Music I like, what do you like??

Not heard of some of those, but some new finds - thanks. It reinforces my long held view that Dylan got to be famous and have fans for no sensible reason whatsoever?

Reactions: RFR
It's fun and interesting to see what other fellow music lovers enjoy.

There are so many - but, for me, there is a shorter list of artists that seem to stay at the top of my listening list. Most of these have been there for 35+ years - in no particular order.

Led Zeppelin
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Steely Dan
Chris Botti
Stone Temple Pilots
Jeff Beck

There are others, of course - but these are the ones that have real staying power.

Last edited:
Big, long time Jeff Beck fan - this is a favorite. Probably my favorite guitar solo by him:

I don't know we're it ranks with Beck fans in-the-know, but I dig that album. The only one I ever bought. Pretty cool it seems he saw everybody going this way, I'll go that way. Legend has it he could be a difficult guy, but he always looks like he's having fun and enjoying what he's doing.

I run across him sometimes on the YouTube and he has(or had) this young chick playing bass. Man, she is awesome. I'm being lazy, so I'm not posting any, maybe later. They look like they're having such fun, and the he looks at her with such pride and encouragement, and she at him like a mentor she wants to make proud. And she does.

Mick, you're talking about Tal Winkenfeld. She held down bass guitar duties with Jeff Beck for quite a few years. Their appearance at Clapton's Crossroads has a great version of Cause We've Ended As Lovers.

Speaking of Jeff Beck, he's incredibly versatile. His Tribute to Les Paul with Imelda May is legendary. They pull off the Les Paul/Mary Ford act like no one else does.

Tal Wilkenfield(sp?) I think her name is. She's a killer player, no doubt.

You guys may know this... Jeff just released another album which collaborated on with Johnny Depp of all people. And Jeff is touring for that album now across the states.

The wife and I are going to coastal Maine for 9 days in early October- Jeff is playing Boston the night that we fly in. Considering going to that. I've seen him before but this might be last chance opportunity.

Agree. His musical imagination and unique phrasing puts him in a class all his own. And he's never seemed to give two fucks about popularity or units sold. Just does his own thing and does it well.

Haven’t found it, but live, he used to do an instrumental version of the Beatles song “A Day in The life”
OMG is all I can say! Simply mesmerizing.

Mick, you're talking about Tal Winkenfeld. She held down bass guitar duties with Jeff Beck for quite a few years. Their appearance at Clapton's Crossroads has a great version of Cause We've Ended As Lovers.

Speaking of Jeff Beck, he's incredibly versatile. His Tribute to Les Paul with Imelda May is legendary. They pull off the Les Paul/Mary Ford act like no one else does.

Yeah, that's her, she's awesome. Thanks for posting that one, it's kind of a semi melancholy drizzly day sitting on the porch with another cup of coffee. Perfect through the Bose. I think I'll spin it again.

Haven’t found it, but live, he used to do an instrumental version of the Beatles song “A Day in The life”
OMG is all I can say! Simply mesmerizing.
There are a few versions out there of him doing that tune - this one (I think from a Japan performance) has always been my favorite. On this tour he had Jennifer Batten as a side gun on guitar and guitar synth (who needs a keyboard player! - just kidding keyboard players:-))

I dig these comments about Jeff from one of my other favorite players on the planet. If I embed this right it should start where Andy comments - but this whole performance is friggin outstanding. BIG Andy Timmons fan here.

It reinforces my long held view that Dylan got to be famous and have fans for no sensible reason whatsoever?
It makes zero sense to me that you summarily dismiss fans of Bob Dylan because they (in your opinion) had zero sensible reasons for being a fan of his music and lyrics. Perhaps you're unaware that Bob Dylan once stated that he never listened to anyone else's music playing on the radio because he didn't want to be influenced by anything he may have listened to. Perhaps Dylan's fans were fans because they appreciated his unique and individual minded approach.

I had avoided Jimi because he was such an obvious choice (for me) I felt like giving other artists a chance, and maybe exposing people to some music they weren’t familiar with?

But Jimi is the best.

I like that you included Head East. They always seemed like a go nowhere band with not too much memorable music, but that one song “never been any reason” makes up for all that.
A truly great song.

Reactions: TAE
Drunk or sober, Dicky Betts remains nearly at the top of the list of great guitar players who has ever played an LP. There's no doubt in my mind that irrespective of Bett's inner demons that may have tormented him personally, his guitar playing and his contribution to the success of the Allman Brothers is simply a matter of record.
Betts wrote Rambling Man. Straight up....Southern rock. Simple....straightforward melody and lyrics. Great song!
In my mind, "In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed" is proof positive that there was something else in Bett's mind going on at the time when he composed the song. Whatever the inspiration was in Bett's mind may have totally been ignored or missed by Greg Allman.m

Dicky Betts talent as a guitar player and composer wasn't lost by Les Paul when Les Paul invited Betts to perform at the Iridium in NYC. Watch the video long enough to see that Les Paul sat there chin in hand totally amazed.

Aside the fact that I consider that Betts ranks nearly on the top of the list of great guitar players....... Jack Pearson contributed more to keep the Allman Brothers alive at a crucial time.
Read the book "My Cross To Bear" for insight.

Back