MXL 603 Price

I got my 603s when they were offereing them free with MXL2001 mics for $100...but I was able to sell the MXL2001 mics...ultimatlely the pair costed me about $50...and Ive been offered $150 for them.

Interesting idea, but I'm worried about them not being a close enough match to one another, and having the same problem with EQing again. Thanks for the thought though.

603s?

I wonder what kinds of results folks on here are getting with these mics?

I've been trying to get a good sound with these mics on my Martin OM, and the sound is always heavy on the low end and weak on the high end, and not very clear overall, yet these mics have numerous good reviews on other sites. I have them in xy, at varying distance from the 10th fret, and the results are always the same poor quality. Thinking of upgrading to a pair of Rode NT5's.....

Regarding that price discrepancy, as another member mentioned, I also found that the one has a USB connection and the other XLR, I think thats the difference, I got mine from B&H with XLR connectors

I've been trying to get a good sound with these mics on my Martin OM, and the sound is always heavy on the low end and weak on the high end, and not very clear overall, yet these mics have numerous good reviews on other sites. I have them in xy, at varying distance from the 10th fret, and the results are always the same poor quality.
Maybe it's the wrong mic positioning. I don't have that problem recording most Martin guitars using MXL 603's.

603's are the first mic I reach for when tracking acoustic guitar.

As Harvey said, mic placement but also consider the acoustic environment.;)

:cool:

I've been trying to get a good sound with these mics on my Martin OM, and the sound is always heavy on the low end and weak on the high end, and not very clear overall, yet these mics have numerous good reviews on other sites. I have them in xy, at varying distance from the 10th fret, and the results are always the same poor quality. Thinking of upgrading to a pair of Rode NT5's.....

Regarding that price discrepancy, as another member mentioned, I also found that the one has a USB connection and the other XLR, I think thats the difference, I got mine from B&H with XLR connectors

Maybe it's the wrong mic positioning. I don't have that problem recording most Martin guitars using MXL 603's.

603's are the first mic I reach for when tracking acoustic guitar.

As Harvey said, mic placement but also consider the acoustic environment.;)

:cool:

Sure sounds like placement and/or room sound. If I have any trouble with a 603 it is usually too much high end. Actually, it's a good choice for taming the Martin boominess. And, IMO the NT5's would not be an upgrade from the 603's. You would need to get into SM81 territory for that.

I have one of the early 603s and a Russian MK012. They are very close in sound IMO on acou guit--both very nice. Can't speak for the newer 603s.

There are a lot more choices in SDCs nowdays, so I wouldn't know what to choose.

I agree that mic positioning is the best eq for acou guit. Skill in this area is as important as the equipment used IMO.

There are a lot more choices in SDCs nowdays, so I wouldn't know what to choose..

Yeah, that's the problem...

I'm actually toying with the idea of just getting a couple new LDC's that are a little less dark than the MXL67's I have. I've tried multiple different mic positions and nothing seems to help these mics.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Appreciate the comments.

Back