Musician's Advocate: What a joke!

hehe

i wasn't around when this first came up, so thanks for bumping it back to the top.

i still haven't heard of this joint, but that doens't mean much.

Anyway, Brad, (if you still exist), don't worry too much about chessrock. You'd think by now he'd be used to being called names by CEO's of audio-related companies. Hell, usually he's called a lot worse. (do a search for "Alan Hyatt" for examples.):p

Cheers to Zek for binging me a timely christmas present. It's always nice to stroll down memory lane and have a few laughs at the expense of one of my favorite assclowns. Merry Christmas, Brad, wherever you may be. It's guys like you who make the likes of Banjo Center and Sam Ass look like perfectly viable alternatives. :D

I've bought many mic's from Musician's Advocate on Ebay with no problems. What can I say, it was a good deal.

I actually bought a mic from him on ebay as well. It was a smooth transaction but I won't be buying from them again after seeing this thread. I don't care if some calls a retailer a cumstain! You just don't act that way if you're a CEO of a company. Especially not in public. There are many alternative ways to address issues such as these. Chess was absolutely correct about failing to seize the opportunity.
I don't remember specific threads, but I remember reading threads where Alan Hyatt was "put to the test" about Studio Projects stuff and he was cool about it. I don't remember reading anything bad that he replied with.

Just my .02!
RF

A lot of company representatives are merely lacking in practice and/or training as to how to effectively deal with the inevitable unhappy customers or critics who will pop up from time to time. I've been in that situation countless times myself, and from my experience, you laugh at the customer behind his back, make jokes with your co-workers (behind closed doors), but you NEVER under any circumstances lose your cool with potential customers in front of their face. It's just bad kharma.

Here's a case in point where Alan asked me if I was sucking Fletcher's thing. :D Notice also the ensuing pissing match between himself and Tom Cram (of dbx):

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=66706&highlight=dbx+akg

Actually, I think it's kinda' funny, because Alan normally conducts business and services his customers exceptionally well. And he's got his own methods going on as far as leveraging internet chat boards for marketing purposes. Very clever dude, actually.

His only downfall is that he defends his company and products too hard instead of letting their quality and the word of mouth they generate speak for him. Very much like our friend, Brad, here in the case of Musician's Advocate. You can't be there to squash every bad comment or criticism.

Alright Alan . . . Brad . . . session's over. Both of you flunked this test, but I hope you learned some things you can apply in the future when similar critisizms erupt. Can we let this thread die yet?

The secret to failure is to try and please everyone (can't believe I'm quoting Bill Cosby).

Okay... after reading that post in your link chess, maybe Blue Bear would've been a better example of someone being cool headed when attacked !!:D But I think i stated my opinion clear enough....

RF

Re: Final Thoughts

bradbass said:
Yes the website blows chucks right now, because I am having someone design an enitirely new site as we speak, and apologize for the Front Page generated spool of sh*t that exists right now.

Chunks? Sh*t?
Professionalism?

chessrock said:
Actually, I think it's kinda' funny, because Alan normally conducts business and services his customers exceptionally well. And he's got his own methods going on as far as leveraging internet chat boards for marketing purposes. Very clever dude, actually.

His only downfall is that he defends his company and products too hard instead of letting their quality and the word of mouth they generate speak for him. Very much like our friend, Brad, here in the case of Musician's Advocate. You can't be there to squash every bad comment or criticism.

This seems to be the major difference of opinion that gets you and I into so much trouble. You think it one way, and I seem to look at it another way. You say I am leveraging the internet for marketing purposes. I say I am helping people and asking questions to make sure they get the right choice of mic, or to ask them about products they need so we can build them. If that is leveraging the market for marketing, then so be it, but I just do not agree with that statement. I am not Spamming or selling.

Perhaps in the early days I made some mistakes by not knowing how these boards work, but it has been ages already since that happened. The majority of these members know this. I don't sell, Spam or market. You need to let this go. :)

Often it is the manner in which you write that to me is insulting. You may not see it but others do, so maybe you could try to understand that others take things differently. Sometimes you just seem to want to make insults and simply don't care. You must realize that it is this style of writing or behavior that starts the nasty rebuttals.

When that happens to me, I am defending myself Chessrock...not my company as your insults are directed towards me. I know you have not attacked our products or our company. As forTom Cram, he started a post on ProSound Web that went like...What it is about Alan Hyatt that you just hate or how I bug him. Yes, Tom and I don't see eye to eye. He only comments to me when he can throw in a negative comment. He does not ever chime in on the basis of the thread. So we continue to have this problem.

Now do you notice that I don't post other threads to try and let the anger linger on, or to try and defend my position? What purpose does it serve? Everyone knows that there are a few guys on the boards that like to personally attack me and others. They may think they have their reasons, but there are always two sides of a story, and you and the others are not always right, yet when there is an opportunity, you attack. :confused:

Just like this last incident where you were commenting on high end mic amps. I started my response with "I don't mean to sound rude", but.... Then I went on about the gear. You attacked me with weight joks, called me other names and generally were pretty foul about it, while all I was saying was, wait...whats up with this. I don't mean to be rude, but what gear do you own that you are talking about. Now maybe you saw that as as an attack. It was not, yet you took it that way, so I am sorry because while it was not writen that way, I can see how you might take it that way, but you need to look into a mirror and figure out how others take you as well. Again with all due respect, your not very cool on these boards when you come back and say you live for that! It may be funny, but I bet it misunderstood more than thought of as funny.

