My Revenge on Jamal

Cool Chris, can't wait!

Nice to see the discussion has moved on. Mighty interesting to read your thoughts people!

but it's one of the coolest things about homerecording to me...to be able to do what you want (within reason).

That's so right...I'd even skip the 'within reason' bit. Do what you want, always, period! We're lucky to be homerecorders!

You know, recording (& playing) the same lead vocal twice is a kind of cheating/autotune avant la lettre too. The natural chorus effect makes it harder to recognize the pitch. Somehow I can't recall that I ever had a problem with that (I'm a huge 80's music fan). So perhaps I'll just have to get used to this new autotune effect...

Pedullist said:
You know, recording (& playing) the same lead vocal twice is a kind of cheating/autotune avant la lettre too. The natural chorus effect makes it harder to recognize the pitch. Somehow I can't recall that I ever had a problem with that (I'm a huge 80's music fan). So perhaps I'll just have to get used to this new autotune effect...

wrong..

manually doubling a vocal is not cheating at all.. It is hard to do, and takes a lot of time usually..

not that I think Auto Tune is cheating.. To each his own.. Plenty of people hate what I do..

B.SABBATH said:
I disagree holmes...

Quantize doesn't change the 'sound' of the drums, but Auto Tune changes the 'sound' of the voice..

Exactly...it actually seems to change the timbre and tone of the voice, aside from the sudden changes in pitch. It's that tone changing that bugs me most about it. It's not an issue of talent to me, like basically said before, make the music however you can.

I think Sam and Eric are both "correct," but on different levels.

But, but, but....Duran Duran's Simon LeBon isn't pitch perfect! (ever heard the guy sing live?) And he still sounds pretty good (well, in my ears) on the record. I bet the individual solo tracks don't sound half as OK. It's the power of doubling, baby! LOL :D

To make the AT work for me, I have to sing a little in front of the beat in those parts, and it sounds off w/o it.

That actually sounds like a hard thing to do! Wow!

B.SABBATH said:
wrong..

manually doubling a vocal is not cheating at all.. It is hard to do, and takes a lot of time usually..

not that I think Auto Tune is cheating.. To each his own.. Plenty of people hate what I do..

Agreed again. I have two or 3 heavier tunes where I doubled the vocals for more balls. It's a bitch for me because I struggle with pitch in the upper tenor range. So nailing it twice can be rough on my throat (and patience!). To call something that is this hard to really pull off "cheating" seems a little awkward to me.

Besides I really don't care about "cheating." Again...make the music however you can. But I don't consider AT cheating either. You're cheating yourself if you are trying to improve your pitch and using it, but that's another thing altogether. :)

I also realize this tune was done for fun. I haven't lost site of that Chris. Good job :)

Pedullist said:
But, but, but....Duran Duran's Simon LeBon isn't pitch perfect! (ever heard the guy sing live?) And he still sounds pretty good (well, in my ears) on the record. I bet the individual solo tracks don't sound half as OK. It's the power of doubling, baby! LOL :D

I actually like Duran Duran.. :)

He doesn't suck. If he did, he wouldn't be able to double his voice in key..

Many many Black Sabbath songs have doubled vocals, and as everbody already knows,

Ozzy rules!

Attachments

• o&t721bw.jpg
    o&t721bw.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 79
....:D...80fucking something replies long....and i wrote the song....

are you kidding me?!!?!?!?!?!

i FUCKING RULE.....LMAO...

just to chime in...auto tune sucks....(like chris said )..if you are off pitch to begin with...i tried a couple of times on really high parts where your voice is really wavering...and it sucked big timed...as an "effect " i think it has just as much of a place as "pitch shifted" vocals..or really anything...before cher i had never heard it ...neither had alot of people i guess and when i heard it the first time....i thought it was cool as hell.....would i make that my signature sound ??....well no....my signature sound is rooted firmly in being "off" tune...:D:D.....

carry on.
jamal

B.SABBATH said:
Quantize doesn't change the 'sound' of the drums, but Auto Tune changes the 'sound' of the voice..

if you want to change the sound of the drums then autotune them!

imo the intent of the two effects is similar.

'my timing is all over the place' no problem, just hit quantize.

'my pitch is all over the place' no problem, just hit autotune.

that's what i'm talking about. but i seem to see similarities a lot of places where other people don't so i'm not surprised to be carrying this torch alone.

i also think the end result of using each creates similar problems. in the case of quantizing, you make the rythm sound inhuman and stale. the same is true with AT. When you line up all of the overtones of the human voice perfectly it sounds weird, very unnatural and robotic. Each reduces the elements of what makes a performance 'human' resulting in a more machine like sound, which is exciting to some, strange to others.

erichenryus said:
i'm not surprised to be carrying this torch alone.
Hey man, I look for and embrace just about any opportunity to disagree with Sam, so don't think I'm making light of your argument...

I just have no idea what "quantize" is. Can I use it? Will it help me groove?...

B.SABBATH said:
wrong..

You got that right (the being hard to do part anyway – otherwise I’m staying neutral). I can’t double my voice worth a damn (and I’ve tried) so I don’t bother to try any more. Although, I just did a collab where I doubled a bg vocal and it came out pretty good. Hmmmmm….maybe I’ll have to try again some day :D

Geeezzzz….I just scrolled by those pictures at work. :eek:

Glad I had my monitor turned in so it was hard to see from outside my cube.

Plus it sent my pulse up a couple bpm ;)

Jamal Bucket said:
as an "effect " i think it has just as much of a place as "pitch shifted" vocals..or really anything...before cher i had never heard it ...neither had alot of people i guess and when i heard it the first time....i thought it was cool as hell....

"as an effect"

this sums up everything I think on the subject.. everything including how I loved it the first time I heard it and cher, has it's place, blah etc..

hope no one is pissed..

B.SABBATH said:
"as an effect"

this sums up everything I think on the subject.. everything including how I loved it the first time I heard it and cher, has it's place, blah etc..

hope no one is pissed..

naaa no ones pissed at least they THEY SHOULDNT BE????...just a discussion...i myself liek the fact that you sound completely different from and sluice sounds nothing like chris...and crawdad..well he just plain sucks...:D....i consider all you guys buddies so to get pissed well i havedone that already and MOVED ON PAST.....hopefully erichhenryandthem woont get fired...lol....

...shopping for a whammy pedal as i speak...

j

I deleted the pictures.. I don't want any one catching any grief.. Those who needed to see them saw them..

meanwhile,

(thats ozzy with the phones on)

Attachments

• band702.jpg
    band702.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 40
Back