myspace, smash!

starsxandxslits

i haven't posted in a relly long time...just searching, reading and practicing for the last year...anyway, this is my band, Horace Ate the Sun...check out the song Neptune. i know the limiting is a little agresssive for most audiophiles, but we learn as we go don't we. any hoo. give a shot and let me know what you think. the mix and the song!

http://www.myspace.com/horaceatethesun

i thought this was going to be a myspace hate song or a maybe an ode to the hulk to my dismay it was another moody alt rock band. i liked it though, i listened to both and it sounded pretty good. kinda lo fi but i think that might be because it's playing through myspace. a higher quality player would give a better depiction of the music. the vocals remind me of the guy from nada surf. the howling delayed guitar sets the mood and the drummer's damn good

i thought this was going to be a myspace hate song or a maybe an ode to the hulk to my dismay it was another moody alt rock band. i liked it though, i listened to both and it sounded pretty good. kinda lo fi but i think that might be because it's playing through myspace. a higher quality player would give a better depiction of the music. the vocals remind me of the guy from nada surf. the howling delayed guitar sets the mood and the drummer's damn good

thanks, that's me playing drums (thank god for us all that i play better than i record haha). i'm still kinda new to mixing...only been recording and mixing for a couple of months. i need a better room and monitors...i'm using crappy logitech pc speakers. i know there's some funky stuff going on from 100-400 or so...not much i can do except switch between all my other crappy playback devices (radio shack headphones, ipod buds, car, etc.) keep em coming guys! and thank you both for the feedback. and you are added lemon!

I thought it sounded great. I really like the kick sound, HUGE, I assume you've got a pretty nice sounding room to track in. The stereo buss might be compressed a little too much, but it's hard to say on myspace

Good Job!

yeah, i just tracked it in my neighbor's (bless his heart) living room live with guys in other room and amps and such isolated/bass di. some ok mic's, some not so ok pres, and some good luck. the huge kick sound came a good bit from the room mic which was consequently down the hallway set to hypercardiod...i just kinda goofed around with placement until i got the lobe on the rear to pick up a little of the drums direct and the larger portion of the sound from the slapping off the wall in the bathroom, which is wooden shelving everywhere with wood floors. a little eq at 50 and 5k fed into an ssl g series comp plug 4:1 just catching the transients enough to bring up the room with the attack set to let just a little bit of the smack thru. but you are definately right. there is way to much limiting. i had the compressor on the 2 bus set pretty moderate...2:1 30 ms, only about 3 db of reduction. but i just couldn't get the volume without it sounding like shit. mastering engineers are from another planet. if anyone wants to take a whack at mastering it, let me know. i can send files or whatever you want...a six pack. you name it.

Good recording skills in a good room and a little luck always kicks the shit out of any mixing someone will do. A lesson everyone learns the hard way it seems :)

Back