My Corona

Status
Not open for further replies.
You still in the home heating oil business?

LOL I live in left field California..home heating oil? That's a thing in 2021? So I googled it and I guess it is definitely a thing albeit a shrinking thing...Being in construction in Cali for 20 adult years and then getting onto national building product sales the last 20 I marvel at how things change geographically...from how the homes are built to how they finish them and then the fuels they use to energize them..

So it appears this home heating oil is a northeastern thing...

9_25_14_Bobby_EIA-EnergyTypeMap-take2_(1)_500_355_s_c1_c_c.png

So it appears this home heating oil is a northeastern thing...
Pretty much, yup. Been my living for 35 years now. Started as a delivery driver in 1986. Moved to another company as dispatcher in 1989. Started my/our own biz with two co-workers in 1995. Two of us bought the other out in 2004 and my continuing partner retired in 2016. I'll be paying him off for a few years still. I have kept my license active all along and most days you will find me in a truck bringing the heat.

Yeah, don't see it much in my neck of the woods anymore. From what I understand it can get expensive. I've been around it as a kid, friend's houses, and had it in an old place I rented while in college. It is good warm heat, toasty warm. On a really cold day I believe i'd actually prefer it over heat pump.

Dated a bit older gal back when I was a teenager who had it. Was kinda weird how she had to ration until she got the coin for the oil guy to come add some to the tank. Sometimes you just gotta wrap up or find other ways to stay warm, I reckon. Broke, but happy.

It didn't though. You have a comprehension problem.

No? There were no contradictions in Fauci's statements about AIDS? I said contradiction, but let's say we go with your "evolve".

ibleedburgundy said:
Let's say his opinion on AIDS evolved over time in the early 1980s as the science was still making discoveries. So what?

One of these things isn't the same and appears to contradict the other. Oh, I comprehend quite well. You have a consistency problem.

Hey, did you hear about the latest one? Remember when Fauci said wearing 2 masks is just "common sense" and is likely more effective than one mask? Yep, you guessed it, his opinion evolved.

Fauci, "There are many people who feel, you know, if you really wanna have a little layer of uh extra protection, there's nothing wrong with that, but there's no data that indicates that that is going to make a difference, and that is why the CDC hasn't changed the recommendation."

Yeah yeah, I know, there is no contradiction. He was just offering clarification that his previous "common sense" statement was bullshit and isn't supported by data or the CDC. Yet, or maybe never, or something. And, of course, Fact Checkers determine no contradiction.

Sheesh, when has this guy not (not!) contradicted himself? You beltway boys are something. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Pretty much, yup. Been my living for 35 years now. Started as a delivery driver in 1986. Moved to another company as dispatcher in 1989. Started my/our own biz with two co-workers in 1995. Two of us bought the other out in 2004 and my continuing partner retired in 2016. I'll be paying him off for a few years still. I have kept my license active all along and most days you will find me in a truck bringing the heat.

So basically you have a gig that lets you make a decent living where you actually only have to work about 9 months out of the year. I knew there had to b an underlying reason why I hated you :D That's just an assumption being as I am not familiar with the system or how many months of the year you northeasters actually need heat. For sure here in Cali that heater ( at least for us ) rarely if ever goes on at night and only for an hour or so most winter mornings...It definitely gets a good 5 or 6 months of never being turned on. Informative AND Interesting....Cheech and Chong video to follow...

A little levity ( talcum powder) for the red rashness going on

I loved these guys..... I did phone "key" systems for a short stint at Burbank Studios back in late 82.
I put some phones in their offices when no one was there and took of few tokes of the kind in their honor :eek:

Also installed lines and connectors in Spielberg's office while he was there eating lunch by himself! It was a pretty fancy ass lunch. Working at the studios was a fun experience. In one single day I'd see more famous people walking around than I had seen in my whole life living in LA.

I loved these guys..... I did phone "key" systems for a short stint at Burbank Studios back in late 82.
I put some phones in their offices when no one was there and took of few tokes of the kind in their honor :eek:

Also installed lines and connectors in Spielberg's office while he was there eating lunch by himself! It was a pretty fancy ass lunch. Working at the studios was a fun experience. In one single day I'd see more famous people walking around than I had seen in my whole life living in LA.

