Solaris song/mix/Video thoughts

packrobottom

Last edited:
The song really screams out for more lyrics and vocals. After the opening 30 seconds, I was ready for some powerful words, but ... no. Keep going, and finally you hit the middle segment and get a nice bit of vocal, but then that's it. You've got a good vibe going. It's a good starting point. Keep at it.

Sounds OK to me. It's a little tough to comment without vocals. But without vocals, it sounds good.

The bass is just a bit sterile and forward in the mix. But just a bit.

Great bed to play in. Really looking forward to hear where this goes.. I believe this a good one for some real energetic vocals. Not sure about the strange timing from 2:50 to 3:04. ?? Nice guitar work . Enjoyed it .. mark

Now you're getting there ! Didn't hear the issue I had with the timing around 2:50. Maybe it worked with the vocals this time around. I do think your Vox needs to be boosted from the beginning up to the lead break. The high chorus section was Awesome ! Lots of cool stuff in this. Loved it .. mark

Now you're getting there ! Didn't hear the issue I had with the timing around 2:50. Maybe it worked with the vocals this time around. I do think your Vox needs to be boosted from the beginning up to the lead break. The high chorus section was Awesome ! Lots of cool stuff in this. Loved it .. mark
Thx mark i agree initial vocals could come up especially after the drums enter

Thanks Mark i raised the vocals and added some harmonies going to replace drums with real drums and call this one done

The song really screams out for more lyrics and vocals. After the opening 30 seconds, I was ready for some powerful words, but ... no. Keep going, and finally you hit the middle segment and get a nice bit of vocal, but then that's it. You've got a good vibe going. It's a good starting point. Keep at it.
Gotta agree. Two minutes in and nothing is happening. The sounds are all good, but they're like a bed - and 2 minutes is pretty long to listen to a bed. And the vocals are nice once they arrive.

All in all a very nice listen. Mix is good. Gotta chop that intro though - a lot. Maybe the outro too.

Gotta agree. Two minutes in and nothing is happening. The sounds are all good, but they're like a bed - and 2 minutes is pretty long to listen to a bed. And the vocals are nice once they arrive.

All in all a very nice listen. Mix is good. Gotta chop that intro though - a lot. Maybe the outro too.
his comment was actually before I added vocals I just updated same link with current mix. That being said I understand some people won't have the attention span for this song. It's intentionally long and soundtrackish

Giving a listen to the new version, I agree with Dacay2tnr that 2 minutes is still too long for the intro. A vocal could easily drop in around the 1 or 1:26 minute mark. You've set the tone. I don't think it's a attention span thing, it's an "expectation" that doesn't get fulfilled. An example would be Us and The by Pink Floyd. The intro is a full minute and a half.. the first part sets the soft mood, the sax comes in and holds interest, then the vocal comes in to complete the cycle.

Now for the mix... the distorted guitars are a somewhat harsh, and too prominent. They could be dialed back several dB and softened a bit and still have the attack and punch that you want. The vocals come off way too low in the mix. The vocal could match up well with the clean guitar part that follows if the levels were similar. Bring the vocal up, people actually like to hear what you have to say, your story, but they aren't going to dig for it. The low level and thick reverb makes the words almost unintelligible.

At 3:45, you have the SOLARIS vocal. Nice, but it gets buried by the guitars again. They are too loud and bright for my taste.

The basic ideas are good, I think it just needs refinement.

updated mix. I brought the guitars on the chromatic chorus part down about 2 db they are meant to be jarring and prominent but maybe were a bit much. The vocal style is an intentional dream pop vibe I'm fine with them being slightly buried in this song.

were you listening to the wav? I updated that mp3 with the latest mix
I don't know what you're listening on but they are clear enough to understand here on my monitors and in my car.

Last edited:
I played the MP3 version. I listened on both headphones (Sony 7506s) and a pair of JBL 305 monitors. It just seems there's too much going on at once. The guitars step on the vocals more than I would like.

Just my opinion, but you asked....

Back