Need help asap!

maxabillion

Recording a band today. However, for some reason I cannot get a signal to process in the 3rd and 4th inputs of my interface (a fastrack ultra). The mics are working fine (they send a signal when plugged into the 1st and 2nd input) but the third and fourth will not even register a signal. What could be wrong?

Also, for the 1st and 2nd input, the channel levels don't affect anything. For example, I have them turned all the way down (on the interface) but the signal still comes in way too hot.

I have tried closing everything down, rebooting, switching mics, etc. What could be the problem

Setup:
mic (either a shure sm58 or mxl 990) micing a guitar amp, into the channel input of a fastrack ultra interface, connected by usb to an Imac, into Protools 9. Any help would be great! Thank you!

Hi there,
A couple of questions for you.

Recording a band today. However, for some reason I cannot get a signal to process in the 3rd and 4th inputs of my interface (a fastrack ultra).
Is this a new setup?
Did you ever get a signal into 3+4?
Assuming the answers are no and yes, the interface isn't broken, and the correct drivers are installed....do the following.

• Open Protools and go to Setup>Playback engine
  • Make sure that your maudio interface is selected, not aggregate device.
  • Go to Setup>I/O.
  • Click the input tab, select all paths and hit delete. ( don't panic. :p )
  • Once they're all gone, hit default and the paths will repopulate.

This removes the possibility of ProTools calling an old I/O layout from 'built-in audio', for example.

Also, for the 1st and 2nd input, the channel levels don't affect anything. For example, I have them turned all the way down (on the interface) but the signal still comes in way too hot.

Is it a case of the gain knobs not doing anything, or the source signal just being too loud.
By that I mean your signal is too loud with the gain at zero, but does it get even louder when you turn the gain up?
If so, you need to use a pad, pick a less sensitive mic, turn down the source, or move the mics further away from the source.

It is not a new setup, but I did break it down and rebuild it in a new room today. Yes, I used to get signals into the 3 and 4 spot, but haven't tried for a while, and I don't think the interface is broken, but I don't really know now haha.

I went to the I/O settings and delete them all, hit default and they all popped up again. However, same problem - no signal at all.

As far as the gain knobs go, they affect the signal after being turned past about 12 o clock, but even at zero the signal is overloaded. This isn't a huge issue because I was just going to mic farther away, but I thought I'd tag it on to this question. Thanks for your help by the way...

So any other ideas about the lack of signal going into 3 and 4?

I see there's a switch for each of the 4 inputs that says 'front/rear'.
Looks like if you push it to rear, the interface will look for input at the TRS sockets round the back. Any chance it's that simple?

As far as the gain knobs go, they affect the signal after being turned past about 12 o clock, but even at zero the signal is overloaded.
Whether this is a fault or just the norm requires your judgement.
Is the amp pretty loud? Does everything react normally with speech rather than the amp?

If normal speech @ 6" is overloading the unit with the gain at zero, something's wrong.

Also just opened up the Fastrack driver thing under system preferences and when I hit the 'Monitor 1/2" tab, it says that there is a signal (I can affect the faders/knobs etc) however when I go into the "monitor 3/4" tab everything is grayed out i.e. it doesn't even register that there IS a 3/4 input. Don't know if this is relevant or not....

Hmm. Strange enough one.
I don't know the maudio software to be honest, but reinstalling the drivers and rebooting couldn't hurt while I google. ;)

Alright just figured it out - apparently I just had to unplug it, turn it off, close down PT, the replug it back in and open it all up again. - Not really sure what happened but its working now. Thanks for your help Steen I really appreciate it!

Back