New Category in User forums by brand

Based on the logic and reasons why we shouldn't have an iPad forum expressed within this thread , we really shouldn't have a "User forum by brands" at all. Everything there belongs in the "Digital Recording and Computers" or "Analog only" forums.

The fact is we we do have a "User forums BY BRANDS, and within it, it makes total sense to keep up with current technology and techniques used therein.

My suggestion was to put an iPad section in the User forums by brand. In that section it should be a thread of its own. Because I haven't embraced the Android world I didn't suggest it but based upon comments here and research therein after the fact I would definitely say it would behoove us to have an Android forum also. That's if they are put the in the User forums by Brand section. They are two separate BRANDS and platforms. Just like Akai and Fostex.

That all said.... though it would be cluttered and more difficult to find what you are looking for within it, another alternative could be to lump them together in the Equipment forums under a new section called Tablets.....with the message underneath saying Apple, Android, Windows and more. Or something to that effect.

Because of the broad scope of what these new tools can do beyond just recording my personal preference is to give them each their own section in User Forums by Brand. It just makes it a lot cleaner and easier for the people who are using them to discuss the advances, tricks, tips, issues and new gear that is relevant to them individually without having to hunt though a bunch of threads that have nothing to do with the product they are trying to discuss or learn about.

Appreciate the passion expressed here on both sides and the healthy debate therein.

I say create the IPAD section - put it wherever. Then see how popular it gets.
If it takes off great if it flops delete it.
I'm not adverse to the forum - I just don't care for it compared to my laptop.

Just to throw .02 more at the concept...

I think every new forum concept should be tried and monitored for results. I also think every existing forum should have a threshold of activity below which it gets deleted/consolidated.

K I S S baby.

Appreciate the passion expressed here on both sides and the healthy debate therein.

It has nothing to do with passion we just don't need more boards. If you cant find a board among 44 existing options to post a question about your Ipad that probably means you are not thinking enough about the problem.

Just for shits and giggles give us an example of the sort of question you may want to ask?

---------- Update ----------

Just not you.

JK. :)

Yeh I get that.. Some people here don't like it when people point out the elephant in the room...:)

In the HR forums and sub-forums we make no distinction between desktop and laptop computers. Nor do we distinguish between computer-based recordings and stand-alone digital recorders.

We do, however, distinguish between analog and digital.

We maybe distinguish between computers and stand-alones to the extent that they are associated with brands.

Is the distinction between ipads and computers as marked as that between digital and analog?

I can't see that it is.

The difference between tablets/phones and desktops/laptops isn't anywhere as big as the difference between analog and digital, but it's way bigger than the difference between desktops and laptops. iPad users talk about different apps, different interfaces, different challenges because of the reduced ins/outs thing. I also think the people who use them are different from people who use desktops and laptops. Younger and poorer, as a generalization. Sure, they can find a place for themselves in the existing forum structure here. But we could also make that argument for the software forums and say 'we need only ONE software forum, because basically all DAWS are so similar that it doesn't justify a separate forum for each one.'

It has nothing to do with passion we just don't need more boards. If you cant find a board among 44 existing options to post a question about your Ipad that probably means you are not thinking enough about the problem.

Sorry Mutt trying to be respectful to you but I detect some passion in that statement

Just for shits and giggles give us an example of the sort of question you may want to ask?

Dobro answered well enough above...

---------- Update ----------

I know you don't get it...and you don't want any more sections that don't meet your criteria....You're entitled to your opinion and you have shared it "passionately" but at this point, it looks like you are going to need to get over it...it looks like is going to happen and in mine and others here's opinions, that isn't a bad thing.

I know you don't get it...and you don't want any more sections that don't meet your criteria....You're entitled to your opinion and you have shared it "passionately" but at this point, it looks like you are going to need to get over it...it looks like is going to happen and in mine and others here's opinions, that isn't a bad thing.

:facepalm:

I think if we can make a "Music Video" forum (which I thought was a shit idea at the time) and give it a trial run (oh hey it actually worked :D), we could do an iPad forum just as a test run.

I don't see the problem at all. Put it up and see if people use it, if they don't, remove it. It's not really a discussion worthy of getting your pants pissy about. If it doesn't interest you, as it wouldn't me, don't go in there, like I won't.

It's really quite simple :thumbs up:

I hadn't looked at this thread until now, so here's my take.
Whether X is as good as Y or whatever, tablets and mobile devices are becoming more and more popular for recording, and will continue to do so.
If home recording wants to cater for, or pander to, a new generation of technology users then, certainly, a mobile devices forum is a good idea.
I wouldn't brand it - just 'Mobile Recording', or whatever.

I read about differentiation earlier...Why are desktops and laptops not separated etc..
There are arguments for both sides but I think desktops and laptops are too close to separate, in a music board.
In terms of day to day use, errors, setup, maintenance, operating system etc...All the same rules apply to both setups.

A mobile device will have a unique OS and probably unique or, at least, modified software, and the hardware add-ons are likely to be unique too.
That, for me, is enough to separate it from other types of computer recording.

Finally, it's a good idea to have it because many people will fly by and use this place once, but many people will settle.
I'm sure we all have forums that we frequent - Mutt with guitars, me with Protools/digital recording, Greg and Rami with drums and clinic.

Without sounding gay about it, a mobile devices forum would be 'home' to a lot of people.

Whether HR wants those people or not is a different matter.

Back