neumann clones

Yeah so well done they charge an assload for them. I bunch of high end companies have basically taken shots at doing their own version of the u series mics, especially the u47. You're looking at a least a couple grand for one of the clone mics.

i think peluso has a good u47 type clone for a good price. im not sure how it compares to the other u47 clones though. i would like to get one soon.

danny

thats the one :)

definately not a bad price if its a high quality mic and is even close to the characteristic of u47.

definately gonna save my pennies for one.

danny

No promises it sounds like a u47, but then I hear u47's don't sound like u47's so I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

from what i've heard, get the le or the se version of the peluso clone (22 47) which are around 1700. some folks say that the pearlman tm-1 is a better sounding clone of the u-47-- they cost about the same.

then again, since those both use peluso capsules and cinemag (or tamura transformers for some pearlmans) you could also probably source some parts and comission a good tech (such as philgood here :) to make something similar for your for far less money.

for even less than that, the oktavamod mk-319 pe and/or mk-219 pe have been compared by some users to the sound of a neumann u47 fet, and the tube mkl2500 has been compared to the u48 tube (albeit the mkl2500 only does cardioid). you could grab a new modded mk-219/319pe for about $440 shipped, or a get a used one and have it modded for even less.

from what i've heard, get the le or the se version of the peluso clone (22 47) which are around 1700. some folks say that the pearlman tm-1 is a better sounding clone of the u-47-- they cost about the same.

then again, since those both use peluso capsules and cinemag (or tamura transformers for some pearlmans) you could also probably source some parts and comission a good tech (such as philgood here :) to make something similar for your for far less money.

for even less than that, the oktavamod mk-319 pe and/or mk-219 pe have been compared by some users to the sound of a neumann u47 fet, and the tube mkl2500 has been compared to the u48 tube (albeit the mkl2500 only does cardioid). you could grab a new modded mk-219/319pe for about $440 shipped, or a get a used one and have it modded for even less.

thanks yah ive seen the mk-319 pop up. might have been in a u47 mic shoot out at gearslutz. didnt know it was such a low price. sounds like a damn good mic for the money.

danny

thanks yah ive seen the mk-319 pop up. might have been in a u47 mic shoot out at gearslutz. didnt know it was such a low price. sounds like a damn good mic for the money.

danny

there's a thread in this microphone forum not far down. i have a mk-219pe and it's an awesome mic. i've tried a whole bunch of mics this year and imho (and the ho's of many others as far as i can tell), it's one of the best values you can get in a mic at around that price, and is the equal of mics costing much more (right now my ldc collection is down to the mk-219pe, a blue kiwi, a blue mouse and a philgood tube microphone). if you're just starting out a mic collection and can get by with just cardioid (that's all i used for years), then i think that the mk-219pe or mk-319pe would be one of the best choices you could make for a condenser.

there's a thread in this microphone forum not far down. i have a mk-219pe and it's an awesome mic. i've tried a whole bunch of mics this year and imho (and the ho's of many others as far as i can tell), it's one of the best values you can get in a mic at around that price, and is the equal of mics costing much more (right now my ldc collection is down to the mk-219pe, a blue kiwi, a blue mouse and a philgood tube microphone). if you're just starting out a mic collection and can get by with just cardioid (that's all i used for years), then i think that the mk-219pe or mk-319pe would be one of the best choices you could make for a condenser.

im restarting my mic collection since i thought i was going to sell everything i had off recently and stopped after i sold all my mics. decided im going back to the basics for a while :D. if i could go back in time i would have at least kept my akg c414s.

so im lookin for the good bang for the price mics again and that sounds like a good one to me. it would be cool to work with philgood on some mic mods if hes not too busy.

danny

im restarting my mic collection since i thought i was going to sell everything i had off recently and stopped after i sold all my mics. decided im going back to the basics for a while :D. if i could go back in time i would have at least kept my akg c414s.

so im lookin for the good bang for the price mics again and that sounds like a good one to me. it would be cool to work with philgood on some mic mods if hes not too busy.

danny

yeah-- www.oktavamod.com if you're talking about those-- michael joly is a very cool guy, or pm philgood here-- he is also a very cool guy.
i've had a really bad customer service experience with a tech (5 month delay, numerous lies (for lack of a better word) about the status of my mic), and those two are awesome with customer service and the work that they do.

yeah-- www.oktavamod.com if you're talking about those-- michael joly is a very cool guy, or pm philgood here-- he is also a very cool guy.
i've had a really bad customer service experience with a tech (5 month delay, numerous lies (for lack of a better word) about the status of my mic), and those two are awesome with customer service and the work that they do.

perfect thank you. i would even like to start learning how to mod them myself.

danny

well, i'm not sure about the oktavamodding, but for tube mics there's a pretty lengthy thread here on apex 460 modding, which iirc, changes the circuit to be something like a pimped out akg c-12 and can be as simple as changing a few capacitors, the capsule and the transformer (though you can do more than that too). the mod that philgood did for me is basically a royer mod on steroids-- added a peluso capsule and a switch to allow it to work in cardioid and omni and used a different tube than the royer mod which he wired to heat more like the ef14 in a u47. the royer mod is still available on-line if you search it, but royer doesn't sell the kits or the pcb's anymore (he started manufacturing the mics in china and selling them as the mojave audio ma-200's), so you'd need make your own out of breadboard, or etch them yourself.

oh yeah-- don't forget about the soundelux neumann clones (if you can find them-- the company has resurfaced as bock audio, but they don't make many of those clone models now), wunder cm7, lawson, wagner, the vaporware "nu47" or korby's if you have deep pockets.

oh yeah-- don't forget about the soundelux neumann clones (if you can find them-- the company has resurfaced as bock audio, but they don't make many of those clone models now), wunder cm7, lawson, wagner, the vaporware "nu47" or korby's if you have deep pockets.

I've heard several people over at gearslutz absolutely rave about the soundelux u clones. Eventually I think the prices might start going up on these bad boys. What did they call them, e47's? Isn't there an ak-47?

e47's-- yeah those look like some serious-ass mics. the ak-47 is telefunken's mic, but supposedly not a u-47 clone. iirc it's part of their "budget" line with the m-16 mk II (the mk I was the >$1000 mic that was virtually identical to the approx. $250 apex 460).

Thanks again for all the info, lots of stuff so far ... be interesting to see what else may come along if this thread is kept alive!

Not sure is this qualifies as a U-87 copy but Fletcher at Mercenary loves it.
http://www.mercenary.com/teusarak.html
Telefunken RFT AK-47

Thanks for that pathdoc, I think kojdogg mentioned it earlier as a telefunken clone? Still all info is good.... I wish I was closer to the US or Europe to be able to try more of these. *sigh*.
At the moment I must say I have had my curiousity piqued by the oktavamod stuff and when he is back from leave will most likely order one of the 319 mod's that he has and see how it goes.... :confused::eek: :D

Back