Musician's Advocate: What a joke!

I live in the UK so all of this doesn't concern me but I must say that I hate it when your looking for a product and you have to call or e-mail for a quote.

It's simple, you advertise the product at the lowest price that you will let it go, say you will try your best to beat any other written quote and state clearly that if you are buying multiple items to contact to arange and negotiate a discount; it's that simple (and then you can devote your time to dealing with customers instead of answering the phone all day).

Re: Go buy your stuff at GC, you deserve each other

bradbass said:
Whatever......... Go to Guitar Center and have some ex-burger flipper make you wait while he talks to his stripper girlfirend on the phone......... We don't want your business.....
You freakin' idiot!!!

What the f*ck?! Sheesh, you make one little suggestion....

Bradbass,

Your powers of persuasion and marketing are indeed strong. I will spend lots of hard-earned money on your business, and tell all my musician friends to do likewise. Way to go! :)

Signed,

The Freakin' Idiot

Last edited:
Re: Re: Go buy your stuff at GC, you deserve each other

neirbo said:

What the f*ck?! Sheesh, you make one little suggestion....

Badgass,

Your powers of persuasion and marketing are indeed strong. I will spend lots of hard-earned money on your business, and tell all my musician friends to do likewise. Way to go! :)

Signed,

The Freakin' Idiot

I think you mean bradbass.

Badgas would probably not be happy about that.

Damn, Chessrock. You have an amazing gift for stirring up a lot of shit over nothing.
------------------------

My mom always told me everyone has a special gift, and that I would find mine in time. :)

Whatever......... Go to Guitar Center and have some ex-burger flipper make you wait while he talks to his stripper girlfirend on the phone......... We don't want your business.....
Hmmmmmmm. No problem.

Chessrock's long post nailed it.

Bradbass-- you LAST reply (with the list of reasons why you don't call back quickly, what you do, etc.) should have been your FIRST. Your first post here was exactly what you should NOT do if you're looking for people to buy stuff from you. A guy from Tunesmith.net (or is it .biz?) took the same approach on the prorec.com board (which CAN be a little uppity, BTW), was flamed to no end, and left a lot of people pissed off and unwilling to check out his services.

Honestly, your first post made me not want to deal with you either!

I understand being pissed at customers/complainers, but you can't let that on! I used to work in the returns department of a well-known department store's furniture outfit. People screamed and swore at me all day (everything arrived broken, it seems!). "Shove those end tables up your ass!" "What are you, a bunch of fucking clowns?" etc. What did I do? I sure didn't tell them what a bunch of losers they were, or how they pissed me off, or that they deserve to buy cheap-ass particle-board assemble-it-yerself furniture. What I DID do is constantly apologize for things that weren't my fault, even if the customer was obviously an idiot. Often I got them to take redelivery over a return; sometimes I got them to buy **more** stuff from the company they had been so very unsatisfied with! Then they apologized to ME. So ass-kissing works in the business world. NEVER, EVER let your customers know what you really think of them! :D

Had you responded to the first post with some sort of gesture (what was it that you wanted? How can I help you now? How about $5 off? etc.) you probably would have gotten lots of folks to rush on over to check out your prices. Insulting a customer, ESPECIALLY in front of a BBS FULL of potential customers, is a good way to go bankrupt. Hope that this thread vanishes soon, cuz it WILL turn off just about everyone who reads it. Your business may be awesome, you may have the best prices there are, but nobody's gonna put up with the sort of attitude you copped in your first post.

If your business is good, I hope you can recover from this little snafu. We always need good cheap gear suppliers!

Now, where's our consulting fees? :D

I spent about $5000 on gear last year. About $7000 the year before that. I'll be making some major purchases this year too. Guess where I won't be spending my cash.

Dayom...was that some "consulting fees" or what? It seems that [with a few exceptions], this whole thread was pro marketing people giving their hard learned tricks o' the sales trade to Musician's Advocate if you ask me. Marketing consulting ain't a bad gig is it?:D

It ain't bad when you actually get paid for it. :)

Kind of tough, though, when a lot of your former clients are dot-coms who had to close shop, largely because they wouldn't listen to the advice you gave them in the first place.

poor brad. I have to agree his post didn't have much business tact....but on the up side, i've bought things from him a few times...and I got a nice low price, fast shipping , and he was friendly...I got my quote via email...as I too shop at odd hours...

Hey Badass,
You should see what Chessrock does to Alan Hyatt. Drives him NUTS! That is his special talent. But all that aside......... Your attitude in response really makes me wonder what would happen if I called your business. What if I asked what you perceived to be a stupid question? Would I be told (impolitely) to go get my stuff at McGuitar Center?

The fact that Bradbass can run a successful internet business gives all of us jackasses hope that some day, we too, can make it. ;)

Wow, Bradbass sounds a lot like like *my* CEO!

We're a $billion plus company (who will remain unnamed in this forum) now, but our founder and CEO still does these rants about the folks who piss him off, mostly Wall Street analysts anymore.

It's some funny shit, but our stock price always takes a beating as a result...

...still, I think it takes some piss-n-vinegar to grow a business from the ground up. Our boy did it over a 30 year stretch, he's got big bucks, a sports team, a trophy wife, funds a hospital research center.

Of course, it takes more than JUST piss and/or vinegar. But if he's got it, we'll all be able one day to say, "I remember Brad when he was just a two man shop and didn't even know enough to keep his tongue in check on a BBS."

Back