"New" 424 mkII

My 424 mkII arrived yesterday, and it's in mint condition. It came in the original box, with the owners manual. I tested it out last night by recording a band rehearsal. Wow, it sounds great! Very clear and clean, with a nice range of EQ options, thanks to the sweepable mids. I am very impressed, this is one great machine. More as I get further into it. Oh yeah, it looks way cool and I really like the bright LED readout. A top-notch machine!

I'm all for the 424mkII,...

having done a fair amount of recording on one, myself. It's very funcitonal, sounds nice, with [IMO] better designed topmount connectors, plus the highly visible flourescent display. It's flexible, easy to use & sounds good. The monitor is simple but adequate. The 2-simul in buss mode or 4-direct recording scheme is pretty good for being short of true 4-buss design, but since it only has 4 full channel strips the difference is negligible. It has autolocate, autopunch, RTZ & loop functions with a digital readout. I like the dark grey color. It's light & self contained (w/attached ac power cord). What's not to like?:eek:;)

Attachments

• Tascam 424mkII.jpg
    Tascam 424mkII.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I've had a "Brand New" (previous owner said he's only used it once) MK II for a week now. Got it for free from an online friend. I'm paying him the shipping on it. I've had a Mk III for several years prior to that (along with a Yamaha AW16G and a Pro Tools LE/Mac Rig) I always prefer the analog tape format for the warmth.

Head to head, you might not think it but the MkII sonically out performs the Mk III hands down. Ultra clean and Ultra quiet. The Mk III feels a lot less well constructed as well. Ergonomically, the layout of the Mk II has a more professional feel and look to it. I think the Mk II is definitely the best incarnation of the 424 series. :)

I've had a "Brand New" (previous owner said he's only used it once) MK II for a week now. Got it for free from an online friend. I'm paying him the shipping on it. I've had a Mk III for several years prior to that (along with a Yamaha AW16G and a Pro Tools LE/Mac Rig) I always prefer the analog tape format for the warmth.

Head to head, you might not think it but the MkII sonically out performs the Mk III hands down. Ultra clean and Ultra quiet. The Mk III feels a lot less well constructed as well. Ergonomically, the layout of the Mk II has a more professional feel and look to it. I think the Mk II is definitely the best incarnation of the 424 series. :)
That's why I wanted one. :(

I have two 424 mk2's (just in case one breaks)...
and I must say,...I also own a 464, but the pre-amps installed into it are garbage compared to the 424 mk2.
I think, IMO...the mk1's are a lower grade made with lower grade pre-amps in them,..vs. the mk2's with much better sounding pre-amps.
and I believe they may have built the 464 with those crappy pre-amps they installed on every other "light grey" machine Tascam has put out.
If anyone has noticed,..the 488 mk2, 424 mk2, and 424 mk3 all have great sound to them, and they all have that "dark grey" color to them.
The 644 and 688 midistudios are also of great quality,..but that's another topic.

Back