My first "professional" (I hope?) mixing effort

Mistral

RyosaMusic
I have just finished mixing an EP of 6 songs for a Norwegian metal band called Enslavement of Beauty. The track "Lush" is in the flash player here: http://www.voxhouse.net/

It is my first effort in 6 years to mix an album for another band and I hope to start taking a lot of other mixing jobs. I'd appreciate any feedback you might have. :)

I think it is a balanced mix but is lacking low end. May be as simple as just a low shelf eq. Getting the right amount of bass eq is always a pain imho.

You certainly did a credible job on the tune I listened to.

ac

Cool. Not lacking too much I hope?

The biggest danger of putting a lot of low end in a style like this is, there is so much going on with the instrumentation I feel it risks muddying it up.

The thing that works for you on this is that most people crank up the bass on their systems, in which case your "well defined" mix will sound great.

If you haven't done this already, buy as many bass traps as you can afford for your mixdown area. GIC acoustics sells them cheap and will design their placement for you. All it takes is one room resonance to give you a completely false picture of your mix in the bass. I have 13 of them in my recording area and it has helped more than any other single improvement to my setup.

ac

The thing that works for you on this is that most people crank up the bass on their systems, in which case your "well defined" mix will sound great.

If you haven't done this already, buy as many bass traps as you can afford for your mixdown area. GIC acoustics sells them cheap and will design their placement for you. All it takes is one room resonance to give you a completely false picture of your mix in the bass. I have 13 of them in my recording area and it has helped more than any other single improvement to my setup.

ac
The aforementioned cd was mixed in an apartment that I just moved out of, the room was not treated at all. I just bought a house for the explicit purpose of building a studio so I am gonna set up the control room with as proper acoustics as possible. In any case I am sure your assessment is absolutely correct.

Back