My Revenge on Jamal

Hah--thats a great idea Kramer many thanks-I actually had a slim hope when I went to the history list-but the reply was empty--grrr--I can't tell you how many houre I've lost to cakewalk crashing cause I dont hit save occasionally-my own stupidity....

Nice tune Chris!
Sweet guitars.

Flange huh,I have to try that one.:D

I thought the Auto tune was cool,sounds good with a good voice!

Great job on a fine tune.

Thanks,
Pete

There used to be a guy around here called Chris Harris. He had like tons of posts. So who are you, NEWBIE? :D

chrisharris said:
ALL RIGHT!!!!

I see Sluice & W.I.S.C. are coming around. That's good to hear. Bashing Autotune is so "last month."...lol.

Sorry Chris, but it makes your excellent voice tone sound like a fucking sine. Annoying waste of a good voice, IMHO. I'm not bashing it for the sake of bashing it. And I don't care if you don't improve, and I don't care if AT is right or wrong or cool or uncool. Do what you want. It just sounds like shit to me here.

Most of your AT use I can swallow...this is maddening.

Good cover though. I don't want this to be construed as a flame. It's just feedback.

SLuiCe said:
I don't want this to be construed as a flame. It's just feedback.
No, fuck YOU!!!!
lmao.

My brother,

My friend,

Man, if I didn't make it clear, I appreciate the listen (really), and I sincerely understand and appreciate the opinion on the robot voice. The thing is, as much as you hate it, that's how much I like it, so we're talking about the purest form of an artistic difference. KICK ASS!!! I mean, at least we're not talking about the kick drum having no ass for once, lol.

No problems here, and certainly no reason for anybody to apologize for having an opinion...even me. I like it, you hate it, we'll live to listen to more tunes, Lol.

Thanks for everything,
Chris

Just wanna be sure...did I offend anyone with my post? Cuz I wanna be friends with y'all, just wanted to discuss the matter. I thought it could be interesting to know each other's opinion on it. Perhaps help me overcome my problems with it... :D

I like it, mouthwash effects and all. I listened to Jamal's version first for comparison. Cool tune, nice drive to it, first ten seconds made me think there was a Rush song I somehow have never heard. Moving on...

Chris, nice rendition. Guitar sound really works for me.

It's all good. I love music...if it sounds good, I don't care how it was made. AT is essentially an effect. Some effects sound good to me some don't. Stick a mic in a toilet bowl and sing to it for all I care. It may sound cool and I applaud the experimentation. You're a remarkably talented bullshit artist...I mean...artist. :D I personally would rather hear your natural voice out of tune, than tuned. Just my taste...as I read the other posts, most people like it more than those who do not. So I don't mean to sound like I'm judging you. Who the hell am I to judge.

Also, I don't know if I said this before, but Jamal, you write some kick-ass tunes dude. Great energy!

Peace, Chris.

Sorry...

Fuck you Chris. (Gotta remember to speak your language ;) )

:D

Sorry Chris, but it makes your excellent voice tone sound like a fucking sine. Annoying waste of a good voice, IMHO. I'm not bashing it for the sake of bashing it. And I don't care if you don't improve, and I don't care if AT is right or wrong or cool or uncool. Do what you want. It just sounds like shit to me here.

I couldnt disagree more.

I think it actually MAKES this song work.
I am the biggest opponent the autotune has ever known,(when used by those who rely on it because they cant sing),but it works just fine in certain situations.This song IS one of those situations that it works perfectly in.We all know Chris can sing to start with.....I dont think the hook of the chorus would be as addictive as it is on this tune if the autotune wasnt used in the manner that it was.

I dig the shit out of it.

SLuiCe said:

I couldn't agree more.

I think it actually hurts the song. I think the hook of the chorus would be better without it sounding like Cher.

I hate the sound of it.

Other than that, really great cover!

SLuiCe said:
Stick a mic in a toilet bowl and sing to it for all I care.
:D

You know, it actually sounds like Chris did that on this song! With his head in the bowl, that is... LOL :D

B.SABBATH said:
I couldn't agree more.

I think it actually hurts the song. I think the hook of the chorus would be better without it sounding like Cher.

I hate the sound of it.

Other than that, really great cover!

Fuck you sam!:D

Kramer said:

I am the biggest opponent the autotune has ever known,(when used by those who rely on it because they cant sing)

i still don't see why people get all bent on that point. to me it's the same thing as using quantize for those who can't keep time. i agree that it's much better to just work out your pitch problems naturally just like it's better to work out your rythm problems naturally. it's just that 'pitch aid' is a newer option than 'rythm aid' so it's less accepted as a common practice imo.

i do think in this context it makes chris' voice sound worse though. i'd like to hear a version without it all together.

still a great song jamal.

still a cool vocal break chris 'numbfinger' harris.

