Need help with cool edit pro (Recording)

Anthony310

I just set up my new Art Tube Pre, Lexicon Alpha interface, and my MXL 990 Condenser mic. So far so good, but when I try to record in Cool Edit Pro it seems as if it isnt recording at all, just a flat line. Listening in closer, I can barely hear anything, but it is recording. I don't understand what wrong , Before I was recording without any interface, just with a USB Condenser mic just fine. I clicked on Monitor Recording Levels and it seems to be picking up the mic signal but every time its the same, just a really low muffled recording. Weird, I can hear the mic through my headphones loud and clear though. Any ideas?

Things to check:

-that the phantom power from the Art Pre amp is switched on.

-that your cable from the ART Pre to the Interface is wired correctly and that the gain on the Lexicon is turned up.

-that you have the proper input from the Lexicon is selected in Cool Edit--you may just be recording the wrong channel.

If it's not one of those, please can you give more details of what version of CEP you have, exactly what's plugged into what, what version of Windows you have and what you're seeing on the Audio control panel for Windows, etc. etc.

I've used CE through Audition and I'm pretty sure all the versions of CE from 1.5 through to audition 2.0 have this setting in the exact same place.

If you haven't figure it out yet you should open up CE and from the options menu up top click edit/audio hardware setup. As long as your getting signal going in the settings here are the most common issue. At the bottom you will have a selection for default input and output, check here and make sure you have your Lexicon interface setup as your input device. If you can't select if here and get things going check your input/output ports, (right above the default input/output selector) and make sure your lexicon interface is showing up in the box there, (the individual tracks from your interface should show up in the Mono section. If it's not there then you have a driver issue.

Now if they are showing up you should check the actual track your trying to record on. Right below the track number is the input selector. Click that, go to the mono drop down and see if you can choose the channel on your Lexicon that you are using and give it another go. Coincidentally, you can also access the audio hardware setup screen from the input selector drop down menu under any track.

The same thing applies to the edit view of CE as far as choosing the right audio input to source from. Back before Audition 2.0 you could easily record background audio, (like web content, etc.) just by setting up the input and the windows mixer properly. It was very handy for grabbing audio from random sources.

Back