MXL v67m & v67G

Has anyone tried these as drum overheads and if they have could you post a sample.

Wondering same thing about overheads, although I bet they'd make nice ass room/ambiance mics at least.
Good price... the top end and how smooth it really is would become pretty apparent with overheads and cymbals I think.

Hey Guys,

Thought you might be interested in this. Justkind of confirms what we came up with. I wrote MXL and asked there advice. Attached is my letter below and their response:
==========================================

Hello,
I am a home recording enthusiast and have recently become aware of the MXL v67 Microphone. It is quite the buzz and many of my fellow musician's own them. I am interested in hearing from you of any differences if any between the MXL v67g as offered by many retailers and the MXL v67m as offered by the marsmusic. I would greatly appreciate your assistance with this matter, as the sales staff of Mars was unable to advise. Many people are speculating, but I would love to be able to assist others with the word from the proper source. Thanks very much in advance,

James

Response:

Hi,
The mics are very similar. the MARS mic is internally wired with Mogami Cable which influences the top end response and the round grill and larger holes definatly affect the sound of certain frequencies thru the 67G. I guess, the biggest difference is price between the stores, which will soon change.
MXL.

========================================

Maybe we should get more of the 67m's while we can!

Fangar

So what you guys are saying is......

So what you guys are saying is that the V67G and the V67M have essentially the same frequency characteristics? I just received mine from Mars. It is a V67-B!. And the kicker is that the frequency SPECS show a dropoff at the 15k region unlike a the 67G.. Does that mean I will be losing some high end off my vocals right off the bat, or is this a "typo" according to Marshall themselves??? What the frick is going on here??? Thanks ----ROB

Last edited:
Help, Henrik! Round grill? Larger holes?

Henrik,

Since you had access to both mics, was the grill any different between the two? My understanding was that visually, they were identical other than color.

And could MXL have been any more vague? What does "influences the top end response" mean? Better? If so, why is it so much less?
And when he says that the price difference between stores will soon change, does that mean that the price will go up at Mars, or down everywhere else? Or will Mars no longer distribute them? Usually when something is being discontinued, or being dropped by Mars, they state in their flyer that 'quantities are limited'. No such statement this time, just 'new, lower price'.

Maybe Harvey's friend at MXL could shed some light.

Just when you thought it was safe to back into the recording department... :confused:

Or...

Or maybe MXL is getting ready to roll out an updated model with a -10db pad and/or bass cut?

I thought it was a price cut in response to competition from SP & Behringer.

Probably still good enough for me at that price-point, though.

Man, I'm never gonna be able to save up enough for that sm-7!

Hey guys,

I only ppsted that Email as I thought it to be interesting. In my honest opinion, I am going to stick with the post from valdemar
(See Above) that shows the specs that he achieved in a test using both models. I would have to say that it does not get too much more clear than that.

Sound Diagnosis,

Take a look at valdemar's post. You will see that both of the mics had the same drop at 15k.

Fangar

Don't get too anal about microphone frequency response curves. Most don't accurately reflect what you really hear when using the mic. The Neumann U47 was not particularly flat in response and it didn't go out all that far either, but it's one of the best mics ever made. While the U47's response curve was nothing much to look at, the U47 had "magic" built in.

MarkH,

I think what Markd was groaning about, was the fact that no-one is importing Marshall mics into Aust., as yet............and what mics are being imported are bloody expensive............e.g. Behringer ECM8000 are still retailing here for the equivalent of $99 US., and that is after the "big" price reduction that Behringer made such an issue of a while back............. Go figure.

:cool:

Hi, I can't see any difference in the grill between the two. I actually counted the number of vertical 'wires' on each mic. 46 on the front of each mic. The gauge seems the same as well, It's kind of hard to compare the black wire with the gold wire but to my eyes...

The one purpose of posting the measuring curves was to show that my two very 'different' specimens show the same carachteristics. I already knew that they sounded the same, just thought of it as a fun thing to do with my school time.

The frequency response in itself is of partial importance to me. The measurements of my mics (V67's, Qmic, Milab VM-41's, SM57, C1000s, MXL603s's) looked nothing like what I would've expected from their sound but who cares? I bought my first V67 by a coincidence, I was in the U.S., had heard about the MXL2001p being real cheap, and in the Mars store in Boston they had them set up with headphones. I tried it for the fun of it and to my surprisre 'the other' MXL mic (turned out to be the V67) did something to my voice that I liked a lot, so I shelled out a little more (I don't remember how much) and got the V67. I haven't regretted it for a second as you might've guessed.

