Need opinion on recorded acoustic guitar tracks

Saloje

Hello !

I'm struggling how to record my acoustic guitar as you can see below in these two dry records ( One from Rode NT1, and second from my L.R.Baggs Lyric ). I'v tried everything and need opinion on these recorded track. I hear some boomines in low sections of guitar and i can get rid of that with EQ, but what i realy wanna know are these recorded tracks worth procesing further or do i need a beter mic, better room setup or something elese ( better guitar maybe, hope not ).

Any suggestions are wellcome.:D

Rode NT1, position - from neck to body of gutar View attachment Mixdown Neck Mic position.mp3

L.R.Baggs Lyric - instaled in guitar View attachment Mixdown Lyric Mic.mp3

I'm far from a experienced professional engineer but to me these both sound Freakin Great !!! Really like the Rode NT1 sound !!
Hell even the family in the background around 1:27 sounds good :)

I don't have any suggestions other then, Post More because I could listen to this style guitar all day !!

I'm far from a experienced professional engineer but to me these both sound Freakin Great !!! Really like the Rode NT1 sound !!
Hell even the family in the background around 1:27 sounds good :)

I don't have any suggestions other then, Post More because I could listen to this style guitar all day !!

Well thx for your opinion. I was just checking mic without proper outer noise reduction so my family ended on those recordings :). I was hoping to get better sound so i installed home made dumpers around me hoping to get dry sound for further processing, and would realy like ppl to comment on recordings, so thx for you post mate.

It sounds pretty good to me. I don't think the boominess is a problem, particularly. Especially if you're doing some kind of solo acoustic blues, that thump you've got on the low end is in the role of the bass, which should have a thump in that kind of music. The thing that jumped out for me was your signal-to-noise ratio. If there is some way to position your mic to catch more of the guitar and less of the background noise, the tracks might be easier to work with. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to use either of these recordings.

The Rode has a lot more mid and upper mid detail. It's a little too brittle. But I would think that moving just a little bit closer to the sound hole would help take care of that.

The other mic (which I'm not familiar with) was a little cloudy and boxy. It also picked up a lot of extra bumps and knocks. I don't know if that was a difference in performances, or a difference in the mics. But I could hear stuff knocking against the side of the guitar.

I preferred the Rode, but I think you need to get rid of some brittleness.

The thing that jumped out for me was your signal-to-noise ratio. If there is some way to position your mic to catch more of the guitar and less of the background noise, the tracks might be easier to work with. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to use either of these recordings.

I positioned Rode mic 30 cm from top of the neck facing the body of the guitar, and i mean really far from neck.I know that background noise was a problem but i didn't record this particular part of song in a wery good conditions ( you can hear my children in the background he he ). if i put mic closer to sound hole of the guitar i get much more low end and boomines of that bass so i tried to avoid that. one more position seemed nice to me but i don't have that recorded. It's when i put mic pointed from back of the guitar to the part between sadle and sound hole.

The other mic (which I'm not familiar with) was a little cloudy and boxy. It also picked up a lot of extra bumps and knocks. I don't know if that was a difference in performances, or a difference in the mics. But I could hear stuff knocking against the side of the guitar.

I preferred the Rode, but I think you need to get rid of some brittleness.

That other mic is L.R.Baggs Lyric- a installed mic inside body of guitar that i can amplifiy through PA system when playing gigs .
Here is link to that mic Lyric Acoustic Guitar Microphone | LR Baggs
Mic also have a trim control for adjusting brightenes less or more, and i was just using it for comparrison with Rode mic

I also think Rode is much better sounding mic and i'm trying to find a better spot for it. Im trying to get nice brightning sound with bright bass string, not muddy as i have now on recording, or i hear it wrong. Any way thanks for info .
I'm gona make a few clips with Rode on different positions and post it here. I would realy like to hear your's and other opinions. You guys have been so much help in those unslept nights when, you know, your ears don't listen anymore he he:).

Thx allot :)

Did you record it to a click track? It sounds a bit stiff/"metronomic" for Delta blues.

I'd personally try to loosen it up a bit (get a little more swing into it, too), then place a more distant room mic and get ambiance and blend that into the close mic. Delta blues doesn't sound right recorded close and dry.

I guess it depends how authentic you're going for, but the playing, recording, and guitar all sound good so it's something more nuanced.

Did you record it to a click track? It sounds a bit stiff/"metronomic" for Delta blues.

I'd personally try to loosen it up a bit (get a little more swing into it, too), then place a more distant room mic and get ambiance and blend that into the close mic. Delta blues doesn't sound right recorded close and dry.

I guess it depends how authentic you're going for, but the playing, recording, and guitar all sound good so it's something more nuanced.

Well i already posted at beginning of my post that i didn't get into that song , i mean really emotional because my plan was to get that mic in right position, get the best recording. So for my playing and etc. forget about it, just ignore it i can hopefully do it better :). I just wanted to get that mic in right place and get that nice sounding track. Those track i uploaded are dry, i mean no effect is on them, no EQ, no filters, i mean nothing. I just boosted up volume a bit beacuse loudest peaks where recorded at -12db.

Well i already posted at beginning of my post that i didn't get into that song.

I only read the first post and glanced over the writing and went right to the audio file. I didn't see anything about that, though.

Your playing is good just stiff for the style. The acoustic's recording sounds good, so if that's the only concern you should be good to go.

Good playing. The neck positioning of the mic does offer less boomyness, but your sacrificing some of the body and resonance you could get from putting an additional mic to one side of the hole. I'm hearing some finger artifacts as well.
Also, you needed to light up the "Recording" sign, lol, as I heard a family member talking in the background/

I honestly think you can make both recordings work really nicely with proper balancing and mixing. Of course you can keep going for better and better quality but they sound pretty solid. Maybe play it a bit closer to the mic to let more resonance come through.

I'd have to agree with benyamind...there is a nice boom chick type of action with your bass even to a point that some of the high end suffers a tiny bit. Both are good recordings but I prefer the Rode.

Btw: nicely played!

Thx for info guys. I'm gona use Rode and move it a little bit closer to the hole facing from neck. I also found this so called vintage possition from back of the guitar facing up to body of guitar and gonna try this also. Sry for fammily voices in bacground but i like to call this an experiment, not real thing. He he.

You should try placing the mic above/over your shoulder. I think that's a cool position for Delta blues. Or in the middle of the room facing you. I wouldn't close mic this style personally.

Back