Wow.....you and I might have met sometime in the past. I lived in LA in the 70's and 80's and worked for a tech company as a copier tech. That's how I learned electronics. Anyway....I was the area service tech for the Burbank area and the area around. I remember servicing those studios in the area. I had Disney....Universal and Warner Brothers. Met a quite a few celebs there. That whole area was so cool at the time. One time I got a call to fix a copier in a producers home office. He broke out the weed as soon as I got in the door. His stories and pics were epic.

Just ramblin'.

Mick

Reactions: TAE
No? There were no contradictions in Fauci's statements about AIDS? I said contradiction, but let's say we go with your "evolve".

One of these things isn't the same and appears to contradict the other. Oh, I comprehend quite well. You have a consistency problem.

Hey, did you hear about the latest one? Remember when Fauci said wearing 2 masks is just "common sense" and is likely more effective than one mask? Yep, you guessed it, his opinion evolved.

Fauci, "There are many people who feel, you know, if you really wanna have a little layer of uh extra protection, there's nothing wrong with that, but there's no data that indicates that that is going to make a difference, and that is why the CDC hasn't changed the recommendation."

Yeah yeah, I know, there is no contradiction. He was just offering clarification that his previous "common sense" statement was bullshit and isn't supported by data or the CDC. Yet, or maybe never, or something. And, of course, Fact Checkers determine no contradiction.

Sheesh, when has this guy not (not!) contradicted himself? You beltway boys are something. :facepalm:

You're a Republican, and Republicans don't like science.

You lack the discipline to hear outcomes that don't go along with your partisan preconceptions. Such outcomes strike you as unpleasant. That is understandable. And all these scientific discoveries are hard to keep up with! Why can't scientists just start out knowing the entire truth, and never change - like Religion? It's so much more comforting to just stick to the same beliefs, regardless of the evidence. New information is so tiresome. The old information was just fine!

Tell you what, let's slander the next person who tries to give us new information. That'll show 'em!

Republicans don't like science.
Dude that is such a ridiculously stereotypical prejudicial statement. All Democrats, All Republicans, All Humans are "individuals" with each one of them having their own unique and very limited world view.

Howsabout we just chill with the blame game here and as we move forward try and stay relevant to the subject and whatever fosters all of us getting through this clusterfuck alive. That seems like a reasonable way to proceed here.. Just my perspective and a I realize it's a free for all atmosphere here..

You're a Republican, and Republicans don't like science.

You lack the discipline to hear outcomes that don't go along with your partisan preconceptions. Such outcomes strike you as unpleasant. That is understandable. And all these scientific discoveries are hard to keep up with! Why can't scientists just start out knowing the entire truth, and never change - like Religion? It's so much more comforting to just stick to the same beliefs, regardless of the evidence. New information is so tiresome. The old information was just fine!

Tell you what, let's slander the next person who tries to give us new information. That'll show 'em!

Yeah, it wouldn't be good to go slandering anyone, would it?

Let's try this: From what I understand Biden just signed something that deals with male to female transsexuals must be allowed to compete in biological female sports. Science dictates, muscle mass, bone density, etc, this creates a clear disadvantage to biological (from birth) females. Even with hormone therapy, male to female transsexuals are not females. Things can get ugly quickly, females are going to get hurt, as well as miss out on college scholarships and such. Biden and Democrats don't care. The feel goods are more important than the science. Democrats don't like science.

Words have meaning. When I am in an authoritative position, or a position to provide guidance, I feel a responsibility to choose my words carefully. If I offer guidance, and I tell someone "it's just common sense" to do this or that, it leaves the person to which I am providing guidance with the belief that if they did not follow my direction they are stupid, or lack sense that is common to all but those who fail to do as I have directed. If the person to whom I am providing guidance comes to me a week later and is doing as I have directed, and I then say there is no empirical evidence that what you are doing is of true purpose, what then? Naturally it calls into question the value of my authoritative opinion. It is almost insulting to the person who had faith in me. It suggests it is more important to me to hear the sound of my own voice than to respect and value the responsibility to provide guidance. If the advice I am providing could result in injury or cause medical complications, the ramifications could be much worse than bad feels.

