"New" 424 mkII

Sexy Heather

TG Girl
I just won an apparently mint condition 424 mkII on eBay for less than $100 shipped! I am really looking forward to getting it and working with it, I've heard a lot of great things about the mkIIs. I'll post a mini review after I get it and test it out.

What is the difference between the mkI and mkII? I've got and mkII and I love it! Congrats on the deal!;)

I'm still learning the ins and outs of what my mkII does. Just starting with recording in general, but so far this little mkII kicks ass. From the looks of the mkIII, all they did was move some of the punch in/out controls and the record mode switches, and finally gave channels 5-8 full tonal controls like channels 1-4. I'll stick with my mkII.:D

I've had a mkII for years. Its a decent machine. I liked running it on high speed, I thought the increase in fidelity was significant.

In terms of build quality, I don't think those late model cassette Portastudios compare to the earlier Tascam machines. I compared a 424 mkII side by side to a 464 Portastudio, and the 464 won hands down. It was obviously a much more solid piece of gear. The really early Portastudios like the 246s look even better, though I haven't been able to do a side by side comparison with the 424mkII.

All that aside, you should be able to get some great sounds out of a mkII.

I've had a mkII for years. Its a decent machine. I liked running it on high speed, I thought the increase in fidelity was significant.

In terms of build quality, I don't think those late model cassette Portastudios compare to the earlier Tascam machines. I compared a 424 mkII side by side to a 464 Portastudio, and the 464 won hands down. It was obviously a much more solid piece of gear. The really early Portastudios like the 246s look even better, though I haven't been able to do a side by side comparison with the 424mkII.

All that aside, you should be able to get some great sounds out of a mkII.
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=238562

I just won an apparently mint condition 424 mkII on eBay for less than $100 shipped! I am really looking forward to getting it and working with it, I've heard a lot of great things about the mkIIs. I'll post a mini review after I get it and test it out.
I bought a mkll from ebay the same day I bought a mklll. UPS lost it. :mad: Good luck with yours.

I'm really gonna kick your ass now!!! :mad: Get over here to America right this minute young man!!! :mad:

Whose army are you gonna get to kick my ass you ebay fraudster! I know your type....:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

You better bolt your doors and windows shut because I'm on my way! :mad: :mad:

Whose army are you gonna get to kick my ass you ebay fraudster! I know your type....:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

You better bolt your doors and windows shut because I'm on my way! :mad: :mad:

I live in a castle with a green vomit moat. You’ll never get me!!! :mad: Oh wait…you like green vomit. :mad: :(

I do...and I am going to drink it all up and spew all over your face you useless little weasel. :mad: :mad:

I’m getting mighty tired of you pikin' on my good little buddy. I just purchased an airline ticket for Australia. I’m bringing several large vats of green cat vomit to Australia. Your mother has agreed to drag your whiney little ass down to the airport parking lot where I’m going to teach you how to swim!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Back