedemic school, but overall small-time compared to LSU.

Update:

Got a new bridge pickup for the Hallmark. The original pickup, while sounding unbelievably awesome with the amp clean, was just too much with the gain dialed up. Too hot, too fat, a little muddy. While I love the fat twang of the original pickups clean sound, I simply don't use that type of tone very often. Those of you in here that know my music know that I go for a more overdriven sound most of the time. So I contacted Bob Shade at Hallmark and explained my concerns. No problem. He told me he could mod my existing pickup for $50 or make me a new one to my exact demands for $100. I decided to go with a new pickup so I could keep the original and go back to "stock" if I want to. So I explained that I wanted something "like a P-90". Cleaner mids, more bite, less fat. He understood. I paypal'd the $100 and 5 days later a new custom made pickup was in my mailbox! Sweet! Wired it in and hot damn it's just right. Tight lows, clean mids, and bite. Just what I wanted. I used it live in a full band jam session and man it sounds awesome. My 60 Custom just got truly custom.

If any of you are in the market for a unique guitar with exceptional build quality and a builder that provides unparalleled customer support and communication, all for price that's an exceedingly great value, check out Hallmark guitars.

I LOVE the look of that bass. Lt. Bob, you've played some amazing gear in your time. Was the original bass any good?

I posted a similar review of the new pickup at the Mosrite forum, and this was Mr Shade's response:

Yes Greg wanted to rock harder and while our stock pickups have more than enough of output and feature alnico mags, and most guys love the bold round way it makes the guitar sound, Greg wanted something specific.

We have several options as far as tone for our pickups that we can employ. In Greg's case we used a different wind used a pair of vintage ceramic magnets that without disturbing the output section cleaned it up a bit for more clarity and depth in the Marshall distortion mode. The typical Mosrite style pickup although great for certain clean and rock tones, are not as good for cranking Marshall fat pig tones.

If there is anyone who needs a pickup for a high gain amplifier and does not want to sacrifice the look and output, we have the pickup for you now dubbed the " Fat Pig".

So just ask for the Fat Pig pickup, I will know what you want.

Thanks again Greg!

Snarl on!

Bob

Awesome! I inspired a whole new line of Mosrite/Hallmark replacement pickups. :D

Okay, probably not, but it's still awesome. :thumbs up:

I LOVE the look of that bass. Lt. Bob, you've played some amazing gear in your time. Was the original bass any good?
man ...... it was too long ago to really know.
It was my first ever bass for one thing plus it was ...... ummmm .... 43 years ago!! :eek: holy crap I'm almost dead! :D

I used crap strings on it for sure. I gigged with it so it couldn't have been too bad but I can't truthfully give any kind of legitimate assessment of it compared to other basses.

Sure wish I had it back though.

Okay, probably not...

No, actually that sounds like exactly what happened. Very cool!

You have a great ability to analyze and describe sound, so that really helps with something like this.

My custom pickup is called the rush limbaugh, so I'm surprised they allowed yours to be called the fat pig, as that seems like copywrite infringement...

Back