Dude, is it possible that we could communicate without the partisan sniping and political talking points? I am a person, a citizen that is subject to all of the same directives and mandates, and even the possibility that I could perhaps get The Covit! If I call into question someone of authority who it would appear on numerous occasions and within a short amount of time calls into question statements he has made, I would tend to believe a healthy amount of skepticism is warranted. Especially true when political sniping and political talking points are so prevalent in....everything.

I'm sure there is plenty of blame or shared responsibility for everything is politics, but if I may an anecdote. Back in 2016 my grade school granddaughter was visiting my home. A 3rd grade child. She said, "Papa, i'm scared." I asked her why she was scared. She said, "I'm afraid if Donald Trump is going to be President he is going to make all the black people go back to Africa." I attempted to offer respite from her fear and assured her that was not going to happen. I also asked her who told her that. She said, "My teacher." A 3rd grader, a child, a child who is not her own told such a thing by her batshit crazy "teacher". The teacher was either intentionally lying, or was totally ignorant of The Constitution of the United States of America.

And it has only gotten worse. So, sure, have at it if you wish. Republicans don't like science. But why stop there, you can do better than that. Get with the program, "Republicans don't like science" is sooo 2009.

So basically you have a gig that lets you make a decent living where you actually only have to work about 9 months out of the year.
Yeah that would be a good gig. We slow down - a lot - but there is still demand. Oil-fired water heaters, people buying ahead of the season, people topping off after the heating season, diesel fuel for contractors & etc... Actual heating system use runs from September thru April but there are other things to do. Yard and building maintenance keeps us busy and the trucks themselves are a major time consumer; cleaning, scraping, sanding and painting. Fixing all the little shit that we don't have to send em to the shop for. May thru August is also when everyone takes their vacations so we never have a full crew in house.
This is all sort of inside baseball shit...

Something I've noticed from the beginning of this COVID whatever.
It is supposed to be a three pronged attack.
Masks: There are mandates in place all over the country (all but 13 states which leave it up to counties, and SD which has no mask mandates.) to wear masks. This is supposed to help stop the spread, but the 14 (and especially ND) states don't seem to do any worse. But I understand. Masks DO help contain the spread. So do shields. Okay. Masks and/or shields in place.
Social Distancing: Don't even go there. This is words only. People will walk right up to you at any time for any reason. Go to the grocery store and see all the people ignoring the one-ways, reaching right in front of others, etc. There are no mandates. There are no social distancing police. There is no way you could enforce this, and people (for the most part that I observe) ignore this part.
Hand Washing: Nope. Besides myself (I work in a meat department, and I take my customers' and my own health seriously), every single person that I observed doing hand washing (when I am in a public restroom) does this wrong. EVERY ONE OF THEM. Again, no mandates, no enforcement, just words. There are probably a few out there besides me, but I have not observed them, even among other employees at my workplace.

Back to Fauci. The bolding in the following quote my own.

Again, you have a comprehension problem.

Fauci has a boss (director of NIH), and a boss's boss (Secretary of HHS), and a boss's boss's boss (POTUS). By law, he has to follow their orders - and that purview includes all public statements made as a representative of the Federal Government. Every administration installs public relations appointees near the top of every agency. The politicians - by authority of the United States constitution - have control over public messaging.

That is not political pressure. That is Fauci's defined role in the Federal Government as head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease.

I appreciate the information of the by law chain of command. By whose order would you posit resulted in Fauci's statement that it makes "common sense" 2 masks would be more effective than one? His boss, his boss's boss, or his boss's boss's boss? Or was that statement made off the cuff in an unofficial capacity? If so, would you consider that at least irresponsible, or at worst a dereliction of duty?

