My Little Box of Wires

TripleM

Here is a mix of an old song. New guitars and new bass parts. Remixed from scratch. And it's very old. Most of you probably haven't heard it and those that have probably don't remember it.

Anyway, please let me know what you think.

Mix #1

Mix #2

Last edited:
I would put the main vox a little bit in front of back vocals and other music. And a little louder.
Otherwise i like it.

Sounds like the mix was done by the guitar player. I would suggest pushing all the guitars back just a bit and see where that gets you with the balance of the other tracks. If not, then def bring the lead vocal up.

Catchy song. It'll probably get stuck in my noggin for the rest of the night. (That's a good thing.)

Oh, I couldn't understand most of the lyrics, but you wouldn't happen to be referring to the marriage comedy thing; women are wired differently...

Slow process of downloading...
Pull everything but the vocals back a tiny bit OT push the vocals up a tiny bit.
Take a little of the harshness from the hardpanned guitars.
Cool but the solos are a little rough around the edges.
Power pop new wave goodness.

This almost sounds as if you're pushing the Master too hard?

I agree with all the above. The guitars are a little over powering for the track and bury the vocals a bit. The drums sound 'pounding' (for want of a better word) to me, especially the Toms. Bring the guitars, drums and bass back a bit and it should all start to shine through, IMO.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the track. Great lyrics, vocals and harmonies. I liked the solo's. :thumbs up:

Vocals were clear, but could stand to be a little louder. I agree with the C man, sounds a little "pushed". Could be intended.

Everything else seemed to sound in place to me.

Cool tune! Very catchy, relevant and easy to relate to. I really like the bridge. Effective use of background vocals throughout. Very effective.

I would make some (potentially subjective) adjustments based on how it is coming across my desk. As usual, it could simply come down to translation and how my ears/monitors are putting it across to me, but the following is what my environment is saying to me...

Some subtle cuts in the 350 - 400 Hz range in the guitars and drums will help to open this mix up a bit more. On my first listen I felt like the vocals were too low, but after a few more listens I came to the conclusion that they are not. Rather, the guitars are too hot. I wouldn't just pull the guitars down across the board however, I'd go section by section and automate them to unmask the vocals. After going though this exercise, the vocals might benefit from being pushed up a dB or two, but that's something that can be decided later.

Very nice job on this tune. Really enjoyed taking a few listens through it.

Like everyone said, I would bring up the lead vocals up a little. LOVE the guitar sound, the intro really bites (good "bites", not "bites"). Nice organic room sound on the drums, but they might be a little boxy. They sound really well captured, though.

Other than that, very cool tune and recording.

Sorry, today was busier than anticipated. Can't respond to everyone individually. I'll pull the guitars back a bit and repost as soon as I can.

kindafishy - I was playing around with cuts in the guitar near where you were talking about and a bit on either side of it. It caused the guitars to get kind of scratchy and lose a bit of power. So I took the cut out.

RAMI - on the slight boxiness of the drums, I'll listen with that in mind.

Everyone - I get ya on the guitar level. Don't hear it myself, but then I know every word to the song. So a masked vocal is something I could easily miss.

Again thanks to everyone.

OK mix #2 at the top.

I took the guitar down a bit. Just a db and a half. Seemed to do the trick. But it made me think the bass and kick were too loud so I took them down by about the same amount.

I removed a little in the overheads at 1K per RAMI's comment about the boxy drums. The change is a bit subtle. I *think* I like it, but I probably should listen again tomorrow.

I removed a little in the overheads at 1K per RAMI's comment about the boxy drums. The change is a bit subtle. I *think* I like it, but I probably should listen again tomorrow.

I can't listen at the moment. But, going on memory, I think the cut might of should of been lower, like around the 300-500hz area. But don't quote me on that.

I'll give it a listen later tonight.

Mix Two...
Better. The bass guitar could use a little definition but is OK as is.
Can you being the kick drum up a little?
I still think there are some uncertain moments in the lead guitar that doesn't let it have the confidence and exuberance of the rest of the track but that's probably just me.
This track would have fitted in well on the 5 Live Stiffs album.

Here is a mix of an old song. New guitars and new bass parts. Remixed from scratch. And it's very old. Most of you probably haven't heard it and those that have probably don't remember it.

Anyway, please let me know what you think.

Mix2: Through monitors, it sounds fine. Through cans, it sounds bright. So I listen through the monitors. :listeningmusic:

This is really good triple. Great performance, great vox and writing. Not sure if its what you were going for but it has a really cool retro rock sound. I think there is something off a little with the drum sound. Probably what RAMI already mentioned, but to me it sounds like the drums are a little squished frequency wise, but just a personal pref. Regardless great job.

rayc - thanks for the input. I'll listen to the bass guitar and see if I get the same impression. I turned down the kick in mix 2 because I thought it was too loud. I sort of like it where it is.

dobro - thank you for the listen. What's making it bright for you? Cymbals? Guitar? Other? Just curious.

Bruthish - thanks for your time an comments.

RAMI - yeah I'm completely insane. Curious on your impressions once you get a few minutes to listen. I was doing cartwheels down the hall when you said you loved the guitars BTW.

Mix 2: At 0:14,1:15, 2:15 I think that could come down a hair, rhythm sound really good and could come up two hairs. (We are talking very subtle)

Vocals sit nice, they are not up front, but for this tune that seems to fit.

That is about all I have, I think this version sounds really clean and well mixed. It is a good tune.

dobro - thank you for the listen. What's making it bright for you? Cymbals? Guitar? Other? Just curious.

Guitars more than cymbals. If the guitars were less bright, the cymbals could as well.

Now, what exactly might a box of wires be, I wonder? What color are the wires?

DM60 - thanks for the listens.

dobro - I'll play around some of the higher end of the guitars and see what it sounds like. A "box of wires" refers to a cell phone. The song is just about people being so attached to their phones and not paying attention to things around them.. as in the line "I'm all set to go ignore the outside world."

Back