New Build

PDP

There once was a note
This is a Telecaster I just finished building, I'm not keeping it though. Its up 4sale on Reverb. The fingerboard is natural maple. The body is alder, painted acrylic red like the 50's Fenders.Tele Front.jpg

Very nice! What was involved here? Is it a finished kit for assembly or was there more to it than that?
Would love to see some pics of the process, if you have them.
Thanks for sharing.

Very nice! What was involved here? Is it a finished kit for assembly or was there more to it than that?
Would love to see some pics of the process, if you have them.
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, I built it from scratch. I bought everything off eBay (except the paint, the primer came from Home Depot the Red lacquer from Auto Zone) the neck and body came from upstate NY, everything else from China. It just sold on eBay, Reverb made me take it down for copyright infringement which I'm totally cool with.( I'm not planning to go into business selling knock-off Fenders). I just have too many guitars and wanted to get my money out of it. I laid out $240.00 to build it and it sold for $300.00 plus $25.00 shipping.

Cool stuff! Well done. :)
I was curious because I started making an acoustic guitar recently but I'm doing everything from scratch - Starting with lumps of wood.
I'm starting to think I bit of more than I can chew! :ROFLMAO:

Cool stuff! Well done. :)
I was curious because I started making an acoustic guitar recently but I'm doing everything from scratch - Starting with lumps of wood.
I'm starting to think I bit of more than I can chew! :ROFLMAO:
Hah that's definitely bold, especially an acoustic !. Hope I get to see it. Should be fun whatever the result . :geek:

What kinda wiring ? Fat Five? Superstrat? Tele2 with variable half out of phase? Don't tell me stock or 50's . A waste of talent.

What tone? Aki? Grease bucket? Drunken knee?

I just rewired my EPayPhone to Jimmy Page switching with 50's tone controls. 21 sounds on a 3 way.. A Telecaster can take a 5 position so I'd go Fat Five with a Fender Super Switch. Even Tele2 would be exciting.

Red body, gold trim. Nice.
Next project, build the body from scratch. Then project after that, build the neck. That's where I'm stuck at. I've been building a fretless bass for the last couple of years and trashed 3 necks so far. lol

Yeah lots of fun, building stuff. A dear friend of mine gifted me a late model Grand Cherokee, so I'm gonna build him a replica 50's sonic blue Tele as surprise gift. I should have it done in about 6 weeks I'll post it here. This is a picture of what I'm gonna copy

50's Tele.jpg

Are you gonna give it an aged finish by throwing it out a moving car?

People get into damaging them to look aged. Wire wheels , sanders, corrosives, etc.

and you got a Jeep now, so yeah...2 and 2 together.

Last edited:
Hey man, how can I fix slanted pickup? I rewired a Epiphone and the thing is not level. Front one is level. Its bugging me.
20210312_191352.jpg
Twist the mounting tangs? Slot them on each side with something small, and then twist them?
20210312_191704.jpgjp50's.png

Last edited:
Not sure, I've had that happen. It can be a few things. You have to inspect it, to find out what's making it tilt. In general pickups aren't meant to be raised real high. Sometimes you have to find another solution like putting in a hotter pickup if you want more output., or if it's a fender changing the entire slant of the neck and height of the bridge.

Seymour Duncan replied. They sent me a neck HB, not a Bridge. The vendor won't return, box it came in says bridge model. Seymour Duncan is allowing a swap.

Good company worth backing. Seymour Duncan stands behind their Pickups.

Hey PDP, I was looking at the neck on that thing, and was wondering if it had the gold Jescar EVO wire frets. The neck looks really good.

Hey PDP, I was looking at the neck on that thing, and was wondering if it had the gold Jescar EVO wire frets. The neck looks really good.
IDK I bought it on eBay I don't think they're anything special. I did level and polish them. I also scraped the poly off and rubbed some burnt umber acrylic in spots to give it a unique look. then oiled it with linseed.

It was bugging me so bad I fixed it. If the pickups are not parallel with the strings, the pickup will not sound correct.

The tabs need to be bent for the angle due to the hollow bodies bridge height.

20210316_212037.jpg
Parallel=

Duncan tech said to use foam blocks underneath. That is a poor fix. The can move and look ugly. Fail over time.

Bending the tabs is the preferred fix.

I've changed quite a few pups in my time and when that happened it was almost always the pup wire getting pinched or stuck with not enough slack to move as the pickup is raised. Normally the tell tale sign is when the pickup is low on the attached wire side. The opposite problem is when you lower the pup it begins to slant. That can be excess wire in the pup cavity. Of course....there are a number of other possibilities. I have to say I've never had to twist the brackets to fix the issue.......but anything is possible.

Mick

Back