Need help with monitor controller/vinyl/recording setup

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to say thanks for all the help on this. -- Truly appreciated.

One last set of questions:

Is there a chain of command for powering up any of these? Meaning are there any considerations for making sure nothing goes on before something else? Or is that all kind of irrelevant?

Second, my phono preamp has a ground silverish-metal type thing sticking off the back... what needs to go on there? Some sort of cable?

Lastly.. I'm still a bit confused as to just exactly how the output from the computer gets to the speakers. USB--Interface--Speakers? --- All files heard from the interface are essentially funneled through the Audio Software? Isn't there an easier way to just connect something from the computer directly into the big knob and play everything from the computer through the monitors.. recorded tracks/ and everything else included?

No, there is no start up sequence, most of us just bang everything on at the start. Good idea to leave the BK volume pot at zero when you turn off so nothing blasts thru the monitors.

That is an earth/ground terminal on the pre amp. If your turntable has a separate earth wire, connect it there.

The BK is not a D to A converter (some controllers are) therefore it must be fed from the AI.

Dave.

That is an earth/ground terminal on the pre amp. If your turntable has a separate earth wire, connect it there.
Sorry about that, I didn't read closely enough and thought we were still talking about skipping that preamp and going straight from phono to BK. Dave's right.

Only thing to add, and it's been mentioned before. Speakers.
Turn them off First, and turn them on last. You dont want to find out the hard way what pops and can pop your monitors.

ALWAYS, speakers off FIRST, and on LAST.

Its a good safety routine to follow.

Only thing to add, and it's been mentioned before. Speakers.
Turn them off First, and turn them on last. You dont want to find out the hard way what pops and can pop your monitors.

ALWAYS, speakers off FIRST, and on LAST.

Its a good safety routine to follow.

Yes, good plan. Some systems can put bangs thru the speakers (why I said leave the pot at 0). But then SOME active monitors "bang" at on/off anyway. However, my Tannoys, who have known a bit about speakers for nigh on a century, don't!

Dave.

I never turn my monitor amp or the headphone amp that I use as a monitor controller off except when I'm leaving town for a while, and I never worry about it, but then I know that my interfaces don't pop.

I got into that habit using analog gear.
Most stuff is pop-less but....
some pops, and then you get a new rack addition. Will it pop or not?
So, I have a multi speaker switching box and they always get shut down first.
After frying a few tweeters, better to be safe.
Tweeters for NS 10s are expensive, and the old days of going down the road for a replacement are over.

No, it's good advice. Its an absolute golden rule in live sound! You turn the power amps/powered speakers off using their own power switches (not the power strip!) before everything else, and they're always last to come on also. I pissed off a bar owner a couple of years ago and he flipped the circuit breaker running the whole show. Blew two rented 15" woofers and a horn. Cost him like $500, and the festival I was playing for pulled all the bands that were supposed to play there the next night.

No, there is no start up sequence, most of us just bang everything on at the start. Good idea to leave the BK volume pot at zero when you turn off so nothing blasts thru the monitors.

The BK is not a D to A converter (some controllers are) therefore it must be fed from the AI.

Dave.

Ok. -- Gotcha.

I'm not sure if I still have whatever cable would be necessary to connect the preamp groun to the turntable.. is that a specific cable?

Sorry for my ridiculous newbness on this again but just exactly how do recorded tracks of any kind get fed from my computer through the monitors? I understand the AI acts as a bridge between the BK/Computer and monitors but will essentially anything that plays on my computer come out of them or just recorded tracks from whatever recordings are used in conjunction with the AI? I guess to clarify, I was hoping to have ANYTHING from my computer come out of the monitors.. including Youtube Videos, Itune/Spotify, and then recorded tracks as well for editing. -- Basically an all-in-one studio type deal.

Most turntables of the old school had a black earth wire dangling out the backs. Quite thin as it is not a safety earth, merely grounds the metalwork to eliminate hum. There might be an earth terminal on the TT or maybe nothing at all which means the earth is made via the pickup signal wires, not optimum for hum but probably ok in this case.

Re reproduction of all sound sources? Yes the AI will be the sole conduit for that. You would normally set a sound repro' device as Default Playback (and record if it applied) but the AI here SHOULD be using ASIO drivers and that should sort all that out anyway.
N.B. Go into Windows Sounds and select "No Sounds" from the menu to stop those irritating bleeps and bloops. Should not be necessary but I also like to go into Device Manager and disable (NOT uninstall) the system soundcard. Be call "High Definition Sound" "Realtech" or similar.

Dave.

Most turntables of the old school had a black earth wire dangling out the backs. Quite thin as it is not a safety earth, merely grounds the metalwork to eliminate hum. There might be an earth terminal on the TT or maybe nothing at all which means the earth is made via the pickup signal wires, not optimum for hum but probably ok in this case.

Re reproduction of all sound sources? Yes the AI will be the sole conduit for that. You would normally set a sound repro' device as Default Playback (and record if it applied) but the AI here SHOULD be using ASIO drivers and that should sort all that out anyway.
N.B. Go into Windows Sounds and select "No Sounds" from the menu to stop those irritating bleeps and bloops. Should not be necessary but I also like to go into Device Manager and disable (NOT uninstall) the system soundcard. Be call "High Definition Sound" "Realtech" or similar.

Dave.

You're the man Dave. -- Much appreciated. Again the AI is a FocusRite Scarlett... so you're saying the AI just plugs into my tower via USB.. and then with some tweaking essentially anything that comes out of the computer will funnel through the monitors?

This is the turntable. It's newer so I'm not sure if it has a ground wire:

Orbit Plus Turntable – U-Turn Audio

Back