:):):)

and the best part about this thread is that everyone is disagreeing! i'm getting sick of everyone always saying how much everything sounds 'radio ready' and everything is the greatest thing they've ever heard, etc. etc. etc.

erichenryus said:
i still don't see why people get all bent on that point. to me it's the same thing as using quantize for those who can't keep time. i agree that it's much better to just work out your pitch problems naturally just like it's better to work out your rythm problems naturally. it's just that 'pitch aid' is a newer option than 'rythm aid' so it's less accepted as a common practice imo.

i do think in this context it makes chris' voice sound worse though. i'd like to hear a version without it all together.

That is still a bad analogy.. quantize is not an effect.. You don't necessarily hear when something is quantized.. only if it's off.. The auto tune effects the natural sound of his voice and makes it sound like everyone else who uses it.. Something quantized will never be played out.. When they make auto tune where it's inaudible, all these songs on the radio that over used it will seem like more cheese than they already do.. Kinda like antiquated synth sounds.. Although I do love vintage synth sounds myself, you get the point..

The quantize/auto tune comparison is not a good one..

BTW chris, pretty nice sounding mix except the part around 2:20.. the high hat seems to annoy me in that part.. I think it is a bit too crisp/sharp there.. (just the hat in that part imop)

erichenryus said:
and the best part about this thread is that everyone is disagreeing! i'm getting sick of everyone always saying how much everything sounds 'radio ready' and everything is the greatest thing they've ever heard, etc. etc. etc.
LOL...you haven't read many of my threads, have you? :D :D

Guys, don't get me wrong. If the President of Sony Records came to me and said, "Hey, great song...I'd release it if it weren't for the autotune," you'd see the fastest remix in the history of homerecording, lmao. I'm not some kind of martyr for my "art," lol. I mean, I do hope that Tom recognizes that I'm all for getting the vocal right from the start...in fact, if you DON'T get it right, and then use autotune, it really DOES sound like shit to my ears. But when it makes that instant pitch change, I dunno', I like it. Some people use pitch shifters/harmonizers for vocal and/or guitar parts (Of course, the original has to be in tune too for it to work), and I really don't like the sound of "fake" harmonies, but it's one of the coolest things about homerecording to me...to be able to do what you want (within reason).

Then main thing to me is that everyone seems to have picked up on the fact that this is a cool song...the heart of the matter, really...and I respectfully reserve the right to fuck it up in any way I so choose, lol... but if Jamal didn't like the autotune sound, trust me, it'd be gone. I've never disagreed with Sam on anything in the past :-)D), but I'm in Kramer's camp on this one ...

There's really nothing to argue about. I mean, if I'd overcompressed the guitars and Tom told me so, I think he knows that there'd be a new version up in about :20 minutes. (In fact, it was erichenryus' comments that encouraged me to kill the sawtooth vibrato...I mean, shit...if you think THIS sounds sine-like ...lol.) I knew I'd catch grief for the effect, and it's fine because I know that those of you who truly hate the sound wouldn't just SAY that to get under my skin... You hate it. I understand, and I respect that, and it's not my goal to convert anybody, lol. I probably should have posted a clean version so I could get some other mix comments, but it's incredibly hard for me to do 2 versions because of the timing involved. To make the AT work for me, I have to sing a little in front of the beat in those parts, and it sounds off w/o it.

Anyway, I hope all of you know that I don't think I'm above criticism...far from it. The "Newbie" under my name is there for a reason. Some things are just preferential, and you're not gonna' change my mind about it any more than I'm gonna' change yours, :D :D.

It's a cool song that Jamal wrote, and you guys are tops for caring enough to argue, LOL.

Sincere thanks,
Chris

B.SABBATH said:
You don't necessarily hear when something is quantized..

I do! I don't know a drummer alive that strikes the hihat perfectly on the beat to the nanosecond every quarter note throughout the whole song!

The cher effect is very similar to me, just applied to a different dimension. Vocal chords just can't move between pitches as fast as autotune forces it to happen, and sustaining a pitch within a nanocent for any given amount of time just doesn't happen in the real world.

Autotune is to pitch what Quantize is to rythm.

B.SABBATH said:

BTW chris, pretty nice sounding mix except the part around 2:20.. the high hat seems to annoy me in that part.. I think it is a bit too crisp/sharp there.. (just the hat in that part imop)
LOL...THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!!

We posted at the same time.

It's the open hat, right? It was annoying me too...I just cut it at 10K. Thank you.

The good thing here is that your not offended by opinions. I don't think anyone has challenged your talent.

erichenryus said:
Autotune is to pitch what Quantize is to rythm.

I disagree holmes...

Quantize doesn't change the 'sound' of the drums, but Auto Tune changes the 'sound' of the voice..

A snare drum sound will still be the same when quantized..

Vocals will change when auto tuned..

chris, yeah it was just in that one part.. the mix is solid otherwise..

Back