Need some direction

vicevursa

Hey, I feel rather silly, but here goes...

Ok, I'm using Sonar 2.1, WinXP, SBLive! with Live Drive 1, and a Behringer MX802a mixer. I have done some research and the more research I do, the less I seem to comprehend. Here's my problem. I am trying to work out some kind of consistency in my recordings. That's what everybody wants, right?

My signal path is as follows:
Hardware synth-->mixer-->line in SB Live-->Sonar. Simple, right? The meters in Sonar show good levels, I push the signal, but it doesn't clip. But no matter what I do, I can't seem to get decent waveforms. Everything is weak graphically and audibly. This before any effects or processing. I went to cakewalk's support page and came across the windows mixer. I have started messing with that, but things have seemingly only gotten worse. I find myself constantly manipulating the faders in windows mixer while recording and playback. This doesn't seem right to me. Somebody help me please! I will provide more detail of my setup if needed...
Do I have something not setup right in Sonar?

Vice

You are "messing" with the recording section of the Windows Mixer?

Windows Mixer: Options -> Preferenses -> Select Recording -> OK

Yeah, I'm messing with both. As it stands right now. I have the Playback master and the Record master set all the way up. I have been adjusting the recording line-in fader...

Unlike the picture on cakewalk's site I don't have the "What you hear" fader. I think I remember seeing that when I had WinME.

Vice

vice,

I think you get the 'What you hear' when you have the Creative Drivers loaded onto you system. If you are using XP I know if you use the standard XP driver it doesn't give you the option to record 'what u hear'. If you install the creative driver it will give you that option.

Porter

I see. I thought I read somewhere to leave Creative's drivers alone, so I didn't bother with them. Is that the fader I need to help correct my levels?

Vice

The What U hear fader is literally that. It can be confusing sometimes, especially if you monitor with the Sound Blaster... because, you guessed it, if you monitor it, you also record it.

I was just saying that that is how you get the 'What U Hear' 'fader' to appear.

To get the 'decent waveform' you are looking at you will probably need to use serious compression.

Porter

Yes, I am monitoring with the SB Live. I basically record a track at a time, so it is pretty basic. Now, compression is something I try not to use too much. In the past I have a couple of songs that came out pretty good. But, lately I can seem to get things right. Needless to say it is rather frustrating.

Vice

I have my QS6.1 going into channels 1 and 2. My DM5 drum machine is in channels 3 thru 6. I figure since I am monitoring through the SB Live! I have my mixer's levels set good. All I want to do is translate that into Sonar. I would be happy!
This problem, incidentally, is also affecting how I hear and record my softsynths... Help!!!

Vice

vicevursa said:
...<snip>...
..The meters in Sonar show good levels, I push the signal, but it doesn't clip. But no matter what I do, I can't seem to get decent waveforms. Everything is weak graphically and audibly...
Vice
Excuse me if I go too basic here.:)
The Sonar record meter and the resulting recored signal should relate. I'm wondering what kind of level were you getting on the meters. How about the meter's scale setting? If it's set for a wide
range like 0-40, 'near the top' would be like what you are describing.
Wayne

NO, please go basic if needed. I'm trying to garner some understanding! When I record, I watch the track meter and the signal doesn't clip. I'm thinking I am doing something right. While I'm recording I am monitoring and everything sounds great. When I play what I've recorded the sound is low and sometimes (more often than not) the playback meter clips. So I turn the volume down a notch and re-record. Obviously, my track volume is lower. Now, the playback meter is no longer clipping, but the volume is even lower. I am of the belief this has something to do with the way Windows Mixer and Sonar interact. What I can't figure out is how. I know the realtionshop is simple, but I find myself no longer using the faders in Sonar at all, unless I am adding volume to the track.
I hope this information helps you guys help me...

Vice

Re: Re: Need some direction

mixsit said:
...If it's set for a wide range like 0-40, 'near the top' would be like what you are describing.

I will change the meters to a more narrow range and see if that helps. Although, I have been using the same range since I have been recording with Sonar. But, I can see where you are going with that, mixsit.

Thanks,

Vice

Another possible curve to consider...:D
'IF' the record meter, playback meter, and V-main meters are set to the same range, and the track fader and V-main are set to 'zero', and you're not adding any gain (in a plugin), all should line up (I believe) as to what 'zero' db is. (..with a single track playing)
If you add gain in a plugin (at the track level) and/or at the V-main level, then your 'Pre/Post' meter settings will also make a difference.
Wayne

Hi. Me again.:rolleyes:
I just had another flashback..and that's 'Offest Mode'. I've been goofed up royally more that once by having accidentally made changes with that on, then wondering why my settings didn't work right.
:rolleyes: :D

Yeah, "Offset Mode" can really make you wonder 'bout what's going on...

I deleted a mix when I was starting with Sonar, because I didn't figure out that Offset Mode was on...

Well, lesson learned! :)

moskus said:
Yeah, "Offset Mode" can really make you wonder 'bout what's going on...

I deleted a mix when I was starting with Sonar, because I didn't figure out that Offset Mode was on...

Well, lesson learned! :)

Yeah... I figured it out too. Offset Mode was there to delete your mix... ;)

Wasn't it ? :D :D :D

Back