Need a Drummer's Point of View

Dani Pace

I am a guitar player, and I think I've heard all the complaints, slurs, gripes and assorted nasty comments that other musicians can make towards drummers. I'd like to hear it from the drummers side. What do we other musicians do that annoys you guys most? I know sometimes we (other musicians) can be outright cruel, so here is your chance to tell us what you really think. I'm expecting some vengeance, but really hoping for some constructive criticism too.

Most of my gripes are with lead guitarists. The way they tend to overplay, play when the band is talking and how their master volume always seems to creep up over the course of a session.

hrmm i don't know how valid my points will be as I am both a guitarist and a drummer..

I agree with tripleJ with the overplaying,

when the guitarist says "let's keep things as simple as possible" then complains that the song sounds too boring...

all time worst is when they try to explain what kind of beat to play in the worst way.

"hey can you do a da, da, da, da, da boom thing.. you know what i mean.." (while flailling his arms in the air trying to air drum)

i dunno though it's a 2 way street.. drummer do alot to bug guitarist too.. i think everyone gets annoyed with everyone at some point

Bass players I've played with are (one or all of the below):
1. Never on time to practice...if they show at all
2. Stoned/drunk out of their brains once they get there
2. Guitarists who are temporarily playing bass....just like a lead guitar

Singers are always egocentric and vain...or really "deep" and horrible lyric writers....or both.

Guitars always think the song is about their guitar parts/solos. The volume creep drives me crazy. And enough with the fucking pedals already?!? How bout making the damn thing sound good clean?

A guitarist/singer is the worst combo...cause then the volume of the vox comes up too...in addition to the constant comments about other band members parts being too "complicated" or "loud" and thus detracting from the loud guitar and vocal parts and their "deep" message about whatever the singer is "going through" at that time......

DIALING IN THE PERFECT TONE AT EVERY FUCKING PRACTICE!!!! why can't a guitarist take the time to mess around with his pedal board on his own time and then SAVE the patch??? do we have to go through this every damn time?

singers: just try giving a shit about the band as a whole for a change instead of just you you you.

bassists: try being proactive and creative and writing your own parts. why does the guitar player always have to show you the root of every chord so you can "write" your part? jaco pastorius didn't have this problem, and neither should you!!! :p

hehe this is fun!!! :D:D:D

Thanks for the comments, I saw myself in a few of them. I've also felt the same way about other musicians on a number of occasions, maybe I'm a drummer at heart. I respect not only ability and skill, but opinions and concerns too. It sure would be nice if a few of those egotistical singers would shut up long enough to hear what some of the rest of us are saying and the pedal board freaks would leave their pedals at home. I've spent years trying to learn and understand music, now I'm finally trying to understand the people who make the music. Thanks again and keep the comments comming.

I'm a lead guitarist, but I keep my amp set up specifically and only ever turn my volume knob at the beginning of the session. Our rhythm guitarist on the other hand not only uses a solid state combo, but insists on setting his EQ up to achieve a sound he wants vs. one that will actually sit well with the bass and drums. This doesn't happen so he pushes that thing harder and harder as time goes on. ARGH!

My biggest gripe has got to be something everyone's been guilty of at one point.

Not communicating.

Why is it that I've been standing there with three-four other people, all staring at their feet, their respected instruments in hand, going "Duuuh...I've got no idea."

That's BULLSHIT. If you listen to music, have been writing and playing it for the past decade...you've got a damn good idea of what to try out.

Yeah, I recognise alot of them!

The air drumming one really gets me, cos often it's all floor tom and snare (think phil collins....:p)

I've learnt guitar/bass and drums are a way harder instrument and so drummers aren't 'dumb'

The over complicated bits come into it alot, not so sure about the loud ness, I can usually manage.

But yeah, our guitarist sets up his tone in the middle of songs, and even does it live!

Yeah I'm primarily a guitarist and any old fool can play bass. I play drums in a band though. I like the fact that I can do what they do but they can't do what I do. Gives me the upper hand. :)

Yeah I'm primarily a guitarist and any old fool can play bass. I play drums in a band though. I like the fact that I can do what they do but they can't do what I do. Gives me the upper hand. :)

Seconded. I'm the same, and I sing as well so even our singer has to tone down the ego a little bit :). And pretty soon I'll be handling the recording of our next demo. First the band, next...the world! Muahahahaha....ahem. Sorry :o

My biggest gripe lately is working with my old singer, who wants to do an acoustic set. I'm Ok with that, but he wants me to only use a 4 piece kit with a hi-hat, a ride, and one crash. He also wants everything super simple.

I feel like telling him "Ok, I'll do that, but how about if we also pick only 5-6 notes and you can make the melodies from only those notes and we'll take 3 strings off the guitars and two strings off the bass.".

But no, I'm supposed to be a professional, so I keep my mouth shut and do what the band wants.:mad:

Then when they leave I solo really fast in 7/8 time just to feel better.:)

Interesting thread!

I gig mainly as a drummer, but have also gigged as a keyboard player and a guitar player - so I feel empowered to bash just about everyone.

In General - All Musicians
1. No you don't play better when you're high/drunk!!
2. Yes - you are replacable...so lose the ego!!
3. No matter how good you think you are in your small circle of players...there are plenty of players who are better than you.
4. Showing up late.....is not only unprofessional....but is disrespectful to the people who do care enough to show up on time!

Guitarists
1. Taking forever to dial in a tone. Learn how to use your gear and get your sound.....quickly!
2. Playing too damn loud!
3. Playing half the riffs to each song before the song even starts.
4. Playing 64 bar solos (or longer) when the song only calls for 16 (or whatever). Learn how to make your statement...with the least notes!
5. Thinking they know how to play bass. It is not a guitar - learn how to hold down the bottom.
6. Guitarists that can't groove. Learn how to play sold rythem guitar...and then sit back and groove.

Vocalists
1. You are not God like......get over yourself!
2. Learn how to haul gear....you're part of the damn band
3. Chick singers..........oh hell no, waaaay to much drama!!!!

Bass Players
Note: Since there are only a couple of decent bass players in any given city...I am willing to put up with almost any crap from a bass player. Actually, bass players seem to have less baggage than most muscians

Keyboard Players
1. Just because you are playing an EbMaj9 - that doesn't mean the guitarist can't substitute a Gm (or whatever chord combination may apply) - chords are voiced diferently on each instrument
2. Just because you can get the most bizarre sounds - you don't need to use them)...maybe a solid Hammond sound is what's really needed

Drummers
1. No you don't need to play as loud as possible....a good technician can play fast without playing loud....and can play slow and groove
2. No you don't always need all 7 toms and 2 kicks. A good drummer can groove the hell out of a song with snare, kick and hat.
3. No you don't need to tune the snare between every damn song

Feel good about yourself there PhilGood, my singer wants to do an acoustic set, but guess what I'm left with:

Fuckin' BONGOS!!!! 2 fuckin' bongos.... I want to kill the whole band, wear their blood and burn their instruments and their bodies simultaneously... GAH!!!

Oh snap.....I almost forgot the totally sweet egg shaker I'm allowed to use too........pfffffffffffffffffft

This keeps getting better and better! I'm getting some valuable insight, and a few good laughs too. I've been down the shaker egg thing route too, our drummer politely suggested the singer might want to do the vocals via a long distance phone call, funny as it might seem, the singer thought it would be a cool effect! (Needless to say, that singer is no longer with us)

Back