NEVE 1073 Clone

AllOrNothinEnt

I'm interested in getting a pre-amp that sounds closest to the Neve 1073.
I know there's more than a handful out there, but which sounds the closest?

I've never heard a Neve 1073, but I have a Great River and its supposed to sound like a Super Neve 1073. It sounds awesome and thats all I can tell you. It has that larger than life yet focused sound and everything that goes through it makes it fit good in mixes.

Which Neve 1073? There are some pretty sizeable variations due to condition and I believe variations on transformers. Anyway, if you are looking for a rich midrange with a silky top, that's the 'Neve' sound. And you can get that in many pieces on the market - some of the more popular being Vintech, Chandler (including their TG series), Great River, Brent Averill, Tab Funkenwerk, Aurora Audio, Phoenix Audio, OSA (describes 2 of their models - the L and L3), Purple Audio, and probably a few I haven't thought of that fits that description. If you want a Neve, buy a real 1073 or 1064 or a 1290. If you want great sound that will sound incredible with a great mic plugged into it, see my list above.

I have always heard that Shep and Wunder make incredible knockoffs, but at that price you can pretty much get a real one too:)

bigwillz24 said:
Why not get a real neve?

www.rupertneve.com

It's getting harder to locate older Neve gear. Many of the components and trannies have been replaced, and not always with the right stuff. Some of the stuff I acquired in the 1970's is almost extinct, today. The only clones that I would go with are the older Brent Averill units. Not to say that there aren't others.

In my experience a Great River, Neve Portico 5012, Seventh Circle build it yourself N72, and the Chamelion have the vibe.

These range from $1500 on the high end to $600 on the low end.

Lessons Learnt on Linear-Recording Neve 1073 Clone

Hi all.
My first post. I am not myself a guitarist nor a great lover of amps etc, but my SON is. I like the projects and I end up paying....

I have built a Weber JTM45 clone amp and two AX84 amps (high octane and october). Have also made a marshal 4x12" clone cab and a 2x12" clone cab.

Just completed a Neve 1073 clone based on the motherboards posted by Linear-Recording.

My son and I made the boards, populated them used the genuine Carnhill inductors and input/output transformers instead of the Sowters used by Linear (needed to made daughterboards to convert the pinouts).

Designed my own front panel and had it made by Front Panel Express.

I found all of the errors in the Linear design (there are at least three major ones on the 'populated or stuffed' overlay) and have got it all working.

I am posting this to provide any experience or help that I can.
Plenty of pics if interested.

Last edited:
Back