MXL 603 Price

Found these two MXl 603 pairs on different sites. But... What is the difference between these two pairs? Thanks.
The Universal ad says that their 603's connect via USB and have omni capsules.

The Audio Gear Ad shows that their pair connects with XLRs but they do not say which capsules. My guess is that they are cardioid not omni.

Check out the MXL.com link: http://www.mxlmics.com/products/Studio_mics/603/v603.html

B&H has them for $159 FYI (must "add to cart" to see lower price) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423843-REG/MXL_603_PAIR_603S_Stereo_Set.html

Ah.

I did check out the MXL site but I didn't really see anything about the difference between the two. They look identical just looking at them and from the specs, except for what you mentioned.

Thanks.

Which is huge.

:D Yep.

Wonder why the MXL site doesn't include these mics in the USB section of their site? Looked through it again and couldn't find anything about them. Oh well, doesn't matter, since I'm buying the other ones.

Thanks again.

Has anyone shopped with "Universalmania"? The MXL v67g is only $79.41!!!! I wonder if Musician's Friend would match that as they have the shock mount?? Thanks.

peace

MusiciansFriend.com Stupid Deal of the Day order:

2 MXL 603S Pencil Instrument Microphone @$29.99 Total=$59.98 07/29/08

My first pair, ordered a number of years before, was like the one you posted---at the same price. I don't know if I would pay $200 for them now but I might replace a pair if they went missing.

Well, not knowing what you want to record:

Option 1: A used set of SP C-4s or, dream on, a used set of Oktava MK012 mics (hey, even the Chinese ones are a step up)

Option 2: A pair of MXL 991 mics ($100); a pair of Audix shock mounts ($50); a set of MXL omni caps ($50); sell the pair of MXL990 mics that came with the 991s (cut the foam and keep one of the cases for your 991s). I don't hear much difference between the 603 and the 991---nothing that placement won't ameliorate. This is probably a waste of time unless you can score big for the 990 mics---good luck with that.

Option 3: A pair of MXL 604 mics---more options and more versatile

Option 4: A pair of Behringer C2 mics ($60) and a pair of Superlux shockmounts ($40) or Audix shockmounts ($50).

Option 5: A pair of Behringer C-3 mics ($120) and a pair of Nady shockmounts ($40) (note that these mics, unlike the rest, have a 16mm diaphragm)---more options and more versatility.

Option 6: If you can live without cardioid, check out Naiant.

Good luck,
Paj
8^)

Has anyone shopped with "Universalmania"? The MXL v67g is only $79.41!!!! I wonder if Musician's Friend would match that as they have the shock mount?? Thanks.

peace

No, I never have bought from them.

As for Musicians Friend or Zzounds for matching prices, Guess you'll just have to ask I did a matching price from Zzounds once and they beat the other price.

As for what I want them for, I'm a solo fingerpicking acoustic guitarist. That's it. I don't need them for OH or anything else. Just acoustic guitar.

I do have a set of MSH-2 mics, which I actually haven't experimented much with. I've just heard some really good things about the MXL 603's. Especially after the mods you can get. Hopefully mod them in the future.

I'm using a pair of MXL V67's now, but they are a little dark for my taste. I'm just not getting much high end from them on my Taylor 710. The Taylor isn't one of the brightest guitars to begin with, and I'm having to EQ to much. I'd prefer not to have to do that. The Naiants are better from the one time that I used them. I'll experiment a little more with them before committing to the MXL's or any other mics.

Looked at most of the mics you mentioned, but kind of settled on the 603's. I've heard some clips from XLR (Tim), and he seems to get a good tone from them. I did a search and he and many others here recommended them. Then again, most everyone here has recommended all of the mics you mentioned. :D

Last edited:
XLR does pretty well with the Naiants, too (but in fairness, with that sound in the room and playing, could probably make a recording we'd all want to listen to using his cell phone)

The 603s are not usable without some mods, imo - to noisy and phasey/crappy sounding (at least all the ones I've heard, all of which were manufactured in the last few years - dunno about the earlier ones). Just keep that in mind. After swapping capacitors on mine, they were usable, but I preferred other mics, like MK-012 and SM-81. I got mine *heavily* modded by Marik, and now they're my favorite for acoustic guitar. He may not be doing that mod anymore, but I understand that Joly is doing them.

Experiment with the Naiants when you have time - you'll be able to get some great tracks.

Right now Musician's Friend is running a deal where if you buy an MXL 992, you get a free 603. I ended up getting two 992s and two 603s for under $200.

And honestly, I've been using the hell out of the 603s, a lot more than the 992s.

Right now Musician's Friend is running a deal where if you buy an MXL 992, you get a free 603. I ended up getting two 992s and two 603s for under $200. And honestly, I've been using the hell out of the 603s, a lot more than the 992s.
So you bought 2 mics you don't use? ;)
It may be a "good deal" but for $150ish you get a matched pair of 603's, not just 2 603's. :eek:
You could take the $50 difference and start saving for a much better large diaphragm mic than the MXL 992. :rolleyes:

XLR does pretty well with the Naiants, too (but in fairness, with that sound in the room and playing, could probably make a recording we'd all want to listen to using his cell phone)

The 603s are not usable without some mods, imo - to noisy and phasey/crappy sounding (at least all the ones I've heard, all of which were manufactured in the last few years - dunno about the earlier ones). Just keep that in mind. After swapping capacitors on mine, they were usable, but I preferred other mics, like MK-012 and SM-81. I got mine *heavily* modded by Marik, and now they're my favorite for acoustic guitar. He may not be doing that mod anymore, but I understand that Joly is doing them.

Experiment with the Naiants when you have time - you'll be able to get some great tracks.

Will be experimenting with the Naiants this coming week. Have a CD's worth of guitar needing recording.

Hmm... Not happy about hearing about the 603's. I've seen the Jolly site. I've even found a site that shows how to do the mod. I happen to know a computer hardware engineer who could mod them in his sleep.

Thanks.

Right now Musician's Friend is running a deal where if you buy an MXL 992, you get a free 603. I ended up getting two 992s and two 603s for under $200.

And honestly, I've been using the hell out of the 603s, a lot more than the 992s.

Thanks for the thought, but don't believe I need that many mics for what I'm doing. The 992's would just end up collecting dust somewhere.

peace

Same mic at shopping.com for $77. GC matched the price plus 17% under that with free shipping! now this was 12/09 don't know if that price is still up there but check it out.

So you bought 2 mics you don't use? ;)
It may be a "good deal" but for $150ish you get a matched pair of 603's, not just 2 603's. :eek:
You could take the $50 difference and start saving for a much better large diaphragm mic than the MXL 992. :rolleyes:
Actually I was looking for low cost LDCs, and just happen to come across that deal. I had no plans on buying the 603s, but have ended up using them quite a bit in live situations.

I got my 603s when they were offereing them free with MXL2001 mics for $100...but I was able to sell the MXL2001 mics...ultimatlely the pair costed me about $50...and Ive been offered $150 for them.

Back