Oh, well, all this rambling was to reach _my_ conclusion that _I_ absolutely would not buy a mic based on specs! It's been said so many times and for me it's oh so true. If you can't try out mics (as I can't where I live), trust someone's (Harvey Gerst) ears once and see if you like what _your_ ears hear too. The 603's (Harvey's recommendation) haven't really done it for me on the application I intended them for (acoustic guitar) but the Sound is not very far away... I use them all the time for all sorts of things and overheads.

There's also always the possibility that buying a mic not really 'suited' for your application or a mic that not everyone's buying could give you a sound that makes you stand out, even if it's not the 'cream of the crop gear' well known sound.

Regards,
/Henrik

P.S
Despite my opinion on frequency response curves I'll post my measurements of the other mics in the near future. I'm a recording geek like you and just plain enjoy endulging in my hobby... ;)

Harvey Gerst said:
Don't get too anal about microphone frequency response curves. Most don't accurately reflect what you really hear when using the mic. The Neumann U47 was not particularly flat in response and it didn't go out all that far either, but it's one of the best mics ever made. While the U47's response curve was nothing much to look at, the U47 had "magic" built in.

I agree Harvey. But the post from valdemar is a good reference just to point out that the response curves of the two mics are almost identical. That should be the biggest indicator on not whether one would like the Mic, but that they are in fact very much the same in response. Cheers!

Fangar

I just wanted to know, like everyone else here did, are they or are they not the same mic. Val's test seemed to indicate once and for all, that yes, they are the same, and that was good enough for me. What set me off was the response from MXL insinuating that there were differences other than color and cable. He seemed to imply that the grill was of a different shape and mesh size, which would influence the sound. Now that Val has re-affirmed that no, the grill & mesh appear to be the same, I'm satisfied again. I agree that you can't hear a mic by it's specs, but you can tell whether or not they are the same mic. I just wanted to make sure that a non-returnable Mars v67m would have the same 'magic' as a v67g. I realize that it still might not be the mic for me, but I'm willing to try it if I'm sure that it's exactly the same mic that everyone else is talking about. It still makes you wonder about the price difference though, doesn't it?

Thanks very much to Valdemar for hopefully ending this debate once and for all. Three cheers for Valdemar! Way to go, bud! You da man!:cool:

Fangar said:

I agree Harvey. But the post from valdemar is a good reference just to point out that the response curves of the two mics are almost identical. That should be the biggest indicator on not whether one would like the Mic, but that they are in fact very much the same in response. Cheers!

Fangar
Of course you're right, Fanger, and I agreed with Henrik that his curves matched pretty much my impressions of the mic's sound.

My last comment about being anal was aimed at SOUND DIAGNOSIS actually, where he expressed concern about the 15kHz dropoff on the V67. Anyone who is looking for a mic with a straight line frequency response should be looking at B&K, Earthworks, or the Behringer ECM8000 - and all of those are pretty boring on vocals, but spectacular on almost everything else.

Hi all,
Is the MXL V67M Studio Microphone good for Live performances?
I have no clue when it comes to mics. I have only used shure 58 & 57's. Is this mic much better than the shure for live music?

Thanks
John

Mic received.....Tinker-tyme begins

Finally got a chance to marry my new V67 and Joemeek VC3Q and the couple will definately live happily ever after!. (They are honeymooning in Cakewalk right now) ;) After a bit of tinkering with various levels on recording my voice, the resultant test recordings are clean, crisp and velvety, and most important a TRUTHFUL representation of my voice with essentially no noise observed with my Koss phones on. Special thanks go to Mr. Harvey Gerst and all on these boards for the many great suggestions which enabled me to finally compile my tools to do battle with a quarter of a century of pent-up musical ideas. You guyz are da' bestessess, hands-down.! ----ROB

Hey Ausrock.

I got around that one :D
My mother has a Friend in New York (well, close enough) . He bought it for me and it's on it's way to me now for the grand total of $229 AUD including shipping!!!!!
Should have it in 3-4 weeks. (slow shipping to save $$$) I'm in no huge hurry.

Mark

Now that's interesting......I just looked back to see what I was really groaning about and both my post and Mark H's response belong to another thread. (Can't remember which one) :confused: No idea how they got here.
Hiccup in the bbs software I guess.

Mark

Back