It is easy for a person on these boards to say things to a computer that they would not say face to face. All this does is breed shit on the boards and the usefulness ends up going nowhere.

Now I don't want you to think this is a bash Chessrock post...it is not! This is just a response to your post which hopefully will get you to look at the other side before you post back.

I made this kind of mistake to littledog on another thread and felt real bad after I got his meaning. I told him I was sorry, but this is what I am talking about. You don't know, I don't always know, and others don't always know what the meanings are behind the words.

Think about it....:) :)

As for Brad, I know Brad and do not do business with him, but maybe he misunderstood the words.....

Alan,

I would like to give you my own perspective, which may be different than anyone elses on these boards if you will hear me out.

First, I have no problem with you explaining the uses of your products or giving advice on those products. I don't even have a problem with you mentioning the new stuff you are working on. Although I don't own any Studio Projects gear, I do own a Meek MQ3. I've even used your advice on how to get good results from it and I am grateful. From the feedback, SP stuff is incredible bang for the buck. I recommend it to people based on that alone.

I certainly won't drop in and insult you becasue I respect you very much. Your experience in engineering and production of high quality mics and pre's impresses me.

Here is my one problem--take it or leave it. Although you have an incredible amount of knowledge to share, you don't bother. Your posts are ALL about your companies products. You have a lot to offer, but your agenda is always Studio Projects, bottom line. Thats fine as far as it goes, but--Alan--this is a forum for sharing knowledge and you don't seem to want to share yours unless it involves somebody using or purchasing SP gear. Yes, you talk about other mics and pres in your responses sometimes, but its nothing that really adds to anyones knowledge of recording. Thats a shame. You are sitting on all this know how and experience. Has it ever occured to you that if you offered more of this experience here, the good karma it would create might help your company even more? Hell, even Tom Cram jumps in on subjects other than DBX. Oh--and even I, and many, many others offer comments about anything we are familiar with, because that is the spirit of sharing that makes this BBS great.

Do as you like. You are a busy man. I like your company and your pursuits. I mean nothing negative to you. I'm just suggesting that a little altruism--without concern for your position or bottom line would be both welcome and very valuable in addition to the posts you do share. Harvey Gerst has become a diety(almost) by virtue of the help he has offered here--and he has no agenda at all. My challenge to you is to do the same. Talk about SP all you want and answer questions, but becomer a real member here and get into some unrelated topics.

I say all this with respect, believe me. I want guys like you to hang out here. Maybe you have never had to deal with a knowlegeable person who refused to share. I have and I don't like it. In your case, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Peace,

Al

I personally don't care whether Alan chooses to talk more about recording techniques, or not. We get plenty of input on those subjects from ones who feel compelled to comment about them.

It's a rare thing for end users like ourselves to have access to someone like Alan, the proprieter of a manufacturing company. Goodness gracious, how many products do you use, where you have that kind of access to the President of the company. Any one of us can engage him on these boards, or e-mail him personally for that matter.

The few people who've had problems with his products have had personal access to him, and he has come through in a large way. It's almost like he's delighted at these opportunities, because it gives him a chance to show how serious he is about standing behind his products.

Alan,

In reading your post, I see where you mentioned about chessrock making weight jokes.

In the thread where a picture was posted of you, I made a joke about you needing to lay off of the beans and taders. Some others joined in on the teasing.

I hope that was taken in the nature it was meant. I sincerely apologize if it in any way was hurtful. I'm kind of a fat boy, and could stand to drop about 70 lbs. So I kid around about it with my friends a lot, and they kid around with me, giving me a hard time. It was in that same light-hearted spirit that I was razzing you. I think you're a great guy, with a passion for what you do. I respect you, and would never purposely say anything hurful.

Taylor

crawdad said:
Alan,
Maybe you have never had to deal with a knowlegeable person who refused to share. I have and I don't like it. In your case, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Peace,

Al

Al,

You have explained yourself very well. I do not take anything you said as offensive. You are correct in what you say. In the beginning I did share, but then when I did, I was questioned on what I said by some home recording guys who knew nothing. It has made me not want to respond on anything else.

My experiences are quite extensive and I have done some very high profile sessions, but I just don't talk about them. I am not doing sessions anymore. I am a manufacturer and designer for Pro Audio Products. This is what I like to talk about now. In fact, I don't get asked much about technical applications anymore, but if asked I would answer.

My other issue is if I did comment even as Harvey has, I would still get railed as Harvey has on many occaisions based on opinion. So you can say I am gun shy, but then again, Harvey has a recording studio. I have a Pro Audio Manufacturing company. Harvey talks about recording, and I talk about current and hopefully future gear.

Harvey and myself have a great deal of respect for each others talents. He is so good with sharing, it is like I don't need to. In either case, I hear what you are saying. If you want my opinions or assistance, then just ask me, but ask me off the boards.

You all can e-mail me at alan@pmiaudio.com to have your questions answered. Just please remember, we have a company to run, so give us some time to reply. :D

MrZekeMan said:
. I respect you, and would never purposely say anything hurful.

Taylor

No problems Taylor. Maybe we can all get to a point of understanding rather than pissing each other off as much. Then we can truly get back to discussing the aspects of gear and recording. :D

Back