Need some direction

James Argo said:
Vice...
What's your driver mode in SONAR ?

Options --> Audio --> Advanced tab.

WDM or MME ?

WDM drivers are being used. The ones I am using are the ones installed by WinXP. I am also not in any offset mode as near as I can tell. I have changed the meters to a less broad range (doh!) That actually helps me see things more clearly (Thanks mixsit!).

'IF' the record meter, playback meter, and V-main meters are set to the same range, and the track fader and V-main are set to 'zero', and you're not adding any gain (in a plugin), all should line up (I believe) as to what 'zero' db is. (..with a single track playing)
If you add gain in a plugin (at the track level) and/or at the V-main level, then your 'Pre/Post' meter settings will also make a difference.
Wayne

I am of the same belief, so, I did that. That's why I am suspecting something with that Windows Mixer. I am going to run some tests and get back with you guys later on today... I really appreciate the help.

Vice

I took a snapshot of what I am trying to fix. I have Sonar set to lock the peaks. You will notice about 6dB difference in the tracks volume and the Mains. I don't have offset mode on. The signal path is as follows:

DM5 drums --> Mixer --> Line-in jack on SB Live! --> Sonar

This is what I can't figure out. Why is there such a difference? In Windows Mixer I have all the volumes set to max in an effort to have some baseline at which to start pulling faders down.

Thanks again,

Vice

Attachments

• sonarpic2gif.gif
    sonarpic2gif.gif
    87.8 KB · Views: 64
Vice, one of the reason why The Almighty dachay2tnr always said "Stay away from the console view" is because it somehow can confuse you :D

I mean, take a look at my pic attached...

When I solo the track, the track next to it still be shown playing (<----).

Differences between track's meter & VMain meter (<----)

etc...

All you have to do is to make same setting on three of <------ (Playback meters, Record meters, and Main Bus meters) to what I've pointed <---- (Peak, Pre fadder, -60dB). Make sure three of them were set to the same value. Otherwise, you'll get confused by what they showed. Just my two cents..

Hope it helps
;)
Jaymz

Attachments

• fool console.jpg
    fool console.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 65
James Argo said:
Vice, one of the reason why The Almighty dachay2tnr always said "Stay away from the console view" is because it somehow can confuse you :D
And you all know that the Console View ROCKS!!! YEAH BABY!!!

:)

moskus said:
And you all know that the Console View ROCKS!!! YEAH BABY!!!
:)

It ROCKS when you know how to set it up...

...and when those chicks look at it and say "Whoa, Jaymz... your work looks so complex. And you're good on it". Makes me feel like... I'm good. Cool, eh ? :D

Ok, thanks guys... That solved about half of the problem. Incidentally, I never use console view... I merely used for illustration purposes :) All my meters are now reading the same level. Why does it sound different (louder) going into Sonar than it does on playback? The peaks are the same in the track and the output bus.

You guys are great!

Vice

How are you monitoring on the way in?
I use a hardware mixer for all my monitoring, which gives me completly independent monitor vs play-back levels, so if your doing the 'Input-Monitor' route, I won't be much help...:cool:
Wayne

The way its setup now is everything from the mixer goes into the Line jack of the SB Live. I have the output coming out of the Live drive bay to my speakers... That enables me to hear my DX instruments along with the rest of my mix...

Vice

And if I look at your pic, I believe you monitor thru regular "SB Live! Line in enable" way, rather than using Input monitor ing in SONAR. That should work fine for you :) . I'm still curious how can you recieved low signal... I run exactly same setup, but I didn't see any problem with it :confused: hhmmm...

Finally! I have figured out the low signal I was getting. It was coming from the live drive. When I moved my speakers to the output of the card as opposed to the Live drive bay everything sounded normal. A few months ago I was trying to figure out another issue and as a result of that I had removed my patch panel from my setup. That was when I started using the Live Drive for the output to the speakers instead of the soundcard. I really appreciate all the help!

I do have one more question, though. With the DXi's is the volume only controlled in Sonar? I noticed that any fader movements in the Windows Mixer (except for the Playback fader) didn't affect the volume of the DXi synth.

Any takers?

Vice

Relax Vice...

Windows mixer indeed doesn't affect any audio & DXi playback if you select other than MME driver driver in SONAR. So, if you select WDM, or ASIO, it will bypass Windows playback volume. You may control 'em from SONAR (Soundfonts -unless you run it thru LiveSynth Pro- is exception). I believe it's because WDM & ASIO tend to route the audio signal straigth to your application software (SONAR) rather than route it thru OS (Windows) first.

With MME driver:
Hardware --> MME Driver--> Windows --> Wav --> SONAR --> Wav (DirectSound) --> Windows --> MME Driver --> Hardware.

With WDM/ASIO driver:
Hardware --> WDM/ASIO --> SONAR --> WDM --> Hardware.

Here you can see, that's why WDM/ASIO give you lower latency. They provide more direct communication between the software and the hardware.

;)
Jaymz

Great! It's always good to hear when progress has been made.
A quick question please. What is 'Live drive bay'? Is that a Sound Blaster thing?
Wayne

mixsit said:
A quick question please. What is 'Live drive bay'? Is that a Sound Blaster thing?
Yes. It's a box with many inputs/outputs connected to the Live, and fits into a CD-ROM space in your computer... Make the LiveDrive seem more advanced than it is... ;)

moskus said:
Yes. It's a box with many inputs/outputs connected to the Live, and fits into a CD-ROM space in your computer... Make the LiveDrive seem more advanced than it is... ;)

Yeah, it sure fooled me when I bought it! :p Now that I know the truth about Soundblaster, I would have purchased just the card. 2 ins/outs is all that you get, no matter what type of interfaces they have...

James, thanks for the info... Things are a lot clearer now.

This can of worms has now led to some more questions, but I will do more research before I ask...

Vice

vicevursa said:
Now that I know the truth about Soundblaster...

You have now learned the Truth About SoundBlaster,
and when you Throw It Out, you will learn the
Power Of A Good SoundCard!

:D

moskus said:
You have now learned the Truth About SoundBlaster,
and when you Throw It Out, you will learn the
Power Of A Good SoundCard!

:D

Soon my friend, very soon. I made an agreement with my wife that I wouldn't make that purchase until I felt I could make consistent recordings with the ol' Soundblaster... With the help I got this past weekend I should be making strides toward that goal! Then I, too, will have the "Power of a Good SoundCard!"

Vice

In case you're on tight budget, Terratec EWS2496 or Audiophile 2496 is fairly good card for the price. You only need 2 in 2 out, right Vice ?

;)
Jaymz

Yeah, I only need 2 in 2 out, but I want more, say 8. I'm looking at the C-port or the MAudio. I want to have an input for each of my instruments' outputs. Plus, if I ever get brave enough I might plug my mic back in and do some vocals...

Vice

Back