MXL 960 mods...

guitar junkie

Guitar User.
So I have been using my MXL 960 for a while and when I first got it I was not all that impressed when it was plugged into my firepod...

So I removed the cheep tube and put in a NOS GE 12ax7 that took some of the hiss out of it, made the bass warmer... I removed the inner two layers of mesh from the headbasket and now the mids almost seem to rip my head off on acoustic guitar and vocals just seem so much more nasal...

Just wondering what other mods can be done on this thing, and maybe something to change out the sound from those crazy mids... And yes my room sounds good, and is well treated.

:cool:

Seems maybe a lower gain tube is worth a shot? I really can't afford a new capsule for this thing with my current job, but someday I would like to try one...

I ripped the guts out and built a new mic entirely.

Not sure you want to go that route, but what I ended up with was amazing!:D

I prefer a Mullard 4024 in mine. I've also pulled out the extra layers of mesh. Most dramatically, I swapped the stock capsule for a Peluso CEK 89s, which really helped clear up the mids.

I will try for an 12AT7 then... I can get those from my local CB repair guy...

I have had more useful tone from my Oktava 219 so far...

I will try for an 12AT7 then... I can get those from my local CB repair guy... I have had more useful tone from my Oktava 219 so far...

No doubt. Your comment speaks to the natural, slightly mid-ranged focused / non-sibilant top end of the Oktava 219 capsule - the closest I've ever heard to the Neumann K47 sound from a non-K47 type capsule.

No doubt. Your comment speaks to the natural, slightly mid-ranged focused / non-sibilant top end of the Oktava 219 capsule - the closest I've ever heard to the Neumann K47 sound from a non-K47 type capsule.

I will have to take your word for it, since I don't have a way of comparing the two...:cool:

Back