A plan and understanding...

mmonline

I rediscovered this forum yesterday - after signing up last year. See question on Newbies about clicks and pops.. ;)

I've been writing songs for years - put off pursuing it while consulting, having kids, etc. A couple years ago my oldest kids kept urging me to get my music "out there."

Last year I started playing out a little - writing a lot more - and starting to record at home. I ended up getting hired at a few places - playing originals and "covers so obscure you'll think their originals" - which was great.

I work out of my house as a consultant (technology, business, marketing) and as a writer. I have one book (with a contract for another), many many articles, write corporate pieces/collateral, etc.).

This December I sat down and thought about my goals - music, writing, etc. I identified 9 deliverable/achievables. I then looked at the time needed to achieve my goals and I excluded all but 3 items.

1) Mailing List;
2) Venues (direct contact);
3) Merchandise;

My list of deliverables is now up to 12 but all are excluded while I pursue the three items above.

I actively build my mailing list and put out 2 full newsletter's each month and then performance updates prior to playing.

I contact several venues each week - specifically targeting listening rooms, wine bars, coffeehouses, etc. - with the goal of paid gigs and opportunity for listenership. When it comes to original music, being background noise at a restaurant/bar is difficult - people want tunes they know and while I can make money doing that - it does not work to my goal so I don't.

I also have as a goal getting people to my website - myspace is largely irrelevant and noisy. I have a profile but even there the goal is to push people to my site, not to get a bunch of "friends".

The result of having a plan of action has been amazing - particularly in regards to venues. I pursue it like a business - contacting them (on the phone), finding out what type of demographic, what they need to book me (electronic or printed materials & music), and what days/nights are best for original music.

I then get them their info, follow up, send thank you notes, etc. I've been booked for - and re-booked at several venues.

In any case, I just offer this out there. I don't make a "ton" of money - but I do get paid, sell some CD's, and am now re-recording with a more full-production several of my songs. Also, while I am very very very impatient - when I consider the contacts and results in just 3 months of focused marketing, I am extremely happy.

I've since connected with a few other performers who have similar strategies and focus and we trade ideas back and forth - forming a virtual team of advisers. I would recommend this as well.

Some good info on the "new music business" is Andrew Dubber's New Music Strategies website...

Start with his 5 Myspace mistakes...

Oh, I cannot post a link until I've posted more. Just google "New Music Strategies" and you will find his site and the 5 myspace mistakes.

Then download his free e-book - it is a good starting point.

The result of having a plan of action has been amazing - particularly in regards to venues. I pursue it like a business - contacting them (on the phone), finding out what type of demographic, what they need to book me (electronic or printed materials & music), and what days/nights are best for original music.

This is a part of the music creation process that is often neglected, and I commend you for bringing this to our attention and highlighting its value.

Your business expertise serves you well here (even though I balk at the use of business-speak words such as 'deliverables').

One of the difficulties is that many musically creative people don't have a lot of business sense. If they are wise, they will recognise this and engage a manager who can attend to the marketing and administration of their musical efforts. If they are not wise, they willl continue to churn out good music to no avail, and wonder why the world treats them unfairly.

The message for me is that if you are doing something you believe in, and you seek wider public acclaim or commercial success, then you have to pursue that activity as vigorously as you pursue the art of making music itself.

I've written in my career blog about creativity and business - and the sometimes apparent dilemma..

However, one thing I will say.. I understand the pull to the "creative" element of what I do very strongly. To combat this, I have to maintain a fairly strict schedule at time - or nothing gets done.

I would love to have the financial means to hire a team - manager, publicist, booking agent, etc. - and maybe, with focus, talent, luck, hard work, I can get there. Until then... well, you are looking at him.

That's okay, good skills to know.

I think there is an unspoken fear that looking at your creativity and passion as a business - or with a business mind - detracts from it's honesty.

I think, generally, many artist (in various media - music, painting) do not perceive their work with a monetary value - or are afraid to do so. I know that I often struggle with the idea that when I built a business application, I could tie a dollar amount to productivity gains and other hard tangibles. Music is less like that.

Back