Need fast help with Tascam M-298 mixer

fred s.

edit: *M-208 made a typo in original post!

About to mix a song, 8 tracks...using reverb on vocals in the mix via effects send and return on mixer. It all sounds right in the headphones/monitors-but the effects don't actually make it through the mix on to tape just in monitor mode...wasted an entire good mixdown take because of this problem. :confused:

Anyone know how to fix this?

The effects returns go straight to the stereo buss on the M-200 series. You can't assign them to the program busses. So if you're using a pair of buss outs to feed the mixdown deck the effects won't be present. I like many things about the M-200 series mixers but this is not one of them. I modded mine with mini toggle switches so I can switch the effects returns to the program busses like the other channels.

I does sound like you have the mix down recorder connected to a sub group and not the main stereo outs.

Alan.

Yes i had the mix coming out of buss 1 and 2. Are the main L and R outs of this mixer the stereo out XLR jacks? My mixdown deck is RCA ins (Tascam 22-2)

Yes the XLR's are the Stereo Outs, L & R, but there is also a jack L & R out also just above the XLR's. I think from memory that the XLR's are +4 dB outs and the jacks are -10 dB outs, but I may be wrong. The XLR connectors are also pin 3 hot unlike later gear when the standard was made pin 2 hot.

But you should get away with a couple of Ring/Sleeve (mono) jack to RCA cables or a couple of RCA (female) to male jack adaptors (see pic below). If you need to use the XLR cables you need to make up cables with pin 3 of the XLR to the pin of the RCA and pin 1 of the XLR to shield and the shield connected to the ring of the RCA. Then connect pin 2 in the XLR to pin 1.

Alan.
images-1.jpeg

Back