Need help with microphones, connecting to SB Ti HD soundcard

thecalculator

Hello everyone. :)

Please I am in need of help! I'm planning to stream on Twitch sometime this summer. I'm working with a SoundBlaster X-FI Titanium HD sound card and AKG K712 Pro headphones. I'm thinking about purchasing a Blue Yeti Pro microphone. The thing is, I don't think the Blue Yeti Pro will connect to the Ti HD sound card. I believe the Yeti Pro uses USB or XLR outputs. The Ti HD uses analog or optical.

How can I connect the Blue Yeti Pro to the Ti HD sound card? Do I need to buy a mixer? A converter? If so, which one? or should I consider other microphones?

This is for gaming, streaming, occasional singing, and talking smack. :D

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

You don't connect the Blue Yeti to the Soundblaster card nor is the Soundblaster card even used in any way with the mic. The Blue Yeti has its own "soundcard"/interface internally and connected via a USB port, so the Soundblaster card is essentially out of the picture for all practical purposes except for possibly playback/monitoring of the sound of the mic through headphones or monitors. You would select the Blue Yeti in your software rather than the Soundblaster card.

thanks for the reply. But I am asking about the Blue Yeti Pro which has the XLR.

I assumed since you were purchasing a USB mic you would using USB and not XLR. Is there a reason you want to use the soundcard rather than USB?

You could probably just use a cheap small mixer with XLR inputs and connect the outs of the mixer to the analog ins of the soundcard. You could use most any XLR mic that way, either dynamic or condenser (phantom power on the mixer for condenser mics).

No specific reasons. I just want make more use of the card. Would the USB be better in this situation vs. Cheap mixer with XLR inputs? Would I be able to connect my headphones to the mixer as well?

Thanks Arcaxis for taking the time helping me understand. I think I'm going to go with the mixer route. Any mixer you recommend?

Thanks Arcaxis for taking the time helping me understand. I think I'm going to go with the mixer route. Any mixer you recommend?

if I may? Folks here will tell you that Creative cards are not well thought of for "serious" audio and recording applications but I dare say that one will be fine for your limited usage.

As for the mixer? You will not go wrong with a Behringer Xenyx 802 but there are plenty of others of about the same stamp by Yamaha, Tascam, Peavey and many more. Try to steer clear of "USB" mixers, just $$s you don't need to spend. You will also need two sets of twin RCA-RCA leads.

Dave.

Thank you guys for shedding light on this thread. I'm one step closer to getting what I want! So.. I'm about to order the microphone and the mixer, they're already in the cart. You said I will also need two sets of twin RCA-RCA's? Does the quality of the cables matter? If so please guide me on which cables to purchase. What's the correct way to connect everything together?

1. SB X-FI Ti HD
2. AkG K712 Pro
3. Behringer Xenyx 802 8-Channel Mixer
4. Blue Yeti Pro (XLR)
5. Cables?

You know what Arcaxis, I was actually checking out other mics. I was looking at AT2020, AT3035, rode nt1, the list goes on. My budget for a mic would be around $250. What do you think?

Last edited:
Back