Need help with Ableton dropouts after reformat

RyanHubris

Hi there, looking for some help after a week of troubleshooting myself. I recently reformatted my computer, and after a fresh install of Ableton 8.2.2 none of my projects will playback without drastic lag, clicking/distortion noises, and dropouts. I'm completely puzzled. My computer ran as smooth as ever before the reformat. I've also done this multiple times with no problems at all. What could possible be happening? Here are my specs:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 2
Intel Core i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz
4G of RAM
using Ableton 8.2.2

It takes a bit longer than usual to open one of my projects, but as soon as its open, even by clicking around the track I see the CPU usage shoot up to 55%, 150%, etc. When I try and play a track, it shoots up to around 400% and drops out. Like I said before, the projects were perfectly fine before, no lag or overloads at ALL. It makes no sense.

I feel like I've tried everything. I ran memtest and memory is fine. I reinstalled the entire Ableton library of instruments. What could possibly be going wrong?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

If you could add some information. There has to be something different. I noticed I put in a 2TB hard drive, 7200 RPMs, but now I am getting more disk lag. Did you upgrade your HD? Either that or some driver didn't get updated?

If you could add some information. There has to be something different. I noticed I put in a 2TB hard drive, 7200 RPMs, but now I am getting more disk lag. Did you upgrade your HD? Either that or some driver didn't get updated?

There's nothing different about the hardware of my computer. I think it might have something to do with drivers, but I'm at a loss at where to start / how to update them. Can you offer any advice?

There's nothing different about the hardware of my computer. I think it might have something to do with drivers, but I'm at a loss at where to start / how to update them. Can you offer any advice?

This may be the obvious, start with your interface, then look at the buffers. Next I would look to make sure you have the hardware drivers from the manufacturer's site, they should have specific driver package. XP may give you issues as support for it is being phased out. But I think you can get Driver packages.

This may be the obvious, start with your interface, then look at the buffers. Next I would look to make sure you have the hardware drivers from the manufacturer's site, they should have specific driver package. XP may give you issues as support for it is being phased out. But I think you can get Driver packages.
So this problem has still been lingering. I don't think it's Ableton related because other programs have been acting laggy. I downloaded HW Monitor but have no idea how to interpret the data. Can anyone here give me any insight?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/470395/hwmonitor.JPG

- Ryan

Back