The second part of Fauci's 2 masks make "common sense" statement was, "“That’s the reason why you see people either double masking or doing a version of an N95.”

Personally, the first time I saw anyone wearing 2 masks was at the events surrounding Biden's inauguration. In fact, in many of the articles quoting Fauci's statement on 2 masks, the inauguration is mentioned as an example of people wearing 2 masks. Quite positively, I might add. The inauguration was the 20th(?), and Fauci's statement was a few days after the inauguration. Are those people wearing 2 masks at the inauguration the "people" to which Fauci was referring in his statement? Strange, that, isn't it? It would almost appear that Fauci was somehow influenced by a political event to make a statement that he would within an additional short time later have to kind of sort of retract. Or we can be kind and say his opinion evolved from the previous bullshit that spewed from his smarmy pie hole.

One thing is for certain, we can rest assured that Fauci's statement had nothing to do with politics. To even consider such a thing would be to deny science!....even bad science.

On January 6, in another thread, Supercreep critized me because I stated my opinion that the My Corona thread is perhaps the most important thread here at HR. In my opinion, this thread has been and continues to be important.
I stand by my comment and opinion.
I don't suffer fools easily, and I certainly will not allow my opinions or anyone e!se's opinion to be dismissed by someone who is aligned with the "cancel culture club".
Although there have been times when the thread had been politized, it remains true that TAE
started the thread because he thought it important enough to create the thread "My Corona".

I was informed of the death of the grandmother to two of my grandaughters.

She died due to covid.

The oldest of my two sisters is a registered nurse. She once had been employed at the same nursing home where our mother passed away a few months before Covid.

As chance would have it, my sister was approached in a grocery store by a nurse because she recognized her.

That young nurse, 21 years o!d, who worked there at that nursing home told my sister that she remembered our mother.

That young nurse also to!d my sister that she had been infected by Covid and survived a "small stroke" that she is still recovering from.

On January 6, in another thread, Supercreep critized me because I stated my opinion that the My Corona thread is perhaps the most important thread here at HR. In my opinion, this thread has been and continues to be important.
I stand by my comment and opinion.
Hey man I'm sure SC didn't mean to insult you, he just doesn't see it the way you do. It's really all good.

As far as it being one of the most important threads ever on this BBS ...well there are a lot of good topics on this board and this one was a good one with a lot of PSA's brought to our attention and many a hot button pressed. The Covid-19 pandemic is certainly one of the most impactful natural disasters / world events in our lifetime. That we here in the U.S. are where we are at to me is disturbing and worrisome as to our children's children's future. It is a forever changed world and I for one am frustrated beyond words as to how badly we screwed the pooch and concerned that Big Pharma and the almighty dollar played a role in that ultimate screwing. I have two high school classmates who have passed, a 92 year old aunt, one of my cousins 75 year old husband. Also several people that I was not close with but knew. I know dozens now that have had it and survived and all I know is I sure don't want to get it. I got my first Pfizer shot a few weeks back and am due for #2 next week. So far so good. Stay safe and don't get the Covid!

Early on in this thread I predicted that when they look back in history at the WHO announcing that mask were not necessary for people who didn't have the Virus it would be considered the biggest mistake made during this nightmare...

It appears Matt Pottinger Former Deputy of the national security administration agrees.

He said this yesterday .. we so screwed it up this didn't have to happen yet here we are more than a year later still all screwed up forced to take experimental vaccines or risk getting a bug that should have been / could have been isolated to a few 10's of thousands not millions...we're lame.

"forced to take experimental vaccines"? They issuing medical staff with guns now? :unsure:

Good to see you all still arguing about stuff. I missed you. :LOL:

"forced to take experimental vaccines"? They issuing medical staff with guns now?
Just as the vaccines became available to my group, they pull it. The P1 strain in South America has a window for a mutation where the vaccine will no longer be effective. Then after 8 months in trial the efficacy of the 2 dose system has failed in South America numerous times. The body no longer was immunized.

So the people in charge are whispering that it will be a yearly booster.

Vaccines aren't gonna make heard immunity a reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back