My first dance track

It kind of takes a while to get started. This turns a lot of people off (especially if it's dance music). It's not bad, but it sounds kind of empty. Like you need more parts going on. Just experiment with throwing random snare sounds on it, different synth pads droning in the background, reverse cymbals. You know, crap like that.

would like to see what you guys think of this. After one too many nights on the town in the UK listening to the likes of Tiesto, Swedish House Mafia, PvD and all those millions of other similar acts, thought id give it a go, using Cubase, and a couple of free plugins. Enojy......maybe!

http://soundcloud.com/homenoiserecords/spherical-by-home-noise-djs

you've got the structure and a melody there you have to build on it...when you hear tunes by the guys you named you'll hear maybe four or five layers plus drums but if you saw their tracking for a song there are more than liking 30 or forty tracks...

for example a basslines should generally have a main bass...a grittier bass on top, and a sub underneath...its common to have two or three kicks..each EQd to cover the frequency spectrum with slightly different timbres....

you've got a sketch here so to start with take one of the synth parts and play the exact same part with the same synth but an octave down and detune it a few cents and you'll suddenly fatten up that whole synth...the difficult part of minimal electronic music is making simple stuff sound interesting

keep at it mate :)

Overall, I like it, but the intro almost turned me off of it.

There's just nothing going on for the first 12 or so seconds (I've got a short attention span, what of it? I'm representative of your fan base. :D)

The ending does the same sort of thing, though not as badly.

Right at the end, there's a pretty audible clip when the instruments drop out.

for example a basslines should generally have a main bass...a grittier bass on top, and a sub underneath...its common to have two or three kicks..each EQd to cover the frequency spectrum with slightly different timbres....

you've got a sketch here so to start with take one of the synth parts and play the exact same part with the same synth but an octave down and detune it a few cents and you'll suddenly fatten up that whole synth...the difficult part of minimal electronic music is making simple stuff sound interesting

keep at it mate :)

thanks dude, had an idea but didnt realise it was a major part

thanks dude, had an idea but didnt realise it was a major part

sometimes its so subtle your brain probably doesnt even register it....remember when fading synths out sometimes a little automated delay makes the transitions smoother as well...:)

EDIT: saying all this i just posted a monstrosity that id have a few of problems with if it wasnt mine lol, sometimes its easier to listen and critique other peoples music

Back