Name that drum set -

moresound

Loud Sun Studios
Trying to remember that company name and the name of the drum set that came out in 70's - 80's that had a headless bottom that was scooped outwards as if you were looking at the bell of a saxophone. :confused:

There's a band that we split a bill with sometimes that uses those drums. Pointless, stupid, too long to set up, too big, and they don't really sound any different than regular drums. But they do look kinda neat.

20120407_192300.jpg

Last edited:
My mistake. The Thunderhorns are copies of the original North Drums. The pic above is the North.
I saw Alan White with Yes play these back in the 70's.

Thanks guys. Yeah that maybe where I had seen them too but the 70's are pretty much a blur for me. Along with seeing them occasionally from time to time through out the years at different gigs that is the only time I've seen them.
Never seen them in black Greg. Only seen them in white..

The original design were a company named "North" - they were a fad for aprt of the 80's when the single head sound was very popular. The concept was they could project louder.

I had a friend who bought a large set of North drums - candily, I did not find that they projected any louder or better than a traditional shell - and trying to find cases to transport them was a pian and an extra cost.

The fad did not last long at all - maybe a year or two.

You know my friend, Bob Sakamano? He plays those kinds of drums.

I was going to name those drums Jay Remenshneider (he eats horse meat, you know?), but I decided to dumb it down for the mass audience. :eek:

Back